What are you reading?

TemptingEnigma

Last time I was someone’s type I was giving blood.
Reaction score
Absolutely loved Tom Sharpe. Read a lot of his stuff in the 80's - at times had me literally laughing out loud (embarrassing on public transport). There is a follow up to Riotous Assembly, can't remember the title.

I'd completely forgotten Sharpe - will be delving into the back catalogue & re-reading Thank you!!
The sequel is Indecent Exposure - this story also lampoons the South African police under apartheid

TemptingEnigma

Reaction score
Currently reading the book "The Story of O" by Pauline Reage. First published in 1954, long before Fifty Shades, it tells the story of a beautiful fashion photographer called O who is forced to become a sex slave to a secret society of men and who is beaten and branded and eventually coaxed into enticing other women to become sex slaves—the author captures O’s private musings and reflections during and after her submission to acts of torture and humiliation.

TemptingEnigma

Reaction score
I recall nearly choking on a Jacobs Cream Cracker laughing whilst reading Porterhouse Blue , plus Blott on the Landscape -Riotous Assembly etc
Yes, Sharpe truly is a gifted comedic writer. I may go back and re-read his other works - so many to choose from.

GrumpyOldishMan

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, Sharpe truly is a gifted comedic writer. I may go back and re-read his other works - so many to choose from.
It seems he started writing again in the 90's - all after that will be new to me. Just downloaded Wilt as my next read

sharpe.JPG

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Odessa File - Frederick Forsyth
You may have seen the movie starring Jon Voight, these days better known as the father of Angelina Jolie. As well as having a different ending, the book goes into a lot more detail. Worth a read if you ever come across it.

Blankgeneration

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Kurt Vonnegut Breakfast Of Champions, The Sirens Of Titan. Few faves Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas Hunter S. Thomspon, The Death Ship B. Traven and Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse.

Kev45

A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
Reaction score

Ian Leslie. Born Liars: Why We Can’t Live Without Deceit.​

In Born Liars, Ian Leslie takes the reader on an exhilarating tour of ideas that brings the latest news about deception back from the frontiers of psychology, neuroscience, and philosophy, and explores the role played by lies – both black and white – in our childhoods, our careers, and our health, as well as in advertising, politics, sport and war. Drawing on thinkers as varied as Augustine, Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud and Joni Mitchell, the author argues that, far from being a bug in the human software, lying is central to who we are; that we cannot understand ourselves without first understanding the dynamics of deceit. After reading Born Liars you’ll never think about lies – or life – in quite the same way again.

Evie Woods.The Lost Bookshop:​

On a quiet street in Dublin, a lost bookshop is waiting to be found…

For too long, Opaline, Martha and Henry have been the side characters in their own lives.

But when a vanishing bookshop casts its spell, these three unsuspecting strangers will discover that their own stories are every bit as extraordinary as the ones found in the pages of their beloved books. And by unlocking the secrets of the shelves, they find themselves transported to a world of wonder… where nothing is as it seems.

EnglishLearner

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score

Ian Leslie. Born Liars: Why We Can’t Live Without Deceit.​

In Born Liars, Ian Leslie takes the reader on an exhilarating tour of ideas that brings the latest news about deception back from the frontiers of psychology, neuroscience, and philosophy, and explores the role played by lies – both black and white – in our childhoods, our careers, and our health, as well as in advertising, politics, sport and war. Drawing on thinkers as varied as Augustine, Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud and Joni Mitchell, the author argues that, far from being a bug in the human software, lying is central to who we are; that we cannot understand ourselves without first understanding the dynamics of deceit. After reading Born Liars you’ll never think about lies – or life – in quite the same way again.

Evie Woods.The Lost Bookshop:​

On a quiet street in Dublin, a lost bookshop is waiting to be found…

For too long, Opaline, Martha and Henry have been the side characters in their own lives.

But when a vanishing bookshop casts its spell, these three unsuspecting strangers will discover that their own stories are every bit as extraordinary as the ones found in the pages of their beloved books. And by unlocking the secrets of the shelves, they find themselves transported to a world of wonder… where nothing is as it seems.
I shall look it u. Thanks

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Thursday Murder Club
The Man Who Died Twice
The Bullet That Missed

All written by Richard Osman (the chap that does Pointless on the BBC)
I picked the three of them up in the charity shop for £1, you can't argue with that. Really enjoyed the first two but it got a bit daft by the third
instalment. Good bedtime reading, nothing more.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
This is a very easy read, so easy, I read it in one night. Definitely worth a read if you ever come across it because there's lots that was left out of the fabulous movie version... The sheriff reveals more of his back-story, a whole chapter with a young hitchhiker, what happened to the money and it's made clear that Llewlyn realised he'd been such an idiot to return to the trucks just to give the dying man some water.

Back