Greatest British comedy character of all time

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
As an ardent fan of humour, as anyone will attest who follows my posts knows, I would love to hear what people thinks is the best, nay greatest, television comedy character ever created in these beloved isles.
My personal favourite is Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers played by the peerless John Cleese.
He is widely regarded as quite probably, the perfect comedy character creation ever and I for one am not inclined to disagree.
In recent times, I have found Dr Alan Statham in Green Wing, played by Mark Heap, to be another major contender. He just oozes eccentric and surreal brilliance. Why he never got his own series as this character is beyond me.If you've never watched Green Wing, you have surely missed out. I would highly recommend it.
I would never rule out the comic genius of Ronnie Barker. His memorable performances as Norman Stanley Fletcher in Porridge and Albert E. Arkwright in Open All Hours showed that he was very likely the greatest British comic (television) actor of all time. His versatility is without equal.

I also found great delight in Rupert Rigsby in Rising Damp, played impeccably by Leonard Rossiter, who also played Reginald Perrin in The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, another surreal comic creation.
In recent times I have very much appreciated the crazy antics of Mark Corrigan and Jeremy Usborne in Peep Show played by David Mitchell and Robert Webb. Practically anything that they are in is simply wonderful.
I would be interested to know anyone else's thoughts on the subject.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Black Adder, It took a comic genius to find humour in the trenches of WW 1
Harold Steptoe, he played the part to perfection. in fact he played it too well because he struggled to find work when the series ended. The public could only see him as 'Steptoe' :(
Ted Bovis, was perfect in Hi De Hi.
Then there's Alan Partridge Ah Ha! :)
and yes, not forgetting my own personal favourite, because I didn't get where I am today without remembering 'Reggie Perrin'.

Snowmanky

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
As an ardent fan of humour, as anyone will attest who follows my posts knows, I would love to hear what people thinks is the best, nay greatest, television comedy character ever created in these beloved isles.
My personal favourite is Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers played by the peerless John Cleese.
He is widely regarded as quite probably, the perfect comedy character creation ever and I for one am not inclined to disagree.
In recent times, I have found Dr Alan Statham in Green Wing, played by Mark Heap, to be another major contender. He just oozes eccentric and surreal brilliance. Why he never got his own series as this character is beyond me.If you've never watched Green Wing, you have surely missed out. I would highly recommend it.
I would never rule out the comic genius of Ronnie Barker. His memorable performances as Norman Stanley Fletcher in Porridge and Albert E. Arkwright in Open All Hours showed that he was very likely the greatest British comic (television) actor of all time. His versatility is without equal.
I also found great delight in Rupert Rigsby in Rising Damp, played impeccably by Leonard Rossiter, who also played Reginald Perrin in The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, another surreal comic creation.
In recent times I have very much appreciated the crazy antics of Mark Corrigan and Jeremy Usborne in Peep Show played by David Mitchell and Robert Webb. Practically anything that they are in is simply wonderful.
I would be interested to know anyone else's thoughts on the subject.

Oz from Auf Pet Series 1 . Just funny . I doubt you can relate mind .

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Oz from Auf Pet Series 1 . Just funny . I doubt you can relate mind .

Did you mean that you doubted that I personally could not relate to Oz in Auf Weidersehen, Pet?
Au contraire, I think ALL the characters in Auf Weidersehen, Pet were superb. Each had their own quirkiness, and quite often, their own storylines.

Regarding the '4 Candles' sketch, I have NO doubt that this was very probably the best sketch ever written in televison comedy. :D
There were no established characters in it though ... so, we might have to move on to the Best Television Comedy Sketch in another thread.

Snowmanky

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
He was funny and working class . Youre not .

Last edited:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Digressing slightly, greatest American comedy characters. .. .
Fraser Crane, great in Cheers, but took it to another level when he got his own show Fraser.
Al Bundy in Married with children
My own personal favourite - Bilko, made in the 1950s and incredibly, the comedy hasn't dated.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
M.A.S.H! For over a dozen years a series to break your heart, raise your spirits, laugh like a drain and also cry like a child.
Wonderful performances by all involved.

milkmonitor

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
toomy cooper had an inate ability to break into violent laughter

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Pity you didn't think the same thing about my tattoo lol.

Let's just stick to the subject matter, please. :rolleyes:

I asked for comedy characters, not comic actors or comedians. I also stated British, as I do not rate American comedy whatsoever.

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Toast of london, funniest thing i saw in years.
Sorry with ronnie as tim lumsden was good family friendly fun.
Poor bleeder couldnt score in a brothel, and when it was looking likely, mother was there to chuck a spanner in the works!
Anyone who hasnt seen ripping yarns, that is well worth a watch,

Back