Greatest British comedy character of all time

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
When I give a title to a Forum, I would prefer that is not tampered with. Thank you.

The original title was regarding TELEVISION comedy characters NOT anything else!

Because of your alteration, people are beginning to post irrelevant suggestions which is why Forums are being misused.

I should start a Forum entitled: 'Post anything you like here because anything goes'.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
How about Donald trump...acting as president of the USA.
BTW, The medication he insists upon taking have violent side effects. One of which is hallucinations.
I think that explains a lot!

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Have you seen Peter Cook/Dudley Moore sketch, where Dud, who only has one leg, is applying for the movie role of Tarzan? Hilarious! :)

Yes, I do believe that I have seen it but thought it was a typical sketch of the era. Not quite Monty Python standard. :rolleyes:
A Best Comedy sketch thread must be due very shortly.
In the meantime, two of particular favourites of mine are: 'The brain surgeon and rocket scientist at a party' and the 'office shooting sketch' for misuse of correct grammar, both of course, courtesy of Mitchell & Webb. ;)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
I cannot believe that I forgot David Brent, 'The Brentmeister', from The Office. The man who sacrificed success for humility. What a comic hero.
Plus, from the series we got that now ubiquitous song, "Free Love Freeway". His entrancing rendition of "If You Don't Know Me By Now".
His devastating poetry ('Sword and Sheath') and stupendous dancing to his own vocal grunts. Classic stuff.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
How about Donald trump...acting as president of the USA.
BTW, The medication he insists upon taking have violent side effects. One of which is hallucinations.
I think that explains a lot!
PS. I think he qualifies because his mother was British.

Greco

Chat supremo, kiss ma ring!
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody mentioned David Jason as del boy in only fools and horses!!!!!!!!!!!

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody mentioned David Jason as del boy in only fools and horses!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm shocked also. First name that came to mind. He was your traditional working class, anti-establishment, anti-hero lol.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Del Boy Trotter certainly comes to mind as an iconic figure in British comedy. He was/is someone an average working class man or woman could relate to because the chances are we have met a Del Boy character in our life time. The wheeling and dealing, always offering a bargain, having a joke and banter, but could also look after himself if he needs to. I think what really makes the character so special is that if you take away his many layers of front, he's nothing more than a young teenager whose father left him, his mother and his young brother Rodney to fend for themselves.
Even though Del Boy is mischievous, cunning, willing to con friends out of their money, he does it to look after his family. He may not pay VAT, or income tax, but he'll tell you that he doesn't claim any benefits or handouts and sees that as a fair trade off.

He's one of those characters you admire, someone that even when the chips are down, doesn't quit and gets back up to fight another day. And i think the most compelling thing about the character is that he's real. You see those types of characters.

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
Father Ted ... and .little Britain best of all Monty python

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Father Ted ... and .little Britain best of all Monty python

The key word was character, NOT which shows you preferred.
In other words, the name of a single character from a show. For example, Norman Stanley Fletcher, in Porridge.
I do wish people would adhere to the subject matter.
:rolleyes:

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
The key word was character, NOT which shows you preferred.
In other words, the name of a single character from a show. For example, Norman Stanley Fletcher, in Porridge.
I do wish people would adhere to the subject matter.
:rolleyes:
father ted is a character

Shak

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of the characters I love have already been said. However I have to mention Jill from 'Nighty Night' She used to make me howl laughing and of course Patsy Stone from Ab Fab!

B

Bad_Influence

You mean Father Ted Crilly, surely. Father Ted was the name of the show, hun.
The other two examples you gave were superfluous.

You really are an obnoxiously sanctimonious little man. (Rather like Victor Meldrew, just to keep it 'on topic')

Back