The word 'uppity'

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Eamonn Holmes the 'This Morning' presenter has been censured by ITV for using the word 'uppity' and the network has banned further use of that word because it has racial connotations in the U.S.A.
I'm uncomfortable with this. In no way am I casting aspersions on the U.S but something offensive in another country doesn't make it wrong here in the UK.

TheDalaiDrama

Scum of the Earth!
Reaction score
It doesn't have racial connotations in the US, and it's frequently used to describe snobs here.

B

Bad_Influence

Eamonn Holmes the 'This Morning' presenter has been censured by ITV for using the word 'uppity' and the network has banned further use of that word because it has racial connotations in the U.S.A.
I'm uncomfortable with this. In no way am I casting aspersions on the U.S but something offensive in another country doesn't make it wrong here in the UK.

Welcome to the Snowflake generation. Everyone gets faux-offended on behalf of people/groups they neither know nor care about. The truly dangerous outcome of this, is that media and businesses alike, are scared to say or do anything that some 20years old UPPITY numpty might turn into a Twatter meme.

There's no coming back from this.... the next generation WILL pay the price.

JoJoTia3rd

Staff member
Reaction score
I googled this cos I thought no way as far as I was concerned uppity was used to describe posh/moody types but apparently in the 19th century in the US it was used to describe black people who didn't know their place ... whoever looked up the origin of the word just to write in and complain has way too much time on their hands

NightOwl65

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I googled this cos I thought no way as far as I was concerned uppity was used to describe posh/moody types but apparently in the 19th century in the US it was used to describe black people who didn't know their place ... whoever looked up the origin of the word just to write in and complain has way too much time on their hands

I totally agree with you. The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum.

I must add that I read this thread with my arms folded, my nose stuck firmly in the air whilst I looked down it and harumphed loudly....

TheDalaiDrama

Scum of the Earth!
Reaction score
Yeah Americans only use it to describes snobs of all races and creeds. It's not derogatory.

SafetyMouse

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
So Prince Andrew should be let off?

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Well looks like its drapes for eammon!
I went in a shop in the us, and the guy behind the counter was latino.
I said got 20 fags please mate, i think it got lost in translation because he asked me to leave.
I think he had the wrong ideal about what i was looking for.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Well looks like its drapes for eammon!
lol but I don't think it's curtains for Eamonn just yet, following the backlash after the story broke, ITV have back-tracked somewhat. They're now saying he wasn't reprimanded but merely 're-educated'. either way he's surely not a happy bunny.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum.

I must add that I read this thread with my arms folded, my nose stuck firmly in the air whilst I looked down it and harumphed loudly....
HARUMPHED! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Made my night! xxx

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
lol but I don't think it's curtains for Eamonn just yet, following the backlash after the story broke, ITV have back-tracked somewhat. They're now saying he wasn't reprimanded but merely 're-educated'. either way he's surely not a happy bunny.
Shocker of a story! Very interesting - I hadn't heard about this. How awful for the man to suffer the indignity of being 're-educated' for using an everyday word in English. On Sunday, we had chicken, potatoes and carrots... we would call that, in our language, cyw iar, tatws and moron. No-one was offended by the final vegetables there! It's utterly daft that we must avoid our own words because people are offended by EVERYTHING now!

TheDalaiDrama

Scum of the Earth!
Reaction score
The thing is tho, no one is offended. Literally not one person.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Indeed, but ITV spoke for a nation when reprimanding the man. Patronising much?!

Indeed too...The word 'WOG;...?...It refers to ' A West oriental Gentleman.'..

What in the name of anything is wrong with saying someone is a 'West Oriental Gentleman'?

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Indeed too...The word 'WOG;...?...It refers to ' A West oriental Gentleman.'..

What in the name of anything is wrong with saying someone is a 'West Oriental Gentleman'?
I read recently that using 'Oriental' was in itself offensive... I hadn't been aware. I will have to avoid all adjectives in future, just in case!

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I read recently that using 'Oriental' was in itself offensive... I hadn't been aware. I will have to avoid all adjectives in future, just in case!

You do as you please. I WONT.!

I speak the queens english.

And I will stick to that.

Back