The problem with nursing in the NHS

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
IMHO the general public has an innocent but blinkered view of the nursing profession. In days of yore, nursing was a vocation. Little girls dreamed of being a nurse, it was all they wanted to be. Those that realised their dreams and made it into the profession were 'the right stuff' they gave their all to the job.
Then the mandarins at the NHS decided that the training for nurses should be university based, and that attracted a certain element. The type that thought mmmmmmm, I can be paid to go to uni, experience university life and it will get me a qualification that will allow me to work anywhere in the world. They would come on the wards for experience full of book learning with a sense of entitlement, and with the attitude of "I didn't go to university to wash people's arses!". To no avail you'd try to explain to them that it's all part of the job but they'd be quite happy to let a patient lie in their own dirt all night till someone else attended to the mess or till the handover to the day shift. :rolleyes:

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
IMHO the general public has an innocent but blinkered view of the nursing profession. In days of yore, nursing was a vocation. Little girls dreamed of being a nurse, it was all they wanted to be. Those that realised their dreams and made it into the profession were 'the right stuff' they gave their all to the job.
Then the mandarins at the NHS decided that the training for nurses should be university based, and that attracted a certain element. The type that thought mmmmmmm, I can be paid to go to uni, experience university life and it will get me a qualification that will allow me to work anywhere in the world. They would come on the wards for experience full of book learning with a sense of entitlement, and with the attitude of "I didn't go to university to wash people's arses!". To no avail you'd try to explain to them that it's all part of the job but they'd be quite happy to let a patient lie in their own dirt all night till someone else attended to the mess or till the handover to the day shift. :rolleyes:
I know it to be true!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Staff sickness in the NHS is at record levels, clearly not quite the dream job some pictured it to be. Hospitals are so busy they're treating Covid patients in ambulances till beds become available, which brings me to the Nightingale hospitals . . . Just an expensive PR stunt weren't they? It's one thing to build hospitals, it's another thing to have the staff to run them. One suggestion I read was to use junior doctors and student nurses to run them, good luck with that! :rolleyes:

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Lets have the none believers of the virus run them :)

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Said in my paper that they were dismantling a nightingale hospital, can't remember where.
I expect they are now remantling it! :confused:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Thankfully, I've not made an appearance on 'Geordie Hospital' channel 4. Which is fortunate because I spend most of my time at the bay wondering what thought-provoking utterances I can come out with on this forum :)

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
I have to say, although it is anecdotal, I have never had a bad experience with nurses, ever. Over a four-month period during the first wave of Covid-19, I was in hospital at least once a week, sometimes two in a very busy urban hospital. With junior doctors yes, with consultants and their posse of minions following them around yes but never nurses. Hospitals are curious places at the best of times. Staff status in the hierarchy depends on the colour of their uniform. Yet the best communicators in my opinion were always the porters and auxiliaries, the so-called 'lowly' rank and file members. Prisoners get fed better food but that's another thread in itself.

Did I stand outside my front door admiring the graffiti, litter, and vomit spewed on the pavements outside while I clapped for the NHS, no I didn't, I also didn't clap for my postie, courier drivers, staff in supermarkets, and all the others in the service sector usually taken for granted and no doubt as I type some fat c*nt is in Tesco shouting at a checkout girl because the trousers they bought don't fit on their big fat arse.

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Selfish nurses quitting to kick back and enjoy their massive wealth

nurses.jpg

Nurses are leaving the NHS in record numbers because they are already minted, it has emerged.

Despite claiming to receive increasingly shitty pay from the government for doing some of the hardest work imaginable, the average nurse’s starting salary is in fact £1,400,005 per year excluding overtime and a free sports car.

Midwife Linda Thompson has spent 20 years bringing thousands of lives into the world, but has decided to quit the profession to enjoy her riches.

She explained: “I live like a rapper when I’m off duty. It’s champagne and sh**-hot toy-boys all the way. If you don’t already have a Porsche 911, I would highly recommend it.

“My leaving is nothing to do with the wanton destruction of the NHS and betrayal of everything it was created for. It’s just time for me to chill.

“I’ll be on my private island if you need me.”

Mental health nurse Wayne Hayes, who has spent years helping the most vulnerable in society, is also planning to make the most of his fortune before deciding on his next move.

He added: “I’m off to buy some £900 leather trousers. Catch you later.”

via ~ DailyBedBath

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
You didn't need any qualifications back in the day. You sat an entrance exam and then an interview before a board. Then you trained on the job. And the wards were run like clockwork. There's this dichotomy with the NHS....it's either excellent or sh**. I've experienced both. The worst are the consultants, who think and act like they're God. A grunt and a poke and that's it. You're diagnosed. God knows what happened to the bedside manner.

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Nurses back then didn't have degrees, and nobody died because of that. So why do they need them now? This ruling precludes so many people who might otherwise make excellent nurses but probably end up being low paid carers in nursing homes. It's madness. There's so many youngsters who can't afford to go to uni....or they're simply not academically minded. But that doesn't make them stupid or incapable of doing that job.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
You didn't need any qualifications back in the day. You sat an entrance exam and then an interview before a board. Then you trained on the job. And the wards were run like clockwork. There's this dichotomy with the NHS....it's either excellent or sh**. I've experienced both. The worst are the consultants, who think and act like they're God. A grunt and a poke and that's it. You're diagnosed. God knows what happened to the bedside manner.

Couldn't agree more.
A few years ago my mum was diagnosed with cancer, the consultant was excellent, took the time answered all our questions and performed the surgery successfully.
Yet a year or two before that my grandmother was given medication, by a consultant, which damn near killed her due to a mistaken reading of her notes.

Back