So long and thanks for all the fish! - UkChat NOT Closing

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Edit:

After an ENORMOUS level of feedback from the community we've decided to take a step back and re-assess this situation.

A large amount of people have contacted us regarding the closure. Many have shared touching stories about what makes this chat great. We listened.

I have been convinced that this community can be salvaged. To do this there will have to be some changes, and we WILL NEED YOUR HELP. It's the people here that make UkChat what it is, and you're the ones who have the most power to change it.

Here is what you can do:
  • Be friendly to guests. This is how new chatters view the site for the first time. If you ignore them they will leave, and then everyone misses out on the chance to make a new friend. We want this site to grow.
  • Avoid setting a hostile tone in public chat. If there is a lot of hostility going around do your best to break it up. Change the subject. Tell a good joke. Don't get baited in to it. The moderators cannot set the tone of chat - that is primarily up to the people chatting.
  • Don't feed the trolls. Related to above. There are people on this site who's only joy in life is attempting to get a rise out of other chatters. Don't fall for it and engage with them. If you see someone feeding a troll, PM them and explain why they should not engage.
  • Report ban evaders. If you know someone is banned and they have came back under a different name, please immediately report them.
We will also be making changes to how the site is moderated and managed from an administrative standpoint. Forum post for this coming soon.

---------- Original Post ---------
As you may have heard, UkChat is closing

The community is too toxic for the site to grow. It has become stagnant and non-viable. We've done our best to work on this situation but to no avail. People here are not friendly to newcomers and the trolls just won't leave.

We understand that many of you have built strong relationships over the years and this is your primary mode of contact with certain friends. To make sure that everyone can find ways to stay in touch we will be performing the shutdown slowly, in stages, over the course of a couple weeks.

Please do not publicly advertise alternative sites - this will be considered spam

Last edited:

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

The community is too toxic for the site to grow. It has become stagnant and non-viable. We've done our best to work on this situation but to no avail. People here are not friendly to newcomers and the trolls just won't leave.

We understand that many of you have built strong relationships over the years and this is your primary mode of contact with certain friends. To make sure that everyone can find ways to stay in touch we will be performing the shutdown slowly, in stages, over the course of a couple weeks.

Please do not publicly advertise alternative sites - this will be considered spam

thank you will miss the forums is there no way they can stay ?..

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score

I'm quite sad about this... jus' sayin'.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
When another chat site closed down a couple of years ago some of us came to UKchat so we were able to keep in touch, I thank you for the free service you have given us.

iain91

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. Obviously we dont need to know the reason cause it is understandable running this site(both versions) is probably time consuming and no doubt costly. If there is anyway we can perhaps help to keep things running please do let us know im sure there will be people willing to help. Tho if not hopefully people will be on in time to make arrangements with those they communicate with to keep in touch. Thanks for the work you have all put in to the site.

Squeezy_Me

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Sad to see this go, as a chatter and ex mod I have been on both sides, as Admin said the cliques don't like new people and unless they are very outgoing it is hard to get acceptance. Even in smaller rooms the chat can be inclusive to longer time friends chatting. Trolls however are chatters responsibility not MODS, if someone was constantly abusive and harassing to you in the street you would walk away, not speak or ignore them. Not here though some chatters feel the need to feed 'the troll' which of course gives the reaction 'the troll' hopes for, if blocked and ignored 'the troll' would have to try and fulfil their self worth elsewhere.
At least having some warning will allow chatters who wish to stay in touch the chance to exchange details to carry on friendships.

whomenare

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score

AngelTearz

Staff member
Reaction score
Saddened to read the news. Thanks for all the work you guys have put into this site and trying to make it work. If it weren't for you guys we wouldn't have had chat and made so many friends. But I agree in what you say about newcomers and trolls. Thanks again! x

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
This seems a busy site compared to some, and trolls seem to be dealt with pretty quick here from what ive seen.
i understand it takes time and money, not many sites left like this now.
Il probaly go back to talking to total strangers on bus stops telling them about my secretive miltary work and such like.

W

Wren

*hugs* with wrapped wings to all the nice people I've had the opportunity to share words with here. So very sad to read the closure news
Coffee and cake won't ever taste the same with out you's
<3

Thank You UkChat, for making this and the above possible <3

W

Wren

Just as I'm allowed back too. What'll I do without my dose of moonshine and the other pixel people :(
I kno that feeling
I returned to this news too...
I've needed extra coffee thus morning to process it ,. No more minty sips, :p

eplchampions20182019

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Just my twopennyworth, I think that maybe a revamp of the TOU and the implementation of the almost universal hosting procedure of w/k/b (warn,kick,ban) implemented, as I have both been victim of and abused people, yet I have seen a chatter make a minor sexual reference, they are banned for 3 days, yet abuse to a chatter is met with "use ignore" or block as we don't mod drama. In my mind this makes trolls want to come on more as they know that they can abuse and the victim is told to block.

Back