Words That You Find Amusing, Bemusing or Just Plainly Entertaining

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Making the most of this Indian summer, I spent the day reading in the garden, an old Conan Doyle classic. When I came across the sentence - "She pulled a handkerchief out of her muff and began to sob into it" :) It's funny how language changes over time.
btw are we still allowed to say 'Indian summer' or is that cultural appropriation? :rolleyes:

A very amusing reference and comment.
Of course women don't have muffs these days to warm their hands, or do they? I'm only a man, I wouldn't know these things. ;)
In due course, an 'Indian Summer' will most probably be translated into something like 'the world's second-most populous, South Asian country's belated summer', unless sanity is restored. :rolleyes:

B

Bad_Influence

No, if you check out the dictionary, the word you are referring to is COMBOBULATED. Prefixing a word with 'dis' usually negates the word affixed to it , as in dislike and like; but it is not always the case. As an example: disappoint and appoint, and disperse, which would negate the word perse, if it ever existed. :)
Get help.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Going back to words I find amusing; bad influence often comes to mind. (LOLs to the nth degree). As for being entertaining; well, that is another matter.
:)

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Going back to words I find amusing; bad influence often comes to mind. (LOLs to the nth degree). As for being entertaining; well, that is another matter.

Rollicking. What a fun word, so happy.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Rollicking. What a fun word, so happy.

Oh, and dong comes a close second.
I expect a lot of people say the name 'rings a bell'.
What's brown and sound like a bell? DONG!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I forgot one of my all-time favourites: disgruntled.
Why do you never see gruntled, although it is a word in its own right. I wonder.
:(
Impersonate... though you rarely see personate which is also a word in its own right.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Antidisestablishmentarianism :)

Antidisestablishmentarianism is, in itself, quite esoteric. At the same time, it is practically a double negative in that it is a movement against disestablishment. So, in effect, it is a movement against a movement. ;)
By the way, I did list it from the outset as one of the longest words in the English language.

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
I have a question directed to WP,,, why is Derby pronounced Darby? Another is clerk is pronounced clark? There are other oddities as well, I just can't think of them at the moment.

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
I do have an odd ball word I used to say. Persnickedy. It's another word for being picky about how something is being done.

B

Bad_Influence

I have a question directed to WP,,, why is Derby pronounced Darby? Another is clerk is pronounced clark? There are other oddities as well, I just can't think of them at the moment.

Don’t make him use google too much. We have to be nice to our old folk.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
I do have an odd ball word I used to say. Persnickedy. It's another word for being picky about how something is being done.

The word you are probably trying to pronounce is pernickety. Strangely enough, it does sound quite American, so I can see why it evoked your curiosity.:)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism. Even better. :D:D:D

You imbecilic moron, there is NO such word!
Why don't you adhere to simple monosyllabic words that are more in keeping with your diction?

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
The word you are probably trying to pronounce is pernickety. Strangely enough, it does sound quite American, so I can see why it evoked your curiosity.:)
The question is farther up concerning Derby being pronounced Darby,, what's up with that?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Juxtaposition!
Word belongs in a sex manual. :confused:

Back