The cost of living.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
A bag of spuds ,a Packet of Cod ( from any supermarket) ,plus the fat for frying you could do Fish and chips plus peas ( of course !) for less than a tenner ! Just a bit easy work in the kitchen and washing up costs ( hot water) .I rekon you could get away with £15 for the whole lot and no petrol costs to boot ! Try it sometime ,well worth it and you can buy the best Fish not crappy pub foods .(done that recently & the tiny piece of Cod i almost threw away and chips were hard .
You know that that`s the reason for having a "kitchen " in most houses.
I was given a 10 kilo sack of best chipping spuds last week by a neighbour who told us that people just ain`t buying them ! They hadn`t been washed ! ffs ..lazy people . I gave him a bottle of cheap Wine and he is satisfied .
People seem to be too lazy to cook anything at home these days. They need schooling in basic home economics.
It's far easier, for some, to order something online to be delivered or resort to the convenience of a takeaway.
As you said, if you buy the necessary ingredients and cook them yourself, you are likely to save money, benefit from a more nutritious meal and be greener in the process of doing so.
Along with money management, this and a number of other equally relevant subjects should be compulsory in British education.
Educating the adults is something more difficult to achieve, it would appear.
:rolleyes:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Funny that the state of UK in poverty doesn`t seem to stop the complaints about those trying to get Passes /tickets etc to their favourite holiday resorts abroad ! One of the deceptions about the "poverty" ,"high cost of living " etc etc is that the UK still has plenty of wealthy enough people to even consider a holiday abroad and they ain`t what i`d call "filthy rich " either. Many of them ,i bet ,have their names down on the food bank lists !

S

Saphire

A bag of spuds ,a Packet of Cod ( from any supermarket) ,plus the fat for frying you could do Fish and chips plus peas ( of course !) for less than a tenner ! Just a bit easy work in the kitchen and washing up costs ( hot water) .I rekon you could get away with £15 for the whole lot and no petrol costs to boot ! Try it sometime ,well worth it and you can buy the best Fish not crappy pub foods .(done that recently & the tiny piece of Cod i almost threw away and chips were hard .
You know that that`s the reason for having a "kitchen " in most houses.
I was given a 10 kilo sack of best chipping spuds last week by a neighbour who told us that people just ain`t buying them ! They hadn`t been washed ! ffs ..lazy people . I gave him a bottle of cheap Wine and he is satisfied .
The only chippy tea (from the fish and chip shop) I have had in 2 or 3 years, was last week, when the oven door shattered (clumsy OH) and we were without an oven or grill for a few days.
I have to say, I did enjoy it, but as I seldom eat greasy, calorie laden food like this, I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it.

You don't have to lecture me on the benefit of home cooking, I have done it for decades.

S

Saphire

Outrageous, isn't it? Legally, one is not obliged to use a funeral director. I have a horror story about this....someone who refused to bury their husband for over a week, and kept his body in their bed in high summer. I won't go into details but a friend of mine had to help her move the body...you can imagine the rest. I think the Hindu way is best....open air burning. Float me down the Thames in a Viking boat.
Oh dear. :confused:

I agree, the quickest and easiest way of disposing a body with respect (my belief is the person has gone to wherever they are destined to be) is by fire.
I think the idea of cluttering up the country with more and more graveyards, which entails much ado and expense, is pretty pointless.

S

Saphire

Funny that the state of UK in poverty doesn`t seem to stop the complaints about those trying to get Passes /tickets etc to their favourite holiday resorts abroad ! One of the deceptions about the "poverty" ,"high cost of living " etc etc is that the UK still has plenty of wealthy enough people to even consider a holiday abroad and they ain`t what i`d call "filthy rich " either. Many of them ,i bet ,have their names down on the food bank lists !
I very much doubt it.

C

CrazyCatLady

It's getting so we will have paupers graves again in this country.
My MIL died 3 years ago, the funeral costs were over 4 grand.
I'm donating my body to science and the proceeds going to a cat home. They pay a good penny for a pound of flesh and my relatives deserve **** all.

C

CrazyCatLady

People seem to be too lazy to cook anything at home these days. They need schooling in basic home economics.
It's far easier, for some, to order something online to be delivered or resort to the convenience of a takeaway.
As you said, if you buy the necessary ingredients and cook them yourself, you are likely to save money, benefit from a more nutritious meal and be greener in the process of doing so.
Along with money management, this and a number of other equally relevant subjects should be compulsory in British education.
Educating the adults is something more difficult to achieve, it would appear.
:rolleyes:
It's far easier to buy in bulk, shove everything in a slow cooker in the morning and batch cook. I then don't have to wait 45 minutes for my dinner, because it's ready at around 4pm or argue with some plank that my accompanying salad is soggy and brown. Have been doing this for over a year and roughly spend about £50 a month on food. You can freeze almost anything- even fresh fruit.

S

Saphire

I'm donating my body to science and the proceeds going to a cat home. They pay a good penny for a pound of flesh and my relatives deserve **** all.
What could be better than ending your life knowing you will be helping the very things you loved in your life?
I declared decades ago, everything I have, (except my eyes)
once dead, could go towards research.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Saphire said:
It's getting so we will have paupers graves again in this country.
My MIL died 3 years ago, the funeral costs were over 4 grand.
From my experience, a funeral only costs as much as you want it to, especially if you are paying for it yourself.
There is no reason, in this day and age, for a funeral to cost over £2,000, unless you want 'all the trimmings'.

If you can afford to increase the profits of funeral services then I suppose you can, fortunately, dictate how much you wish to pay for a funeral.
People are becoming wise to the unnecessary expense of saying farewell to their loved ones and being taken advantage of at a vulnerable time.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
5p off the price of petrol, would you be bothered? He has however, announced a cut in the basic rate of income tax... in 2024! Just in time for the next election. :rolleyes: Now call me suspicious, but I find that suspicious!

S

Saphire

I haven't seen the news yet.....one thing for sure is, what is given with one hand, will be snatched back with interest with the other.

S

Saphire

BBC news today.

"More people in the UK are struggling to afford to eat every day as food prices rise, according to research by charity the Food Foundation.

Around one in seven adults live in homes where people have skipped meals, reduced meal sizes or gone hungry, an online survey suggested.
Food has become more expensive as producers push their rising energy costs on to consumers.
Prices are rising by 7% a year in the UK - the highest rate for 30 years.
The Bank of England has warned inflation might reach 10% within months, as the rising prices of fuel and food put pressure on household budgets.
The Food Foundation also said that people had increasingly opted to take more cold food from food banks because of fears that cooking items would increase their energy costs."

S

Saphire

Yet we can give billions to Ukraine and countless millions in foreign aid. We can spend millions more housing and feeding illegal immigrants, while British people suffer. Nobody can tell me this isn't a deliberate attack on the British people anymore. :mad::mad:
It's a sad state of affairs when people are not eating food, because they cant afford to buy it, and cant afford to cook it.
It harks back to wartime.
Sadder still is, some are making fortunes whilst others are poverty struck.

BBC news 5/5/22

"Energy giant Shell has reported its highest ever quarterly profits as oil and gas prices surge around the world.
Shell made $9.13bn (£7.3bn) in the first three months of the year, nearly triple its $3.2bn profit it announced for the same period last year.
But the firm said pulling out of Russian oil and gas due to the Ukraine conflict had cost it $3.9bn (£3.1bn).
On Tuesday, rival BP also reported a sharp rise in profit, but the UK has so far ruled out a windfall tax."

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
BBC news today.

"More people in the UK are struggling to afford to eat every day as food prices rise, according to research by charity the Food Foundation.

Around one in seven adults live in homes where people have skipped meals, reduced meal sizes or gone hungry, an online survey suggested.
Food has become more expensive as producers push their rising energy costs on to consumers.
Prices are rising by 7% a year in the UK - the highest rate for 30 years.
The Bank of England has warned inflation might reach 10% within months, as the rising prices of fuel and food put pressure on household budgets.
The Food Foundation also said that people had increasingly opted to take more cold food from food banks because of fears that cooking items would increase their energy costs."

Typical BBC BS.
Prices are rising because the government inflated the money supply by creating billions out of thin air.

Prices dont inflate, money supply does, which means the currency is worth less, hence it costs more to buy the same thing.

This was happening way before the invasion of Ukraine.

Just as in the UK the US president uses "Putins Price Hikes" as just an excuse for a ruined economy caused by unchecked government borrowing.

Russia has killed the idea of MMT (Modern Monetary Theory) that a government can borrow without limits, they have backed the Ruble to gold for some exchanges.

Thats why the Ruble is being bought all throughout the West and the Russian currency is the strongest it has been for decades.

It's going to get a lot worse before we get someone in power who actually starts to get back to fiscal responsibility.

C

ChasingRubies

Life isn't that easy anymore though, because now you have the added issue of needing a smart phone and the internet and no matter who says this is a luxury, its not. Say you're on UC, you have to log into it every single day, banks are closing everywhere and moving into online only, everything requires internet access and something to access it on. You could say well go to the library, and yeah you could, IF the local authorities hadn't stopped opening them every day and reduced them to twice a week (round here anyway). There is so many added expenses nowadays from when all of us were younger, poverty was different then - the world was different. Life is hard for everyone now unless you're very fortunate.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Life isn't that easy anymore though, because now you have the added issue of needing a smart phone and the internet and no matter who says this is a luxury, its not. Say you're on UC, you have to log into it every single day, banks are closing everywhere and moving into online only, everything requires internet access and something to access it on. You could say well go to the library, and yeah you could, IF the local authorities hadn't stopped opening them every day and reduced them to twice a week (round here anyway). There is so many added expenses nowadays from when all of us were younger, poverty was different then - the world was different. Life is hard for everyone now unless you're very fortunate.

Talk Talk do 6 months free broadband for eligible work seekers.
BT also do deals for those on benefits (BT Essentials).
As do various other companies.

My mate gets his mobile phone from Virgin, unlimited minutes and texts and about 5 gig internet which is plenty for browsing for £8 a month.

Hardly breaking the bank.

If your logging onto UC every day you must be a job seeker.
Talk to your advisor, ask them if you can cut back as internet access is difficult.

I did, they simply rang me every few days.
They also offered to get me a mobile and pay towards a pay as you go account, but I didnt want a mobile.
Talk to them.

Back