Should the age where kids are taught about Religion be raised?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Altair, Apr 28, 2019.

1. ladymuck

ladymuck UKChat Newbie

There is a difference between Christianity and the Christian church. The teachings of Jesus make a good basis for a decent, civilised society. If we can teach those to children without all the hype about 'God', angels etc...I don't think anyone could object to that.

Altair and Bad_Influence like this.
  2. Bad_Influence

Bad_Influence Doesn't do titles...

I couldn't agree more. Society is on a downward spiral, decency, morals, respect, discipline and compassion are rapidly becoming things of the past. I believe that we are done as a species unless we get back to teaching kids that the world does not owe them a living, and that actions have consequences.

3. ladymuck

ladymuck UKChat Newbie

Indeed. Liberals think of themselves as terribly modern and enlightened, but their policies have brought out the worst in human nature. The present state of society proves that children (and adults) actually NEED guidance, discipline and rules to live by.

Bad_Influence likes this.
  4. Bad_Influence

Bad_Influence Doesn't do titles...

We are told we have to be tolerant of everything and everybody. Minorities, be it ethnic, gender, sexuality, etc... MUST be made to feel equal. But here’s the rub, tolerance has to be mutual or as is the case now it just breeds resentment and bitterness.
    For example Gender-neutral is not a thing despite what we are told. You can be asexual, yes, but you are born male or female even if some are mentally and emotionally born into the wrong body. Yet we are told that it’s ok to raise a child as gender neutral. This IS child abuse no matter how The Independent and the BBC dresses it up. It’s about time someone banged these parents heads together and tell them to just stop being silly.

Wren likes this.
  5. midget_gem

midget_gem UKChat Familiar

now Sectarianism I totally disagree with, especially when to do with religion and the old firm one example....when for an early age its drilled into young babie/kids whos family are big in the orange logde. Yesterday in Glasgow the Orange walk was out. I am not against the orange lodge its just so wrong when u see babies/toddlers/preschoolers walking in the parades. Let them grow up enjoy beginning a kid and let them make the choice when they fully understand about it all. Just think it is so wrong.

6. midget_gem

midget_gem UKChat Familiar

I can see altairs point. Times have moved on as such. But even if religion is still taught in schools and that doesn't change. My point is If i got to , Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea (randomly picked) we have to abide by their rules, regulations, Laws extra. They do not change or wavier for no colour creed and religion, if u do not abide you face the consequences. I think Britain Has got to lenient and panders to much. Oh we must not offend. Yeah u got to move with the times but you have to Abide by the countries laws and rules.

7. ladymuck

ladymuck UKChat Newbie

That's absolutely right. These people have chosen to come and live in a country which has a different culture from their own, yet we are expected to fall over backwards to appease them as though they are honoured guests. Being allowed to live in Britain should be regarded as a privilege, not a right.
    As regards the Orange Lodge...this is fuelling religious hatred and bigotry, and indoctrinating the little ones to feel the same way. The people of Northern Ireland blame the British for their problems, but they are the ones keeping their communities apart.

Altair likes this.
  8. Altair

Altair UKChat Familiar

I have Irish blood running through my veins. I was actually brought up as a Catholic. By very strict Catholic parents.

My parents wanted me to train to be a Catholic Priest.! I put them off by telling them that I could not maintain the disciplines required of a Catholic Priest, the celibacy and so on.

I asked Myself a very simple question one day...'If I had NEVER heard of Jesus Christ ' 'If I had NEVER heard of the Miracles of him being raised from the dead'...If someone just walked upto ME and told ME these things, would I believe them?..

My Answer was NO.

Growing up with such Sectarian Beliefs...Everything Splits along those lines..

The moment I lost My Christian Faith, all My Bigotry and all my Sectarian attitudes dissappeared..!

From that moment on, I have been an Athiest.

Science was one of my other passions, which i later went on to study.

9. JJ50

JJ50 UKChat Newbie

Having been subjected to the ghastly, 'you must be 'saved' or burn in hell' dogma as a child, I am of the opinion that children should never be pressured in to accepting a faith. They should be able to make up their own minds on the topic, as our own children were encouraged to do.

10. Altair

Altair UKChat Familiar

Cool... How have 'Your' children progressed so far?...:)

11. JJ50

JJ50 UKChat Newbie

All three girls are Christians, but very moderate in their views, not Biblical literalists, than goodness. The eldest is a vicar.

12. ladymuck

ladymuck UKChat Newbie

We can't make anti-Islam comments....we can't make anti-Jewish comments....but presumably it's absolutely fine to criticise the Christian church? I still think that ALL children being educated in British schools should be taught the basic Christian principles. They are, after all, based on the Mosaic teachings so therefore cannot be considered offensive to any other faith. I do object, however, to the indoctrination given by the Catholic church. My own children were educated in Catholic schools and I disagreed with much of what they were taught. Luckily, they had me as their mother and were able to come home and discuss things with me. Once they left school they had nothing more to do with the church, Catholic or otherwise.