The problem with nursing in the NHS

Discussion in 'General' started by LadyOnArooftop, Apr 2, 2020.

1. LadyOnArooftop

LadyOnArooftop UKChat Expert

IMHO the general public has an innocent but blinkered view of the nursing profession. In days of yore, nursing was a vocation. Little girls dreamed of being a nurse, it was all they wanted to be. Those that realised their dreams and made it into the profession were 'the right stuff' they gave their all to the job.
    Then the mandarins at the NHS decided that the training for nurses should be university based, and that attracted a certain element. The type that thought mmmmmmm, I can be paid to go to uni, experience university life and it will get me a qualification that will allow me to work anywhere in the world. They would come on the wards for experience full of book learning with a sense of entitlement, and with the attitude of "I didn't go to university to wash people's arses!". To no avail you'd try to explain to them that it's all part of the job but they'd be quite happy to let a patient lie in their own dirt all night till someone else attended to the mess or till the handover to the day shift. :rolleyes:

Words and Dong like this.
  2. Dong

Dong UKChat Familiar

I know it to be true!

LadyOnArooftop likes this.
  3. LadyOnArooftop

LadyOnArooftop UKChat Expert

Staff sickness in the NHS is at record levels, clearly not quite the dream job some pictured it to be. Hospitals are so busy they're treating Covid patients in ambulances till beds become available, which brings me to the Nightingale hospitals . . . Just an expensive PR stunt weren't they? It's one thing to build hospitals, it's another thing to have the staff to run them. One suggestion I read was to use junior doctors and student nurses to run them, good luck with that! :rolleyes:

4. Words

Words UKChat Familiar

Lets have the none believers of the virus run them :)

5. Dong

Dong UKChat Familiar

Said in my paper that they were dismantling a nightingale hospital, can't remember where.
    I expect they are now remantling it! :confused: