Overuse of the 'like' feature.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Now Instagram have dropped their 'like' feature should this first-rate chat site follow suit?
Reading the forum you do notice that some thought-provoking postings that ought to get the forum moving don't receive any replies or 'likes' and yet you often see same chatters all liking each others posts no matter how inane they may be, even just a smiley face will get liked, to me this is ineffable.

A while back in one thread some big kahuna was boasting about how many likes they had and in another thread a forum member was belittling someone else for having so few. People with a low 'like' count can feel worthless, useless and abandoned (speaking for someone else here). The raison d'être for this forum is surely to discuss issues not to accumulate likes.
I post this thread not to instigate or act like some low-rent troll but simply to generate debate, after all that's what the forum is for isn't it? (aside from endless ban appeals) If it gets ignored or no likes i will be inconsolable, if someone replies to it simply with 'lol' and that gets liked I will be crestfallen :eek:

B

Bad_Influence

The 'like' feature is a godsend sometimes. If I read something and know the writer just wants a reaction in the form of an argument, a quick 'like' or a smile can piss someone off far better than the reaction they were hoping for. :D
(Ty for the 'like' Jojo. lol)

JoJoTia3rd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 'like' feature is a godsend sometimes. If I read something and know the writer just wants a reaction in the form of an argument, a quick 'like' or a smile can piss someone off far better than the reaction they were hoping for. :D
(Ty for the 'like' Jojo. lol)

Had to be done lol x

Reaction score
I have no reason for liking this thread but I've liked it.

A

azzbo

People with a low 'like' count can feel worthless, useless and abandoned (speaking for someone else here).

I agree wholeheartedly, something must be done to stop this injustice. Did you know that when someone "likes" your post, it releases dopamine in your brain, which is the chemical associated with pleasure. This is why all the people with a low "like" count are suffering from chronic depression, anxiety and suicidal ideation. All it takes is 1 like and you could potentially save someones life.

Do the right thing.

1 like=1 life

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly, something must be done to stop this injustice. Did you know that when someone "likes" your post, it releases dopamine in your brain, which is the chemical associated with pleasure. This is why all the people with a low "like" count are suffering from chronic depression, anxiety and suicidal ideation. All it takes is 1 like and you could potentially save someones life.

Do the right thing.

1 like=1 life

For those reasons I have to unlike this thread.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
For those reasons I have to unlike this thread.
To 'like' then withdraw your 'like' is worse than to have never liked in the first place, how could you be so cruel!? but I suppose it's better to have liked and lost than to have never liked at all.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
All week I've been itching to log on to see if anyone liked my post but couldn't face the horrible prospect of my peers not even giving me a pity 'like'. I am broken.
Would anyone be interested in having a reciprocal agreement with myself to always like each others posts? Others may want to join our coalition and then our like count would really get boosted (along with our self esteem).

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
All week I've been itching to log on to see if anyone liked my post but couldn't face the horrible prospect of my peers not even giving me a pity 'like'. I am broken.
Would anyone be interested in having a reciprocal agreement with myself to always like each others posts? Others may want to join our coalition and then our like count would really get boosted (along with our self esteem).

Lol

This has gone deep!!

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
if the LIKE was converted to an actual action would it be an actual "Thumbs up" or more of a "Fist bump" ??

I refuse to convert to the later and it appears like a demented game of Rock, Paper , Scissors as i go for the "Handshake" everytime.......

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Fist bumps Olive! :D xxxxxxxxx <3

Don't it annoy you though when someone offers up "The Fist" ?

Oh gosh that sounds rude :p:p

I hope you washed your hands Olive :eek:

xxx

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
I get the finger more than the fist ( this so doesn't read like how I mean it too ) pmsl :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: xxx

Oh my gosh !!!

Olive you get the "Bird" flipped atcha ???

I find this hard to believe !!! ;)

Was it whilst on a Marmite promotion in Asda ??

:D:D:D

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
images (3).jpg

JoJoTia3rd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL @ a marmite promotion, (when I shop I secretly drop jars of marmite into every shopping basket/trolley I walk past ) :D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
LOL @ a marmite promotion, (when I shop I secretly drop jars of marmite into every shopping basket/trolley I walk past ) :D:D:D:D

You are Sick :D:D:D

Welcome to my world ;)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
if the LIKE was converted to an actual action would it be an actual "Thumbs up" or more of a "Fist bump" ??

There's one or two in here i'd rather fist face not fist bump.
It's an 'unlike' feature I'd like to see added to the site, the sheer pleasure of being able to cancel out unworthy likes with an 'unlike' it would be better than sex (working from memory here).

Back