Words That You Find Amusing, Bemusing or Just Plainly Entertaining

Discussion in 'General' started by WickedPerdition, May 21, 2020.

1. WickedPerdition

WickedPerdition UKChat Familiar

Words are the mainstay of chat rooms and Forums, not to mention the additional emojis.
    Here are a few examples of words I personally find amusing, bemusing and plainly entertaining:
    Bear and bare - amusingly misused in many circumstances giving rise to humorous imagery.
    There, their and they're - … as he 'pats the heads of the transgressors'.
    You're and your - probably the most misused of homophones in chat.
    Bizarre and bazaar - another homophone but with entirely different meanings.
    Vulnerable - yes, there is an l between the u and the n, and IT IS NOT silent! However, the Media seem to think that they can pronounce the word without the l now. I wonder why this is becoming 'pandemic'!
    Sophisticated - spelt with a ph and not an f! As is philosophical, only twice.
    Circumloquacious - I put this in for obvious reasons.
    Peripatetic - ?homophone of 'very pathetic' (amusing).
    Misspelling - one that is often misspelled. Misspelt is also acceptable.
    Accommodation - apparently one of the most misspelled words.
    Rhythm, mischievous and pronunciation seem to pose problems too.
    And for good measure, here are the three LONGEST words in the English dictionary:
    Antidisestablishmentarianism.
    Floccinaucinihilipilification.
    Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
    These words alone are often longer than sentences posted in chat rooms.
    The Chat rooms and Forums are an endless source and I am sure you all have your own personal favourites.
    Which reminds me that we do have u's in words ending in our. ;)

P.S. Forums have an in-built spellchecker, so there really is NO excuse for misspelling in them!

2. WickedPerdition

This one. Don't tell me that you weren't aware. I thought it was common knowledge.

Try spelling one of the long words above for verification.

:rolleyes:

3. WickedPerdition

You asked. I told you. Just accept what I say. I haven't got time for timewasters.
    Shame that was all you could contribute to the thread but typical of your posts, nevertheless.

4. WickedPerdition

The word is boring, dear.
    Now that would not have happened if you had used the in-built spellchecker as I previously suggested.
    :rolleyes:

5. LadyOnArooftop

LadyOnArooftop UKChat Familiar

I love the English language. I just wish I had a better grasp of it. Two words I love and find amusing are 'happenstance' and 'serendipity', they have a lovely resonance, the syllables just blend into each other. Oh, and one other word I find amusing and bemusing! is 'nomenclature'. I wish I knew how to use that word correctly :(

WickedPerdition likes this.
  6. WickedPerdition

Happenstance? Now that is a word with which I am unfamiliar. Which proves that we can all learn something just by reading in the Forums. :)
    Serendipity is ... the rare occurrence of finding someone in Forums on the same wavelength as you, isn't it?
    I agree about nomenclature. I now use it, personally, to refer to anything peculiar to a name or a group. For example, the nomenclature of trolls.
    I believe it was originally used in the classification of species in the animal kingdom.

LadyOnArooftop likes this.