Greatest British comedy character of all time

Graham_55

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
As an ardent fan of humour, as anyone will attest who follows my posts knows, I would love to hear what people thinks is the best, nay greatest, television comedy character ever created in these beloved isles.
My personal favourite is Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers played by the peerless John Cleese.
He is widely regarded as quite probably, the perfect comedy character creation ever and I for one am not inclined to disagree.
In recent times, I have found Dr Alan Statham in Green Wing, played by Mark Heap, to be another major contender. He just oozes eccentric and surreal brilliance. Why he never got his own series as this character is beyond me.If you've never watched Green Wing, you have surely missed out. I would highly recommend it.
I would never rule out the comic genius of Ronnie Barker. His memorable performances as Norman Stanley Fletcher in Porridge and Albert E. Arkwright in Open All Hours showed that he was very likely the greatest British comic (television) actor of all time. His versatility is without equal.
I also found great delight in Rupert Rigsby in Rising Damp, played impeccably by Leonard Rossiter, who also played Reginald Perrin in The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, another surreal comic creation.
In recent times I have very much appreciated the crazy antics of Mark Corrigan and Jeremy Usborne in Peep Show played by David Mitchell and Robert Webb. Practically anything that they are in is simply wonderful.
I would be interested to know anyone else's thoughts on the subject.

Let's not forget Penelope Keith in the Good Life and to the Manor Born

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
That is interesting and as you, I am happy that the role was given to Clive Dunn. I think that had they taken David Jason on, he would have been better suited for Ian Lavender's role of Private Pike. David Jason displayed the same naivety as young Grenville in Open All Hours although not such a Mummy's boy as Private Pike.

Nina11

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
As an ardent fan of humour, as anyone will attest who follows my posts knows, I would love to hear what people thinks is the best, nay greatest, television comedy character ever created in these beloved isles.
My personal favourite is Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers played by the peerless John Cleese.
He is widely regarded as quite probably, the perfect comedy character creation ever and I for one am not inclined to disagree.
In recent times, I have found Dr Alan Statham in Green Wing, played by Mark Heap, to be another major contender. He just oozes eccentric and surreal brilliance. Why he never got his own series as this character is beyond me.If you've never watched Green Wing, you have surely missed out. I would highly recommend it.
I would never rule out the comic genius of Ronnie Barker. His memorable performances as Norman Stanley Fletcher in Porridge and Albert E. Arkwright in Open All Hours showed that he was very likely the greatest British comic (television) actor of all time. His versatility is without equal.
I also found great delight in Rupert Rigsby in Rising Damp, played impeccably by Leonard Rossiter, who also played Reginald Perrin in The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, another surreal comic creation.
In recent times I have very much appreciated the crazy antics of Mark Corrigan and Jeremy Usborne in Peep Show played by David Mitchell and Robert Webb. Practically anything that they are in is simply wonderful.
I would be interested to know anyone else's thoughts on the subject.
Harry Enfield...as...mr Cholmondley Warner, old git, Simon schama, David Dimbleby, scouser, etc
Likewise...Little Britain Charcters by Matt Lucas and David Walliams.
These three men are true comic geniuses. I admit there are quite a few in British comedy

Back