Times you wish you'd said something...

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I was rushing this morning to post a letter (how often do you post a letter these days? no wonder stamp collecting is a dying hobby). Rushing, because the only collection from this postbox is 9am :rolleyes: As I was approaching the postbox, I was saying to myself, as I always do - if it's full i'm not posting it. Because I'm always reminded of the time around Xmas a few years ago, I was posting a letter and there was a woman and child near the postbox, and it obviously hadn't been emptied all day because the letters were visible in the letterbox. The child went up to it, put his hand in and grabbed a big handful of letters, then gave them to the woman. I expected her to tell the child to put them back, but instead she said something like "put them in the bag, we'll open them later" I was dumbfounded. To think, they were probably people's Xmas cards, what a mean thing to do. I didn't say anything as she looked a really rough type, you know? and at the time, it just wasn't worth getting into a fight over. But now, I wish i'd said something. :(
Any times you wished you'd said something? feel free to sound off...

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I was rushing this morning to post a letter (how often do you post a letter these days? no wonder stamp collecting is a dying hobby). Rushing, because the only collection from this postbox is 9am :rolleyes: As I was approaching the postbox, I was saying to myself, as I always do - if it's full i'm not posting it. Because I'm always reminded of the time around Xmas a few years ago, I was posting a letter and there was a woman and child near the postbox, and it obviously hadn't been emptied all day because the letters were visible in the letterbox. The child went up to it, put his hand in and grabbed a big handful of letters, then gave them to the woman. I expected her to tell the child to put them back, but instead she said something like "put them in the bag, we'll open them later" I was dumbfounded. To think, they were probably people's Xmas cards, what a mean thing to do. I didn't say anything as she looked a really rough type, you know? and at the time, it just wasn't worth getting into a fight over. But now, I wish i'd said something. :(

If you were in the USA and armed!

004231.gif

Last edited:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Oh dear :(
That reminds me of my childhood.
I was either 4 or 5 at the time.

It was about a week or so before Christmas, snowing and absolutely freezing..
I recall being outdoors playing with some friends, one late December afternoon (there weren't many cars about then) and we were getting soaked as it was snowing heavily.
There was one of those old red post boxes a few yards from our house.
At one point we started filling the post box with snow .

Little did we think about the fact there were letters/christmas cards inside, to us it was just a game.

Luckily my parents (nor my baby sitter) got to know about what had happened, as the baby sitter was indoors when this was going on, making my tea (the kitchen was at the back of the house).

I still wonder to this day how many people missed their mail due to us, that year.

I can only guess that the letters were binned once the post box was opened to be enptied, given the fact the addresses would have been unreadable due to all the snow we put inside the box.

Anyway, Karma sorted me in the end ...

By the time my parents got home from work, I started feeling unwell, I had a very high temperature and was coughing heavily.

My mother rang for an ambulance .
I ended up in hospital for over a week with Pneumonia and also spent Christmas in there, too (lol)..
A nice memory, thanks for sharing. I wouldn't beat yourself up over the ruined post. In those days the Royal Mail made every possible effort to get it delivered. Since privatisation the service has deteriorated somewhat. Half the time, the mail isn't even franked. The postie has to scribble over the stamps, with the threat of dismissal if they don't... This is what you get now... defaced stamps. It ought to be a crime to scrawl over the Queen's image. Makes my blood boil! :mad:

WP_20220429_003.jpg

S

Saphire

Ooh, I love real life threads like this, the human touch. :)

I am sure there have been times when I should have said something, but I didn't (I will have a good think)
Though I can clearly remember a few times when I did say something when I shouldn't. :oops:

S

Saphire

I have thought of something.:cool:

Years ago, two friends were getting married. It was a big white wedding. We were driving the groom to the church.
I knew the bride very well, she was lovely, we had been friends for ages, the groom....he wasn't my cup of tea, but she had chosen him.

Half way there he started getting edgy, eventually he asked us to stop the car, which we did, he said he had changed his mind, he didn't want to marry her. We thought it was just wedding day jitters, and took some time persuading him to go to the church, where she would now be waiting, and get married.
He did.

He was a pig, cheated on her from day one, she got pregnant, he was unbelievably cruel to her, she eventually lost the baby.
The marriage lasted about 18 months, and the poor girl went through hell.

I should have said something in that car, like ''Good for you, you have made the right decision"..sadly, I didn't.'.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Dropping a coin today, I was reminded of the time I dropped a pound coin in a busy shop, it rolled away a few metres. A woman nonchalantly bent down, picked it up and carried on like nothing had happened. I didn't say anything at the time and i'm still glad I didn't... She clearly needed £1 more than I did. I'm sometimes told that i'm too soft, and they're probably right...

S

Saphire

Dropping a coin today, I was reminded of the time I dropped a pound coin in a busy shop, it rolled away a few metres. A woman nonchalantly bent down, picked it up and carried on like nothing had happened. I didn't say anything at the time and i'm still glad I didn't... She clearly needed £1 more than I did. I'm sometimes told that i'm too soft, and they're probably right...
No, you did the right thing.
Years ago I saw a woman shoplifting in Woolworths, (there's another blast from the past :)) she looked needy. I walked off and let her get on with it.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
in schools when girls liked me is times im thinking i probably should of said something then we probably could of took things further than just them liking me but i was the schools quiet person
Not wishing to sound like some low-rent philosopher... but as you get older looking back on your life, you regret the things you didn't do, more than the things you did do...

I was at a church fete this morning, only went for the book fair to see if I could pick anything up. But as the Tombola stall was just opening up I thought I'd have a go, 5 goes actually, didn't win a sausage. :( But then the chap running the stall asked me for the losing tickets back. o_O When I asked why? he said to put back in the draw. I refused, but then he demanded them back! This time i said something... Winning tickets won't be getting put back, so later in the day you're going to end up with very few winning tickets with a whole heap of losing ones, it wouldn't be fair on people. Maybe that's standard practice these days, I don't know, it never used to be... It just didn't sit right with me. Maybe it was the wrong time to say something, maybe this forum's toughened me up :)

S

Saphire

Not wishing to sound like some low-rent philosopher... but as you get older looking back on your life, you regret the things you didn't do, more than the things you did do...

I was at a church fete this morning, only went for the book fair to see if I could pick anything up. But as the Tombola stall was just opening up I thought I'd have a go, 5 goes actually, didn't win a sausage. :( But then the chap running the stall asked me for the losing tickets back. o_O When I asked why? he said to put back in the draw. I refused, but then he demanded them back! This time i said something... Winning tickets won't be getting put back, so later in the day you're going to end up with very few winning tickets with a whole heap of losing ones, it wouldn't be fair on people. Maybe that's standard practice these days, I don't know, it never used to be... It just didn't sit right with me. Maybe it was the wrong time to say something, maybe this forum's toughened me up :)
I think you were right to say something, good for you.
It's cheating to put losing tickets back. A ticket can win only once, so a ticket should lose only once.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Its called gambling, the house always wins in the end.

S

Saphire

How do you do that crossed out writing? PM me the knowledge if it's a closely guarded secret :)
Hahaha....it puzzled me for ages too. :D

Above the post you are writing, where the little icons are, scroll to the three dots, that will open up more options.
Click over the S, then highlight the text you need crossing through.
To get back to ordinary text, just click on the little eraser icon.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've just been given a beautiful watch as a present, and it reminded me of one I lost many years ago.
I hadn't been working in this department very long, just a couple of weeks. I had cause to visit the bathroom, and like a decent citizen after
removing my watch I gave my hands a good scrub. I hadn't been back 10 mins when I realised i'd left my watch. Raced back and of course, it
wasn't there. Being new, I just let it go, didn't want to make a fuss or say anything to anyone. That was the first time I should have said something.
A few weeks later, I noticed a work colleague was wearing the exact, same distinctive watch. Again, I never said anything. How I now wish i'd said something because after all these years it's stayed in my memory and played on my mind. Perhaps it was just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I was walking through the park this morning. Some way away, two yobs with golf clubs were chopping down the tulips. I wish i'd said something but I just walked on by. I admit it, i'm a coward... but I've got peace of mind... I think :(

Back