The National Anthem and the BBC

Y

yeejit

Last week in parliament, the Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell told Chris Philip (The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) that "the singing of the national anthem is something that provides a great sense of unity and pride in our nation."

Apparently oblivious to the fact that the BBC News channel hasn't been called 'BBC News 24' for 14 years now, Mr. Rosindell then asked "In this year of the Queen’s platinum jubilee, will he take steps to encourage national broadcasters to play the national anthem and ensure that the BBC restores it at the end of the day’s programming before it switches to News 24?"

Mr. Philip replied "...The more we hear the national anthem sung, frankly, the better."

Nadine Dorries (The Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) later said that Mr. Rosindell had asked a "fantastic question".

So now, for the first time since 1997 the BBC has started playing the national anthem at the end of the day's programmes. It has also reverted to using the 1970's style BBC station idents. Do you think it is right for the BBC to cave in like this and go to such lengths to appease Conservative MPs?

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Last week in parliament, the Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell told Chris Philip (The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) that "the singing of the national anthem is something that provides a great sense of unity and pride in our nation."

Apparently oblivious to the fact that the BBC News channel hasn't been called 'BBC News 24' for 14 years now, Mr. Rosindell then asked "In this year of the Queen’s platinum jubilee, will he take steps to encourage national broadcasters to play the national anthem and ensure that the BBC restores it at the end of the day’s programming before it switches to News 24?"

Mr. Philip replied "...The more we hear the national anthem sung, frankly, the better."

Nadine Dorries (The Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) later said that Mr. Rosindell had asked a "fantastic question".

So now, for the first time since 1997 the BBC has started playing the national anthem at the end of the day's programmes. It has also reverted to using the 1970's style BBC station idents. Do you think it is right for the BBC to cave in like this and go to such lengths to appease Conservative MPs?

This is only the tip of the BBC's longstanding 'political iceberg'. They 'cave in' to far more unimportant matters than just a revival of the National Anthem.
For the sake of not offending the woke brigade, who frequent the Forum, (and subsequently being censored), I will refrain from identifying many blatant examples.
Considering the corporation identifies as British, it needs to be rebranded under another name because, as far as I am concerned, it neither promotes British values or upholds what Britain represents at home OR abroad.
With regards to the National Anthem, (most notably, 'God Save The Queen'), it should never have been dropped at the close of broadcasts anyway, in my opinion. The matter was certainly not open to public debate, as far as I am aware.
This debacle typically highlights what I find spineless about this country now. The incapacity to maintain ANY tradition in case it upsets, discomforts or irks the minority! We can all be, or pretend to be, offended by anything these days. It has become our 'right' to be so.
What a country!

:rolleyes:

Shak

Staff member
Reaction score

Pmsl, brilliant! (even funnier that Wicked never clicked vid so whoosh hahaa) Very well done :)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Pmsl, brilliant! (even funnier that Wicked never clicked vid so whoosh hahaa) Very well done :)
Regardless of whether or not I watched the 'video', I remain resolute by what I posted.
Shame that others, like you, lack the moral fibre to do the same.
Next ...

S

Saphire

:D:D:D

A

AGirlHasNoName

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter our enemies,
And make them fall!
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

Well done the BBC!

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
The good old days eh... By name-dropping comedy sketches from "Monty Python" shoehorned in as many posts as is humanely possible. When comedy was propa comedy and although they constantly took the piss out of my hard-right views, my ignorant patriotism and my toadying to the establishment.

When Spam fritters was still a thing and fish and chips on a Friday night was the highlight of the week, when Cod was still British, propa British, and propa fish. When Benny Hill, in his 50s, could chase a semi-clad young nurse without them feminist women people complaining about it on Ceefax and Jim Davidson was still prime time TV, sharing his inclusive humour. The good old days before the bloody Woke brigade took over and ruined it and when we could still openly celebrate Britain's long and bloody history of enslavement and genocide.

Nowadays they even complain when a machine at work takes an arm or a leg, in my day you just shook it off and carried on with your day. When we had propa paid jobs and didn't need that snowflake minimum wage. It never did me any harm climbing chimneys after I lost 4 fingers at work and could no longer work the Yarn, I didn't complain, I just got on with it. Compensation? I was given leftover cucumber sandwiches and told to f&ck off or they would set the hound on me.

SamBally

Reaction score
Too right, bloody woke idiots, and what did they ever do for me anyway.

Universal Education.
The NHS
Fire Brigade
Police Service.
Welfare.
Holiday Pay.
Maternity Leave.
Sick Pay.
The Right To Protest (ironically).
Public Libraries.
Decent Housing

And all those other really stupid things the woke brigade have fought for over the centuries, idiots don't they know their place in society.

A

AGirlHasNoName

Too right, bloody woke idiots, and what did they ever do for me anyway.

Universal Education.
The NHS
Fire Brigade
Police Service.
Welfare.
Holiday Pay.
Maternity Leave.
Sick Pay.
The Right To Protest (ironically).
Public Libraries.
Decent Housing

And all those other really stupid things the woke brigade have fought for over the centuries, idiots don't they know their place in society.

What does the term "woke" mean to you? Just curious.

SamBally

Reaction score
What does the term "woke" mean to you? Just curious.

Never mind what "woke" means to me. You're not curious at all and like all the other anti-woke brigade you won't explain what your interpretation is.

A

AGirlHasNoName

What on earth are you on about?

Maybe remove your head from your arsehole, and get a sense of humour.

Sarcasm is completely lost on you melts :p

SamBally

Reaction score
What on earth are you on about?

Maybe remove your head from your arsehole, and get a sense of humour.

Sarcasm is completely lost on you melts :p
Sarcasm isn't lost on me at all kiddo, you were just defending the right of private businesses to set their own rules based on their personal religious bigotry.

I try not to converse with gobshites like you.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
With regards to the National Anthem, (most notably, 'God Save The Queen'), it should never have been dropped at the close of broadcasts anyway, in my opinion. The matter was certainly not open to public debate, as far as I am aware.
It's not just the BBC. At the cinema when the film finished, the National Anthem used to get played. I'm not sure how many stood and sang it, a few more than would today I imagine. It's a sign of the times, old boy.

Y

yeejit

UPDATE FOR THE TERMINALLY HUMOURLESS AND TRIBAL:

The BBC has not gone back to playing the national anthem at the end of the day's programmes, nor have they reverted to using 1970's style BBC idents. That was in fact a joke.

However, it's reassuring to know that:

1) In a matter of a few responses the whole thing has been reduced to people calling each other "melts" and "gobshites". Very classy.
2) The same old suspects immediately got into tedious and petty bickering, point scoring and mud-slinging, just like they always do.
3) There's no hope of a reasoned debate here, or even just a bit of a giggle. Why? Because certain posters are so addicted to senseless conflict they actually get off on it, that's why.

Honestly, what an absolute f***ing disgrace.

SamBally

Reaction score
You're right and I apologize for my part. I for one will gaffer tape my typing finger to my head and think twice in the future before I type.

It does become the norm, it has, and it is very unhealthy.

Shak

Staff member
Reaction score

The BBC has not gone back to playing the national anthem at the end of the day's programmes, nor have they reverted to using 1970's style BBC idents. That was in fact a joke.

1) In a matter of a few responses the whole thing has been reduced to people calling each other "melts" and "gobshites". Very classy.
2) The same old suspects immediately got into tedious and petty bickering, point scoring and mud-slinging, just like they always do.
3) There's no hope of a reasoned debate here, or even just a bit of a giggle. Why? Because certain posters are so addicted to senseless conflict they actually get off on it, that's why.

Such a shame, this is why very few decent posts get to the forums now, the people that do them give up as same old conflicts on every post :(. Thank you Yeejit, I enjoyed your post for what it was, a bit of clever well made fun :)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score

Are we now to assume that you won't be posting any more grossly controversial and allegedly amusing threads in case they aren't taken seriously? :cool:

Back