Words That You Find Amusing, Bemusing or Just Plainly Entertaining

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
Words are the mainstay of chat rooms and Forums, not to mention the additional emojis.
Here are a few examples of words I personally find amusing, bemusing and plainly entertaining:
Bear and bare - amusingly misused in many circumstances giving rise to humorous imagery.
There, their and they're - … as he 'pats the heads of the transgressors'.
You're and your - probably the most misused of homophones in chat.
Bizarre and bazaar - another homophone but with entirely different meanings.
Vulnerable - yes, there is an l between the u and the n, and IT IS NOT silent! However, the Media seem to think that they can pronounce the word without the l now. I wonder why this is becoming 'pandemic'!
Sophisticated - spelt with a ph and not an f! As is philosophical, only twice.
Circumloquacious - I put this in for obvious reasons.
Peripatetic - ?homophone of 'very pathetic' (amusing).
Misspelling - one that is often misspelled. Misspelt is also acceptable.
Accommodation - apparently one of the most misspelled words.
Rhythm, mischievous and pronunciation seem to pose problems too.
And for good measure, here are the three LONGEST words in the English dictionary:
Antidisestablishmentarianism.
Floccinaucinihilipilification.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
These words alone are often longer than sentences posted in chat rooms.
The Chat rooms and Forums are an endless source and I am sure you all have your own personal favourites.
Which reminds me that we do have u's in words ending in our. ;)

P.S. Forums have an in-built spellchecker, so there really is NO excuse for misspelling in them!

Love this ! my ex and i used to play the word game !! love it Entertaining post WP!

xxwhite_dovexx

Reaction score
Urban Dictionary is a great place to find new and entertaining words !

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Love this ! my ex and i used to play the word game !! love it Entertaining post WP!

Thanks for your comment.
Personally, I think that the Urban Dictionary is a load of childish nonsense written by juveniles FOR juveniles.
The only words you get 'definitions' for in Urban Dictionary tend to be related to disgusting sexual practices that these idiots contrive because they probably do not have a sex life of their own. Who knows, maybe fantasise about.
I wouldn't recommend it if you wish to learn the true definition of words.
On that matter, I will state as I always state, that there is NO need to redefine words when their original meaning is well-established in the first place.
I think people are starting to change things now just for the damned sake of it and seemingly have 'more time on their hands' to waste.
:rolleyes:

xxwhite_dovexx

Reaction score
Thanks for your comment.
Personally, I think that the Urban Dictionary is a load of childish nonsense written by juveniles FOR juveniles.
The only words you get 'definitions' for in Urban Dictionary tend to be related to disgusting sexual practices that these idiots contrive because they probably do not have a sex life of their own. Who knows, maybe fantasise about.
I wouldn't recommend it if you wish to learn the true definition of words.
On that matter, I will state as I always state, that there is NO need to redefine words when their original meaning is well-established in the first place.
I think people are starting to change things now just for the damned sake of it and seemingly have 'more time on their hands' to waste.
:rolleyes:
Have you read "Diary of a Madman " ? the history and might i say an interesting one, of the dictionary. I think its a good read that i read years ago ! And you are correct about the urban dictionary ! the only reason i even know about it is that a few years back i was in training as a Mod and it was recommended for understanding slang in UKChat .

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
'Scrimshanking' I came across this word whilst reading 'Goodbye to all that' by Robert Graves. It means avoiding work. Yep, that's me! I'm a scrimshanker! :)

Tubs

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Disconcerting, laissez-faire, baiting etc are a few more words lol.it depends on how well read you are I suppose

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
I forgot one of my all-time favourites: disgruntled.
Why do you never see gruntled, although it is a word in its own right. I wonder.
:(

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Orgy is shorter.

Did you know that gory is an anagram of orgy, by the way? And so is gyro. Could be useful in Scrabble.
;)

MikieB

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Lollop. Just love the way it rolls off the tongue

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Making the most of this Indian summer, I spent the day reading in the garden, an old Conan Doyle classic. When I came across the sentence - "She pulled a handkerchief out of her muff and began to sob into it" :) It's funny how language changes over time.
btw are we still allowed to say 'Indian summer' or is that cultural appropriation? :rolleyes:

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
So,,,, If I am not confused...am I bobulated?

No, if you check out the dictionary, the word you are referring to is COMBOBULATED. Prefixing a word with 'dis' usually negates the word affixed to it , as in dislike and like; but it is not always the case. As an example: disappoint and appoint, and disperse, which would negate the word perse, if it ever existed. :)

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Making the most of this Indian summer, I spent the day reading in the garden, an old Conan Doyle classic. When I came across the sentence - "She pulled a handkerchief out of her muff and began to sob into it" :) It's funny how language changes over time.
btw are we still allowed to say 'Indian summer' or is that cultural appropriation? :rolleyes:

Well..Schoolgirls used to take their handkerchiefs from their bloomers ... those blue ones of distant memory!

Back