Cliques. 'The sheep mentality of chat rooms'?

Do you think chat room cliques exist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
'Unaccustomed as I am' ....... I would love to know what value, if any, people place on being part of a 'chatroom clique'. Or, are they, quite simply, a figment of other chatters' imaginations?
You've all seen how the 'herd community' operates in chatrooms by jointly attack/defending particular chatters, but have you ever considered that you might be part of that herd community yourself?

I often quote the phrase, 'safety in numbers' which itself would compound that a herd community is inevitable. An individual often feels safer when others appear to share the same view as they do.
On this occasion, I am proposing a 'survey'.
The choice is yours.
:)

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
'Unaccustomed as I am' ....... I would love to know what value, if any, people place on being part of a 'chatroom clique'. Or, are they, quite simply, a figment of other chatters' imaginations?
You've all seen how the 'herd community' operates in chatrooms by jointly attack/defending particular chatters, but have you ever considered that you might be part of that herd community yourself?

I often quote the phrase, 'safety in numbers' which itself would compound that a herd community is inevitable. An individual often feels safer when others appear to share the same view as they do.
The choice is yours.
Seen but not herd. That is my motto Mr. Perdition.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score

The choice is yours.

Can we have being nice to people in the choice ?

You spend your whole time on chat goading and insulting people ?

Now you are gonna whine that groups of friends stand up to you ?

Oh please , this thread is ridiculous.

Go butter some toast.

M

mario2

The choice is yours.

I speak for the masses/sheep/herd what ever you want to call it ..... YOUR A NOB. end of baaaaaaaaaaaaaa

M

mario2

Maybe we should have a poll on it???
Somehow i think i know the outcome.............

Clarity

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

Go butter some toast.

WP was asking a genuine question/opinion of people here, why do you feel the need to use it to slate him?

It seems the only threads you think carry any weight are your own!

Either let people post a thread and chatters answer or change it so only mods can post threads.

Clarity

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

The choice is yours.
Yes you do get cliques in chatrooms as you do in most other places its a natural thing, people get to know each other and if they get on then they continue to chat together which leads to defending each other, no different to what goes on outside a chat room. I personally dont get into cliques avoid them like the plague i get on with everyone until they either bully another chatter or just turn into a pratt. I will defend chatters that are been attached by others especially when they are not there to defend themselves. I detest injustice with a passion. I am not afraid to use my block button either as so many others are because they are afraid if missing something or missing the drama they thrive on life is way too short.

Apologies WP I digressed again but no food was mentioned.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
WP was asking a genuine question/opinion of people here, why do you feel the need to use it to slate him?

It seems the only threads you think carry any weight are your own!

Either let people post a thread and chatters answer or change it so only mods can post threads.
I speak from experiences in just 1 chatroom on this site .It`s one which most people enjoy being a part of but has recently lost favour for some unseen reason. I have found ,please don`t call me paranoid ( some will i know !) that if a particular person isn`t in that room the others will chat to me normally .If that person ( plus maybe a partner) is in the chatroom the others won`t chat to me ;in fact i think they probably block me . I don`t need to say a word .The herd mentality is definitely there and yet these people are the first ones to claim that they are independant minded .Ha!.
Put it in equation for ...take 3 members.X is sociable to Y & Z ; Y & Z don`t get along at all. Y is matey with most ( if not all) of the other roomies so when X is in he/she ignores Z to ensure that they stay in with the majority. X is typical of each of the others in that room so Z inevitably gets the cold shoulder.
There is nothing sinister about this result. In online chat people like to feel included so they drift towards the favourite in any room ,even if that favourite has a few failings. That`s life i guess.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I speak from experiences in just 1 chatroom on this site .It`s one which most people enjoy being a part of but has recently lost favour for some unseen reason. I have found ,please don`t call me paranoid ( some will i know !) that if a particular person isn`t in that room the others will chat to me normally .If that person ( plus maybe a partner) is in the chatroom the others won`t chat to me ;in fact i think they probably block me . I don`t need to say a word .The herd mentality is definitely there and yet these people are the first ones to claim that they are independant minded .Ha!.
Put it in equation for ...take 3 members.X is sociable to Y & Z ; Y & Z don`t get along at all. Y is matey with most ( if not all) of the other roomies so when X is in he/she ignores Z to ensure that they stay in with the majority. X is typical of each of the others in that room so Z inevitably gets the cold shoulder.
There is nothing sinister about this result. In online chat people like to feel included so they drift towards the favourite in any room ,even if that favourite has a few failings. That`s life i guess.

Why bother with a Chat room?...What do you actually get out of it?

Last time I was in the rooms they go so Fast no one can get a word in edge ways..! Wheres the fun in that?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score

Go butter some toast.

I'd gladly butter some toast. for Myself....You didn't suck it up...You were created.

Enough said.

B

Bad_Influence

Someone must be seriously powerful if they can stop your ‘friends’ chatting to you huh? He or she must be a chat god or something. :D

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Someone must be seriously powerful if they can stop your ‘friends’ chatting to you huh? He or she must be a chat god or something. :D
I`d prefer to call the person a Pied Piper. Once the room has started to fill with other chatters the PP has moved to gain a flock in another room and seems to be succeeding :). Since then his faithful flock have gradually moved from their old location to the new one ,to be with their leader ,in my opinion :). I have reason to say this as i sit in the old room and watch as they talk about the room being"dead" now .Why "now" ? Only difference i can see is that the PP has pulled up stakes and moved into new HQ eh ? I`m sure you have noticed ?.
This demonstrates clearly a "clique" or "gang" mentality don`t you think ?..

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Sorry ,i missed a bit. I did see the reference to my "friends" .I thought i`d explained that with the maths sum ?. With a Herd /Gang/Clique mentality people tend to want to be with the gang ,so if they see any one person being picked on or bullied they will ignore that persons situation in order to be able to stay with the gang. I think i`ve said it now ?.

B

Bad_Influence

I`d prefer to call the person a Pied Piper. Once the room has started to fill with other chatters the PP has moved to gain a flock in another room and seems to be succeeding :). Since then his faithful flock have gradually moved from their old location to the new one ,to be with their leader ,in my opinion :). I have reason to say this as i sit in the old room and watch as they talk about the room being"dead" now .Why "now" ? Only difference i can see is that the PP has pulled up stakes and moved into new HQ eh ? I`m sure you have noticed ?.
This demonstrates clearly a "clique" or "gang" mentality don`t you think ?..

Damn he really is all-powerful. He now has 2cliques? I’d think it’s more likely that he’s nice to people and just gets on with folk, and doesn’t cry when someone doesn’t talk to him. That’s just my opinion as a chat legend of course. :D

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Damn he really is all-powerful. He now has 2cliques? I’d think it’s more likely that he’s nice to people and just gets on with folk, and doesn’t cry when someone doesn’t talk to him. That’s just my opinion as a chat legend of course. :D
This same person who you refer to as being "nice to people " wasn`t very nice to me a while ago but may happen to be nice in others Eyes eh ?

B

Bad_Influence

This same person who you refer to as being "nice to people " wasn`t very nice to me a while ago but may happen to be nice in others Eyes eh ?

Oh I’m 100% sure he had good a good reason to not be nice to you, he sounds like a decent bloke.

Back