The cost of living.

S

Saphire

Prices have not risen so rapidly since the 1970's.
Food, petrol, energy, home improvements,....everything is soaring drastically.
Eg, fish and chips, used to be cheap and cheerful, it's now a luxury meal for many. Going to the chippy for a fish and chip tea or supper can cost an average family of four £30 plus.o_O
Energy prices have doubled...and filling a car up, has gone up 40% since a few months ago...AND E5 petrol is doing less per gallon than it used to....in spite of initial announcements it did more to the gallon than what we used before.

S

Saphire

It might not be your imagination. Not long ago they started adding ethanol to the petrol, making it 'greener', but giving you less per gallon. :rolleyes:
It's definitely not my imagination Lady, I know too many people who have said the exact same thing.
Our car is doing on average 4 miles per gallon less, and last time we filled up in cost over a tenner more.
This time it'll be a lot more than that.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Inflation is caused when the government borrows money from the Bank of England(A private company btw) which it creates out of thin air to lend them.

It's a simple equation, if something cost £1 today, then the government doubles the amount of money that exists its will cost £2 tomorrow because money has become worth less.
It is more common.

Everything doubles, wages, transport, supplies, it's simple economics.

Inflation does not mean the inflating of prices, it means the inflating of the available money pool.
Thats what most folks dont get.

As for petrol, the reason it is both more expensive and less efficient is because it has more ethonol as you say.

Which would also bring in line various price rises in bread etc.

When grain is used to create biofuel, we cant supply the bread supply chain.

S

Saphire

From what I hear, the price of fuel is also a huge part of the increase in costs.
Everything has to be brought in now, sadly we are not a nation of suppliers, we are a nation of buyers.....so apart from the rising cost of foreign workforce and shipment, mix that in with Brexit.
Then add on the 2 year pandemic, and not least huge multi billion corporations making multi billion profits, ...it all seems like the perfect storm to cause utter misery for the average man/woman in the street, especially the ones who don't claim benefits and have to stretch an already tight budget even tighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It's definitely not my imagination Lady, I know too many people who have said the exact same thing.
Our car is doing on average 4 miles per gallon less, and last time we filled up in cost over a tenner more.
This time it'll be a lot more than that.
if you google "what does ethanol do to my car" it talks about how it damages the internal carparts across the board aswell, so not only does the car buyer get rinsed for more expensive fuel of lesser quality, you start to face repair bills caused by it too :mad:

S

Saphire

if you google "what does ethanol do to my car" it talks about how it damages the internal carparts across the board aswell, so not only does the car buyer get rinsed for more expensive fuel of lesser quality, you start to face repair bills caused by it too :mad:
So no doubt we will all have to buy a newer car years before we would have done pre 'greener' petrol.

As I mentioned previously, petrol has shot up so quickly, 3/4 filled the car up yesterday for £60.
A few months ago a full tank cost £50.
We are being ripped off left, right and centre.:mad:

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Eg, fish and chips, used to be cheap and cheerful, it's now a luxury meal for many. Going to the chippy for a fish and chip tea or supper can cost an average family of four £30 plus.o_O
Energy prices have doubled...and filling a car up, has gone up 40% since a few months ago...AND E5 petrol is doing less per gallon than it used to....in spite of initial announcements it did more to the gallon than what we used before.
I have noticed a slight increase in prices. I mean £1.25 for a bag of mini Cadbury's Twirls down the local Co-op. They used to be a quid!
I only see things getting worse. I know not only on the price of food, but petrol, gas, energy, water, electric. We'll probably all see increases to those bills.

I think in future we're going to have no choice but to be mindful of consumption and what we're using. We'll have to Shop smarter and buying cheaper alternatives(checking those reduced aisles and looking for foods to use and freeze for later), constantly change to cheaper providers when it concerns the electric, water, gas, internet/TV, making sure we're using petrol sparingly, buying a large fish plus two large chips and sharing that if you fancy a chippy.

S

Saphire

I have noticed a slight increase in prices. I mean £1.25 for a bag of mini Cadbury's Twirls down the local Co-op. They used to be a quid!
I only see things getting worse. I know not only on the price of food, but petrol, gas, energy, water, electric. We'll probably all see increases to those bills.

I think in future we're going to have no choice but to be mindful of consumption and what we're using. We'll have to Shop smarter and buying cheaper alternatives(checking those reduced aisles and looking for foods to use and freeze for later), constantly change to cheaper providers when it concerns the electric, water, gas, internet/TV, making sure we're using petrol sparingly, buying a large fish plus two large chips and sharing that if you fancy a chippy.
It's sensible to pull your belt in a bit when times are hard, but from what I see and hear, some people can't pull the belt in any tighter.
When people have to make the choice of eating or heating, it's a sad state of affairs for one of the supposedly richest countries in the world.

Paying an extra 25p on one item isn't life changing, when almost every item you put in your shopping basket has been hiked up, that's a problem.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It's sensible to pull your belt in a bit when times are hard, but from what I see and hear, some people can't pull the belt in any tighter.
When people have to make the choice of eating or heating, it's a sad state of affairs for one of the supposedly richest countries in the world.

Paying an extra 25p on one item isn't life changing, when almost every item you put in your shopping basket has been hiked up, that's a problem.
I was once in that position growing up. We couldn't afford a TV, let alone a TV license, so we had to settle for a radio as entertainment for the time being. There was no central heating or hot water, so that meant double layers of clothing. We had to fill the bath with hot water from the kettle, or visit my grandmothers to take baths.

I've been there, I've experienced it, and the truth is no one is coming to help or get you out of your situation apart from yourself. I've learned a long time ago that no one's coming to save you. It's all about sticking to a budget and making the most of what you've got in that situation.
And governments could give families large sums of money, but without that knowledge and know how on how to invest and make your money go as far as it can, it could end in disaster and they could find themselves back at square one. So sometimes throwing money at something isn't always the answer.

Overall, It's a harsh reality, but life in general is harsh. We can only rely on ourselves in these situations.

S

Saphire

There is a lot more help out there now than what there was when you and I were growing up.
Like you, I grew up in a poor household, not that I ever felt poor, many people were in the same boat, but I now know how my mother struggled to feed and clothe us when we were kids. Benefits were none existent, she worked for what we had....as did we as soon as we were old enough to earn.
I don't think that sort of poverty exists nowadays. The majority of people do have central heating and inside toilets, there is a minimum living allowance, tax credits, more child benefits...etc etc.

But, there is no doubt some people are still struggling. I think there are now more food banks in operation than ever before.
And I doubt people would qualify to use them if they were not desperate.
The huge hike in gas and energy bills will affect millions of people who are just about scraping by without the entitlement of benefits.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
There is a lot more help out there now than what there was when you and I were growing up.
Like you, I grew up in a poor household, not that I ever felt poor, many people were in the same boat, but I now know how my mother struggled to feed and clothe us when we were kids. Benefits were none existent, she worked for what we had....as did we as soon as we were old enough to earn.
I don't think that sort of poverty exists nowadays. The majority of people do have central heating and inside toilets, there is a minimum living allowance, tax credits, more child benefits...etc etc.

But, there is no doubt some people are still struggling. I think there are now more food banks in operation than ever before.
And I doubt people would qualify to use them if they were not desperate.
The huge hike in gas and energy bills will affect millions of people who are just about scraping by without the entitlement of benefits.
There is a lot more help compared to when i was in that situation. I think it made you more creative because you had very little and did anything to pass the time, such as reading, listening to radio shows, art work, going outside more and playing sport. I think i was more active and healthier during those times when we struggled, compared to now when we've never been more comfortable in life. So i do think comfort also comes with other issues.

Sure, the basics are there, but i don't think people budget on how and what they spend their money on, so i wonder if budgeting advice could be useful to families, on how they can save money on a weekly and monthly basis by teaching them money saving tips.
We live in an age of technology too, so there are opportunities for people to make a living through different platforms online, if they want to put in the work and effort. But for whatever reason, the government doesn't seem to promote online entrepreneurship. Platforms such as YouTube, Twitch Streams, you've got Facebook where you can sell items to other people in the local area, of course Amazon and Ebay.

People are struggling, no doubt. Food banks are in operation, but there are a multiple of a opportunities out there for people to make a decent living.
I do think it's about providing people with the knowledge and confidence to get started, because someone may feel overwhelmed for the first time about selling to others online, but once they make that first sale, it's a massive confidence boost. So i think governments should be promoting more entrepreneurship.

S

Saphire

Another thing soaring in price....the cost of MP'S salaries.
A two thousand pound plus annual rise for our overworked and underpaid MP's...which will bring their wages up to over 84k a year.

In some cases, that's a pittance compared to what they claim on expenses, not to mention what they receive for the other paid employment they do, when they are being paid to look after their constituents.

Seems in modern day Britain, the rich are still getting richer, whilst the poor cant afford to heat their homes and put food on the table.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
MP's expenses, oh yes... Employing their partners as secretaries, their children as 'researchers'. All on the gravy train and all within the rules. :rolleyes:
I take the points on the cost of living. Have you considered the cost of dying? Many have, and took out one of these pre-paid funeral schemes. Some of these companies are under investigation to see how viable they are... the implication being that they may go bust in the future, and you will have done your money.

S

Saphire

We are being ripped off left, right and centre....by both parties.
My local area is Labour, their expenses bill this year was astronomical.

Watching PM's questions, and seeing the shower of self entitled twits, either braying or snoring, whilst ordinary man/woman in the street is juggling how to pay for kids uniforms, how to eke their pension out, how to cope with unheard of gas and energy rises...which are set to go through the roof...it's utterly sickening.

S

Saphire

MP's expenses, oh yes... Employing their partners as secretaries, their children as 'researchers'. All on the gravy train and all within the rules. :rolleyes:
I take the points on the cost of living. Have you considered the cost of dying? Many have, and took out one of these pre-paid funeral schemes. Some of these companies are under investigation to see how viable they are... the implication being that they may go bust in the future, and you will have done your money.
It's getting so we will have paupers graves again in this country.
My MIL died 3 years ago, the funeral costs were over 4 grand.

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
the worst appears to be that toad Ian Blackford from the SNP who is rinsing the living daylights out of the expenses system,

1 Jun 2020 — 31 May 2021​

Total claimed:​

£85,429.13 *

S

Saphire

the worst appears to be that toad Ian Blackford from the SNP who is rinsing the living daylights out of the expenses system,

1 Jun 2020 — 31 May 2021​

Total claimed:​

£85,429.13 *

Toad is a good description.
They claim for first class travel, first class hotels, just been reading Angela Raynor even bills the tax payer for trivialities like hand gel and other personal items.

Ordinary people would be up for fraud....not this shower.

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
It's getting so we will have paupers graves again in this country.
My MIL died 3 years ago, the funeral costs were over 4 grand.
Outrageous, isn't it? Legally, one is not obliged to use a funeral director. I have a horror story about this....someone who refused to bury their husband for over a week, and kept his body in their bed in high summer. I won't go into details but a friend of mine had to help her move the body...you can imagine the rest. I think the Hindu way is best....open air burning. Float me down the Thames in a Viking boat.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
A bag of spuds ,a Packet of Cod ( from any supermarket) ,plus the fat for frying you could do Fish and chips plus peas ( of course !) for less than a tenner ! Just a bit easy work in the kitchen and washing up costs ( hot water) .I rekon you could get away with £15 for the whole lot and no petrol costs to boot ! Try it sometime ,well worth it and you can buy the best Fish not crappy pub foods .(done that recently & the tiny piece of Cod i almost threw away and chips were hard .
You know that that`s the reason for having a "kitchen " in most houses.
I was given a 10 kilo sack of best chipping spuds last week by a neighbour who told us that people just ain`t buying them ! They hadn`t been washed ! ffs ..lazy people . I gave him a bottle of cheap Wine and he is satisfied .

Back