Should the age where kids are taught about Religion be raised?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
The Brain's of young children are extremely susceptible to what they are told. (and it's something that can be carried on into later life..)

Shouldn't we raise the age to when they are sufficiently Adult enough, to fully understand the implications?

Personally.. i'd BAN the teaching of ALL religions all together...Apart from the Historic aspect.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I don't see why we should change when things will be much more relaxed once refugees (many demanding muslim teaching) no longer requiring temporary sanctuary kindly given by Britain and the western world all over now their homelands are safe to return to finally return home to proudly rebuild the countries they were tragically forced to abandon now Trump's made them safe again.
When they leave there will be a lot less need to walk round politically correct eggshells religion wise as Britain can rediscover and assert its own identity again as well as housing space freed up plus teachers will be less stressed and waiting times at health centres will be back to 45 mins instead of over 2 hours.

Fair Comment...But i was on about Religion taught in Schools... in particular.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I think it's a great topic for discussion. I can only talk from my own personal experiences learning about religion in religious education classes.
I didn't really learn a lot about Christianity, and i learnt more about a variety of religion. I was fascinated that Hinduism allowed knives to be carried.
I remember being fascinated by the different cultures and religions that were out there, which is probably a big reason why i gravitated towards history as a subject. These both go hand in hand as subjects. I think we can all agree that historical importance is a good thing.
Do i think different religions should be taught at school? Yes, i think a diverse range of religions should be taught in school, but they must be explained to that these are ideologies. The children can then form views and opinions on what to believe in or follow. You may have children who are influenced by these lessons to take up a certain religion, or they may become atheists who don't believe in the ideologies.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I think it's a great topic for discussion. I can only talk from my own personal experiences learning about religion in religious education classes.
I didn't really learn a lot about Christianity, and i learnt more about a variety of religion. I was fascinated that Hinduism allowed knives to be carried.
I remember being fascinated by the different cultures and religions that were out there, which is probably a big reason why i gravitated towards history as a subject. These both go hand in hand as subjects. I think we can all agree that historical importance is a good thing.
Do i think different religions should be taught at school? Yes, i think a diverse range of religions should be taught in school, but they must be explained to that these are ideologies. The children can then form views and opinions on what to believe in or follow. You may have children who are influenced by these lessons to take up a certain religion, or they may become atheists who don't believe in the ideologies.

Also that they must be Explained that the belief in a Supernatural being is a False belief. Pardon Me.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I'm with Wojick on this 'cos a bit of religion is important, we sung happy hymns every week in primary school (may have been every 2 weeks bit vague) and learned a few life pointers through it too, i thought the balance was right as it wasn't rammed down our throats but everyone happily participated without objection, even kids whos parents were from different countries, everyone joined in.
Ok...If EVERYONE had your take on this...All would be fine...!

BUT....They're not.

Including Me.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Bet you wound up a couple of teachers lol, i think there's something bigger than us we should acknowledge from time to time, religion is security for a lot of people that stops them giving up/going nuts remember and that shouldn't be taken away.
When it comes to those objecting to Christianity (Talk about ungrateful guests) in the west the solution is simple and obvious, they better go back to indigenous country of origin of the religion they adopt in the first place if they don't like it then they'll stop being litigious troublemakers cluttering up the courts moaning about it which the EU outrageously enabled.

I was banned from RE class at an early age..(Yes..!)

I think it's nice that you think there is 'Something bigger' than us...! Nothing wrong with that.

As an Athiest ...I can't acknowledge it though.

When which 'GOD' (OR, Religion..) you believe in.... Depends entirely from where you were Born..

They can't all be right...!

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Every country/creeds respective image of God is climatised to that part of the world so it's just crazy to send ones from different ones to expect to be treated the same in another as tourists in Saudi Arabia soon discover when there then get arrestedand severely shaken down for something said off the cuff about islam/an ex husband (as that poor dumped wife who slagged him and his new girlfriend off recently discovered) about that place and others like it.

That's really not on Topic fella. I actually agree with a lot of what you have said...But it's not on topic.

JoeDark

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
The religious indoctrination of children is tantamount to child abuse and domestic terrorism.
It's one thing to teach about the factual history and beliefs of various religions but quite another to brainwash and terrify them into believing a particular religion is true whilst all others are false etc.
Secular humanism will eventually take over as the main ideology and all of these vile sectarian cult schools will be shut down forever.
Religions will soon be a thing of the past and bloody good riddance to them all.

All that being said, I will happily repent and convert to a religion just as soon as one of their members walks on water, reanimates the dead, restores lost amputee limbs or moves a mountain through faith alone.

B

Bad_Influence

In my humble opinion, religion of all denominations is fraud. Those who sit at the top table of any religion feed on the gullibility of the populace, and feed well. For instance the news today that Scientology is being accused of child abuse and human trafficking is hardly a surprise any more. This has been coming and is not confined to pseudo-religions such as Scientology but it does emphasise the gullibility of humanity.
For the human race to have any hope of continuing, religion and belief in false gods has to be eradicated.
I understand that faith brings some people comfort, and in a way I envy that, but I think comfort borne of a false god is cold comfort.
Science is based on experiment and proof, religion is based on rumour and gossip (albeit that gossip has been fooling people for 1000s of years).
I'll happily row down the river Styx to Hell (with an upper-case H) should any God prove his/her existence. but in the whole history of humanity there has never been ANY reason to believe that a higher power exists.
If people NEED something to believe in, and here's a novel concept, try believing in the goodness and righteousness of the human race, even if goodness and righteousness seems to be becoming more rare by the day.
Disclaimer: This is solely my opinion and I'm open to be proven wrong. However, rumour and gossip is NOT proof.
:):):):)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, religion of all denominations is fraud. Those who sit at the top table of any religion feed on the gullibility of the populace, and feed well. For instance the news today that Scientology is being accused of child abuse and human trafficking is hardly a surprise any more. This has been coming and is not confined to pseudo-religions such as Scientology but it does emphasise the gullibility of humanity.
For the human race to have any hope of continuing, religion and belief in false gods has to be eradicated.
I understand that faith brings some people comfort, and in a way I envy that, but I think comfort borne of a false god is cold comfort.
Science is based on experiment and proof, religion is based on rumour and gossip (albeit that gossip has been fooling people for 1000s of years).
I'll happily row down the river Styx to Hell (with an upper-case H) should any God prove his/her existence. but in the whole history of humanity there has never been ANY reason to believe that a higher power exists.
If people NEED something to believe in, and here's a novel concept, try believing in the goodness and righteousness of the human race, even if goodness and righteousness seems to be becoming more rare by the day.
Disclaimer: This is solely my opinion and I'm open to be proven wrong. However, rumour and gossip is NOT proof.
:):):):)

Great post..;)

If anyone needs something to 'Believe in'..They need look no further than the sky.! I believe in the sun..It's there every day, never falters, and it doesn't ask me for my soul or my money.:)

B

Bad_Influence

Great post..;)

If anyone needs something to 'Believe in'..They need look no further than the sky.! I believe in the sun..It's there every day, never falters, and it doesn't ask me for my soul or my money.:)

And I bet you get the same returns on any prayers that you’d get is those same prayers were asked of one god or another.

Watermelon

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
As someone who is in school now I think they should still teach about all religion in secondary school as if we are not taught about religion young we will not know about most religion as it would be up to our parents to teach us and the could be biased.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
As someone who is in school now I think they should still teach about all religion in secondary school as if we are not taught about religion young we will not know about most religion as it would be up to our parents to teach us and the could be biased.

Bang on...Fair enough...Just don't teach it as FACT.

Back