Where have all the dentists gone!?

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Went my dentist yoday for my check up and he had to rush off as his wife was pregent
good job im easy about i know someone would have demanded to see him ...family come first

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Did you take the periodontal appointment? Surely they explained why it was outstanding and necessary? The one I saw explained to me, the costing and what’s needed. Might need to rob a bank to pay for it like lol
Yes, I did go to that appointment. I thought it was to check that the gum had healed properly and to clean up the two teeth either side of the rotten tooth I had out, which maybe it partly was... but it was mostly just another scale and polish. My teeth have never looked and felt so clean, so I can't fault the service, but for me, it's just the cost. This outlay of money can't continue. I have to get an NHS dentist.
I remember years ago talking to a girl in the U.S, she was telling me that she was saving up to go to the dentist, I just thought WTF!? Well, now i'm in that very same position. I'm now saving up in case I ever need a dentist in a hurry. :rolleyes:

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Yes, I did go to that appointment. I thought it was to check that the gum had healed properly and to clean up the two teeth either side of the rotten tooth I had out, which maybe it partly was... but it was mostly just another scale and polish. My teeth have never looked and felt so clean, so I can't fault the service, but for me, it's just the cost. This outlay of money can't continue. I have to get an NHS dentist.
I remember years ago talking to a girl in the U.S, she was telling me that she was saving up to go to the dentist, I just thought WTF!? Well, now i'm in that very same position. I'm now saving up in case I ever need a dentist in a hurry. :rolleyes:
Well that's good, that the appointment was of some benefit, although the cost hits hard for many! I do feel like finding an NHS dentist is thankless task though. I have seen on nextdoor, (a bit like facebook, if you didn't know) people with the same issue, one lady whose husband couldn't get into see the NHS dentist he's with and she was looking for recommendations for any and sadly nobody seemed to be able to help much and another man said he'd seen one and was told there was a few slight issues chips etc, but as an NHS dentist, they only dealt with anything that caused issues, like a cavity or a tooth needing to be removed etc. So it does seem that they're like gold dust now and also limited on what they can do sadly.

I hadn't been to see the dentist for while, with various reasons and then they closed down etc, but I've learnt a lesson, because now there's a few issues and it is going to cost me, to put them right. So now I've learnt the importance of check ups and maintaining them etc, although I was brushing regularly etc at home.

Also just thought some do have plans, where you can pay an amount monthly, and that then gives you two free check ups and two free checks with a hygienist, also if fillings etc are then needed, they're at a lower price. Which does sound like a good option regarding the situation with dentists.

Doesn't help me at the moment, with my bill lol, maybe we should start a go fund me for dentistry lol

ruthless

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
last time i went dentist, i was a bit drunk and they wouldnt do the removal. came back 6 hours lish ater and the fucker yanked the 2 teeth out. no charge or anything silly.
id had 3 pints of carling in the meantime

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
So now I've learnt the importance of check ups and maintaining them etc, although I was brushing regularly etc at home.
Couldn't agree more about the importance of check-ups. You're supposed to visit the dentist every 6 months (would that we could!) :)
Brushing/flossing is obviously important but that might not prevent a build up of plaque, which will harden and make your teeth look yellow at the gum line, especially at the back of your teeth which don't get brushed as much. This can only be removed by a dentist. Plaque can lead to gum disease, then you really will need a dentist, hopefully an NHS one :rolleyes:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
My dentist is no doubt thrilled
everytime I can be billed
It's surely agreed
An NHS one I need
Only then will my teeth be fulfilled :D

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
My dentist is no doubt thrilled
everytime I can be billed
It's surely agreed
An NHS one I need
Only then will my teeth be fulfilled :D
Lost 4 teeth last winter with a trip
Smashed my gums and butchered a lip
Waiting lists full to bursting
Two grand to ease the hurting
So now I gum food rather than rip

A

A_Son_of_God

It's importing loads of heathen immigrants who graduated from a witch doctors mud hut who can't even speak english, what could possibly go wrong?

PS- I've got a little cash put by to go private if I need a dentist or doctor..:)

What do you have against MUD HUTS!!!??? Eh??? I've got one thing to say to you.

OOGABOOGABOOGA! (said while shaking a cow bone in my right hand)

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
A man goes to the dentist to ask how much it would be to pull a tooth. “$100,” said the dentist. “Oh, that’s expensive,” said the man. “Do you have anything cheaper?” “That’s the normal price for an extraction,” said the dentist. The man thinks about it, “what about if you don’t use the anesthetic?” “Well, that would be unusual, but we could do that. It would be about $75.” The man thinks some more. “What about if you used a trainee and no anesthetic?” “Well,” said the dentist, ”I think that could work, but it would be a lot more painful. I think that would be about $35.” The man thought some more. “That’s still a lot. What if you make it a training session with a student doing the extraction, and the other students can watch?” The dentist says, “Ok, that would be good for the students, but it will be traumatic to have it done that way. I’ll charge you $5 for that.” “Great,” said the man. “That’s perfect. Can I book my wife for her appointment on Wednesday?

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Patient: How much will it cost me to have this tooth pulled out? Dentist: £500 Patient: £500 for just a few minutes work? That’s hardly cheap.Dentist: No worries, I’ll pull it out slowly if you prefer.

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

A man went to the dentist to schedule getting a tooth pulled.​

"I don't have a lot of money." he confessed. "Is there any way we could make the procedure cheaper?"

"I suppose for a small discount," thought the dentist, "We could reuse some of our disposable tools. It may slightly increase your risk of infection, but, theoretically, you should be fine."

"That sounds good, but is there anything you could do to bring the price down even more?" the man asked.

The dentist thinks a moment. "I'm currently training a new hygienist. He is very green and very impatient, but if we let him practice on you, that will save me from ruining another set of training teeth."

"Great! But is there anything else you could possibly do for me?"

The dentist shakes his head. "No. The only thing left would be to leave out the painkillers. But without those, the procedure will extremely painful; absolutely unbearable, even."

"Please, sir!" the man plead, "I'm destitute! I'll do whatever it take to make this as cheap as possible!"

The dentist relents. "Very well. I have an opening tomorrow morning at nine-thirty, if you're ready. Shall I have a name for the appointment?"

"My wife's name is Sharon." the man responds, "I'll be dropping her off around Nine."

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why should you be kind to your dentist?

Because they have fill-ings too.

MissLove

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Getting a dental appointment is not just problematic in the UK, but also on our side of the pond. We don't have "NHS" but it's just near to impossible to get a dentist to give you a slot in his agenda. It seems there aren't enough.

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Getting a dental appointment is not just problematic in the UK, but also on our side of the pond. We don't have "NHS" but it's just near to impossible to get a dentist to give you a slot in his agenda. It seems there aren't enough.
I have heard some here, who’ve struggled to get in to see a dentist, even though they’re paying etc. Are you in America? Hopefully the issues get addressed for us all soon then

MissLove

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
No, Belgium. Last time I had someone in the family in pain, and they wouldn't even make an appointment anytime soon. "Give some painkillers".

Back