Things we should apologise for...

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Church of Scotland is to apologise for historic links it had with the slave trade. It got me wondering if there's anything we English should redress...
Straight away I can think of Agincourt where on the orders of Henry V upwards of 700 French POW's were executed. A war crime i'm sure you will agree. I
apologise to the French nation. Vive La France!

If you feel the need to apologise for any of your ancestors actions, feel free...

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The Church of Scotland is to apologise for historic links it had with the slave trade. It got me wondering if there's anything we English should redress...
Straight away I can think of Agincourt where on the orders of Henry V upwards of 700 French POW's were executed. A war crime i'm sure you will agree. I

If you feel the need to apologise for any of your ancestors actions, feel free...
What happens if your ancestors were on both sides of any event/conflict/invasion/genocide, do you apologise to yourself in the mirror?

paulmichael4

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score

It’s amazing that still in the year 2023 slave trades are still thriving in some countries and still exist. Very saddening

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm reminded that 80 years ago this month, British bombers attacked and destroyed the dams in Germany. In today's 'enlightened' times that is now classed as a war crime. Therefore I would like to apologise to the people of Germany. Lieb Vaterland!

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm reminded that 80 years ago this month, British bombers attacked and destroyed the dams in Germany. In today's 'enlightened' times that is now classed as a war crime. Therefore I would like to apologise to the people of Germany. Lieb Vaterland!

I would think we should be saying "Ok maybe firebombing Dresden was a bad thing".
The bomb loadouts were specifically designed to first use ground penetrating explosives which would shatter water lines.
The next wave of bombers used impact detonation of high explosive's to blow out windows and knock down light walls.
The last wave of bombers dropped incendiaries to ignite anything that would burn.

So we stopped the water flow, then blew out windows and light walls then set everything on fire.
So the fires could not be doused and would spread.

More people died in the short term to firebombing of German cities than from the combined casualties of the nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Long term, with the effects of nuclear fallout and genetic problems, the US attack on Japan caused more casualties in the long term.

However, does that not stack up against the millions the Germans killed during thier occupation of most of Europe?

It's a difficult subject, but one that needs context.

Personally I would never apologise for the dam raids, they wanted to end the war.

Lets not forget who was the aggressor.

It was Germany and Russia which started World War 2, not us.
But we had a part to play in it because of the stupidity of the Treaty of Versailles.

The idiotic French wanted to much and got bent out of shape when we were willing to let Germany off during the great depression.

Personally I blame the French for World War 2, they asked to much after World War 1.

Life, or history, tends to be a lot more nuanced than most people think about.

F

fonzie

well first of all you should apologize for that stupid mask you have off of bad influence and wp or panties of fear
I'm sure you look a lot worse lmfao

F

fonzie

I would think we should be saying "Ok maybe firebombing Dresden was a bad thing".
The bomb loadouts were specifically designed to first use ground penetrating explosives which would shatter water lines.
The next wave of bombers used impact detonation of high explosive's to blow out windows and knock down light walls.
The last wave of bombers dropped incendiaries to ignite anything that would burn.

So we stopped the water flow, then blew out windows and light walls then set everything on fire.
So the fires could not be doused and would spread.

More people died in the short term to firebombing of German cities than from the combined casualties of the nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Long term, with the effects of nuclear fallout and genetic problems, the US attack on Japan caused more casualties in the long term.

However, does that not stack up against the millions the Germans killed during thier occupation of most of Europe?

It's a difficult subject, but one that needs context.

Personally I would never apologise for the dam raids, they wanted to end the war.

Lets not forget who was the aggressor.

It was Germany and Russia which started World War 2, not us.
But we had a part to play in it because of the stupidity of the Treaty of Versailles.

The idiotic French wanted to much and got bent out of shape when we were willing to let Germany off during the great depression.

Personally I blame the French for World War 2, they asked to much after World War 1.

Life, or history, tends to be a lot more nuanced than most people think about.
if it's over three words it's in the bin I son

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Agincourt where on the orders of Henry V upwards of 700 French POW's were executed..

Ah, but some of the French prisoners and deserters committed a war crime by attacking non-combatants in the English wagon supply area, so Henry gave them payback-
Enter Fluellen and Gower, shocked by what the French had done-

FLUELLEN- "Kill the boys and the luggage! ’Tis expressly
against the law of arms. ’Tis as arrant a piece of
knavery, mark you now, as can be offered, in your
conscience now, is it not?"
GOWER- "Tis certain there’s not a boy left alive, and
the cowardly rascals that ran from the battle ha’
done this slaughter. Besides, they have burned
and carried away all that was in the King’s tent,
wherefore the King, most worthily, hath caused
every soldier to cut his prisoner’s throat. O, ’tis a
gallant king!"
(Shakesp's Henry V)

F

fonzie

Ah, but some of the French prisoners and deserters committed a war crime by attacking non-combatants in the English wagon supply area, so Henry gave them payback-

every soldier to cut his prisoner’s throamouet. O, ’tis a
gallant king!"
(Shakesp's Henry V)
more copy and paste jesus

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
more copy and paste jesus

What you talking about mate? That quote was from Shakespeare, not from the Bible..:)
No offence but you seem obsessed or even frightened by the bible because it always seems to be on your mind..:p

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Regarding "Reparations" my home city of Leicester has been occupied at various times throughout its history by the Romans, Vikings and Normans, and even the Scots tried to invade England, so I demand reparations be paid to England by the Italians, Scandinavians, French and jocks..:)

Last edited:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

every soldier to cut his prisoner’s throat. O, ’tis a
gallant king!"
(Shakesp's Henry V)
I think they just had so many prisoners and too few soldiers to guard them. So Henry just gave the order - kill them. Understandable really...
However, as we Brits always seem to be saying 'sorry' :rolleyes: I would still like to apologise to the descendents of those executed French POW's. So I say to them -
“liberty, equality, brotherhood” Vive la France!

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Instead of foreigners demanding that we Brits say sorry, they should be THANKING us for civilising them by teaching them to talk English and stopping them eating each other..:)

British Empire.jpg

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
I don't agree with the political "sorry" campaigns, although full credit to Kevin Rudd for an official apology on behalf of a government for their actions and how people were - and are to a degree - treated, due to former abuses that has led to a few generations of broken families.

But I do apologise for many things, including my own actions, words, and thoughts that sometimes hurt and offend others. The political bit though is - generally speaking - about money and corrupt organisations swaying things so that their nets are underneath the taxpayer's coins. Many who do these things have no intention of being sorry for THEIR actions, and are happy to bleed the bleeding hearts that fall for their manipulation.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I don't agree with the political "sorry" campaigns, although full credit to Kevin Rudd for an official apology on behalf of a government for their actions and how people were - and are to a degree - treated, due to former abuses that has led to a few generations of broken families.

But I do apologise for many things, including my own actions, words, and thoughts that sometimes hurt and offend others. The political bit though is - generally speaking - about money and corrupt organisations swaying things so that their nets are underneath the taxpayer's coins. Many who do these things have no intention of being sorry for THEIR actions, and are happy to bleed the bleeding hearts that fall for their manipulation.

If you vote, if you pray, if you follow an ideology of any kind, you should be sorry for the hurt your belief system has caused.
Voting is easy, you go it every so many years.
Religion, thats harder, you follow a book blindly.

Everyone should be accountable for thier own actions.
To follow anything blindly, to vote without real world ideas of principle and knowledge, or follow religious teachings as sacrosanct, both are guilty of allowing others to make choices for us.

Think for yourself, question everything.
Then you can end up not liking anything your offered as they are all self serving.
Eventually people will figure it out.

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
If you vote, if you pray, if you follow an ideology of any kind, you should be sorry for the hurt your belief system has caused.
Voting is easy, you go it every so many years.
Religion, thats harder, you follow a book blindly.

Everyone should be accountable for thier own actions.
To follow anything blindly, to vote without real world ideas of principle and knowledge, or follow religious teachings as sacrosanct, both are guilty of allowing others to make choices for us.

Think for yourself, question everything.
Then you can end up not liking anything your offered as they are all self serving.
Eventually people will figure it out.
I disagree with you here mate. Following a book blindly is your perspective. Notice I haven't addressed the rest yet, as I want to clarify this point first. If it isn't clarified, it means the conversation will not address the issues at hand accurately.

The Bible is a collection of books, firstly, along with letters. Secondly, it isn't a "book" that I follow, but the teachings of God that I've studied, and am now convinced they are from God. Also, it is not an end-all to everything.

For instance, the Bible states that at the end of the system, there will be new scrolls opened. So all that is written is not complete. Just as knowledge is slowly revealed, so is God's will.

On addition to this, I study many things. I love studying things that I see an interest in, or have a question I want answered that may be hard to find.

Religion is complex, as are the origins. Due to practical reasons, the majority of people prefer the lie to the truth, as the truth means one has to either accept they are living a lie, or change, in the face of ridicule and disagreement of those who don't yet see the truth in things. Others have given up, and just state - as did Pontius Pilate - "What is truth?", where he was stating mockingly that truth is up to each one of us to decide. If this is the case, then why are there jails? Poor little serial killers just living out their truths. Know what I mean?

Back