British Birds

Are house sparrows on a decline in numbers, because gardens are lacking food supply's ?

• Yes, there should be more garden feeders.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, its because of other reasons.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
i have wrens , yellow/blue tits., pigeons ,magpies and every now and again a jackdaw.

W

Wren

no he is male they tend to have minds that veer off the tracks some times
Oh I see , the tit mention bit did it ;)
I recently discovered a while back , not sure of date /year , all tits had the word mouse after it
Was quite strange reading these names , wonder why they dropped the mouse in their names.

And the wren , it use to known as the brown wren,

Yea a old book thats had some interesting dated facts of that era
:)
There was pictures too Bad_Influence in this book , but not the type ur mind drifted to ,,lol

W

Wren

i have wrens , yellow/blue tits., pigeons ,magpies and every now and again a jackdaw.
Yellow/blue tits , the great tit then , how lovely
Enjoy them larger birds too they are usually shook away at , =o,

Feed them fat , let's fill the nests fingers crossed the garden/house sparrow makes a come back =) Xx

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
male and female sparrows

Attachments

• 63742371-720px.jpg
    63742371-720px.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 63742431-720px.jpg
    63742431-720px.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0

Buggleskelly

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
sparrows are too fast for cats, their declining numbers may just be down to urbanisation.

W

Wren

Have seen a plump Jay today , very close to it and very beautiful it was, :)

Didn't see any sparrows today , not even a tree sparrow, :(
I've hope tho , they going to make a come back,

:D

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Have seen a plump Jay today , very close to it and very beautiful it was, :)

Didn't see any sparrows today , not even a tree sparrow, :(
I've hope tho , they going to make a come back,

:D
Did you not get a picture?

W

Wren

Nope I didn't , :( sorry

I will consider maybe taking a camera with me in future tho,
Luck had it I was with my partner at the time a duo walk, lol
First time he had ever seen a jay , was quite impressed by it , =D I think it was a young one as it was super fluffy in the wind , so many layers of feathers and fine , well cute
Large too if it was a young. Much better than a picture in the book :p

I'll see if I can find a yellow hammer pic , taken from where i like a drive to.

Someone

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Wren,

No, I don’t know if birds I have seen are rare, haha, I live in a small town and there are several birds around neighborhood. Some come and build nest near the house. Once, I think it was 2017, during my stay at home, there was this bird-Zosterops Japonicus came and had built a home just on a three my mother have in a flowerpot. Which means the tree wasn’t big, therefore we could sneaky check them now and then.

It was so amazing :)

Firstly we see three small eggs, and then, three small babies with a little of hair, I mean, should that be called feather already?

And in about a week or so, there were real feathers covered about 2/3 of their body. Dark wet green colored. Slightly change color tone when they move. And their eyes were all the time closed. We saw only that big white eyelid and yellow eye lines. It was an incredible experience, really, the first time in my life seeing eggs become flesh and bone, and little birds. I can’t remember when it happened, we didn’t bother to check out how long exactly they need to be ready to leave. But one day-I can only guess it must be more then two weeks after little birds were born, but less then three. Anyway, one day, I heard their beautiful singing, the mature sound and in between, the very weak ones. Just out side of my balcony, where I worked. The sound became faster, even me I felt it seemed worrying, so I opened the window and that only make the parents more nervous. They lost one little bird that day I think. They looked for it for about a week.

2018 I wasn’t home, but this year some birds build a nest right above the light cover on my balcony. It happens right now. I can’t really see them, they have been very careful, but it was enough for me to know they are another kind of small birds, brownish but definitely not sparrow, they are smaller then sparrow, slightly bigger then Zosterops Japonicus .

Ah that’s a long reply :)

W

Wren

Wow! , "The warbling white-eye" Amazing looking bird!

Such a lovely post thank you, :) and thank you for sharing ur bird memories past and present.
I have never seen this bird in the wild but I know I'd be really excited if I did, to have a nest and see what you have , blooming marvelous

I wonder if ur balcony birds are dunnocks, I'm really not a bird professional more just a hobby bird watcher, I looked up birds I've never heard of or seen,, and yeah I've a few bird books too :)

I've started getting a largish black bird coming onto the garden, that's been nice as all year I have seen none, i have only seen wood pidgins feeding.

Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wren

Hi Wren,

No, I don’t know if birds I have seen are rare, haha, I live in a small town and there are several birds around neighborhood. Some come and build nest near the house. Once, I think it was 2017, during my stay at home, there was this bird-Zosterops Japonicus came and had built a home just on a three my mother have in a flowerpot. Which means the tree wasn’t big, therefore we could sneaky check them now and then.

It was so amazing :)

Firstly we see three small eggs, and then, three small babies with a little of hair, I mean, should that be called feather already?

And in about a week or so, there were real feathers covered about 2/3 of their body. Dark wet green colored. Slightly change color tone when they move. And their eyes were all the time closed. We saw only that big white eyelid and yellow eye lines. It was an incredible experience, really, the first time in my life seeing eggs become flesh and bone, and little birds. I can’t remember when it happened, we didn’t bother to check out how long exactly they need to be ready to leave. But one day-I can only guess it must be more then two weeks after little birds were born, but less then three. Anyway, one day, I heard their beautiful singing, the mature sound and in between, the very weak ones. Just out side of my balcony, where I worked. The sound became faster, even me I felt it seemed worrying, so I opened the window and that only make the parents more nervous. They lost one little bird that day I think. They looked for it for about a week.

2018 I wasn’t home, but this year some birds build a nest right above the light cover on my balcony. It happens right now. I can’t really see them, they have been very careful, but it was enough for me to know they are another kind of small birds, brownish but definitely not sparrow, they are smaller then sparrow, slightly bigger then Zosterops Japonicus .

Ah that’s a long reply :)
Not sure about the feather and hair fact I'd have to look it up, I think its fine hairs before feathers take form as they grow,,;) great memory thanks for the share :)

Someone

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure about the feather and hair fact I'd have to look it up, I think its fine hairs before feathers take form as they grow,,;) great memory thanks for the share :)

Hi, thanks for your reply :)

Oh I looked up what dunnocks is, and I think it isn’t my balcony birds. They seem to have only one color-from the quick impression I have, which is brown, like chocolate with a lot of milk. Their feather looks very smooth, like pure, plain brown, but I can’t tell if there are different colors underneath their wings. Or somewhere their chest-they usually only show me their back XD

Oh and large black birds? Should that be crows? I like them, I have seen a lot in Australia, though they make funny sound and not very nice sometimes, but they have very beautiful black color :D

Other than “warbling white-eye”-haha thanks for letting me know their other name :) that’s a nice name :)

So other than white-eye bird and this brownish small bird, I have some bigger birds live on the roof, just above where I sleep. Same as you, I’m only a casual bird watcher.. they look similar to pidgin, but have plainer color. I hear when they move, fight(or play? :)), flying away and landing, haha, they are quite noisy, but I’m glad to have them there :D

And, oh I think I could look that up too, but I guess that’s hair, I mean, like many babies of different kind, we all have some very fine hair when we were very little.. yeah I know.. that’s how I decide what they are haha :D

You have a great day too :D

B

Beemovie

Hi, thanks for your reply :)

Oh I looked up what dunnocks is, and I think it isn’t my balcony birds. They seem to have only one color-from the quick impression I have, which is brown, like chocolate with a lot of milk. Their feather looks very smooth, like pure, plain brown, but I can’t tell if there are different colors underneath their wings. Or somewhere their chest-they usually only show me their back XD

Oh and large black birds? Should that be crows? I like them, I have seen a lot in Australia, though they make funny sound and not very nice sometimes, but they have very beautiful black color :D

Other than “warbling white-eye”-haha thanks for letting me know their other name :) that’s a nice name :)

So other than white-eye bird and this brownish small bird, I have some bigger birds live on the roof, just above where I sleep. Same as you, I’m only a casual bird watcher.. they look similar to pidgin, but have plainer color. I hear when they move, fight(or play? :)), flying away and landing, haha, they are quite noisy, but I’m glad to have them there :D

And, oh I think I could look that up too, but I guess that’s hair, I mean, like many babies of different kind, we all have some very fine hair when we were very little.. yeah I know.. that’s how I decide what they are haha :D

You have a great day too :D
Birds do not have hair ever. When they are born they have what is called down but this very light hairlike covering are still feathers. Just thought I would let you know. Nice thread by the way.

Someone

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Birds do not have hair ever. When they are born they have what is called down but this very light hairlike covering are still feathers. Just thought I would let you know. Nice thread by the way.

Hahaha oh thanks for the information : D

Back