Qbism as a theory of reality?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Well....no matter what the Magician did, Reality still stayed the same, at least for the 'Observers' outside of that experience. Yours is a difficult question to answer.

To postulate that Reality is somehow connected with knowledge based on perception over time is moot.

Reality doesn't give a stuff about your Knowledge and Perception.!

People CAN be Religious without Proof / Evidence.

We see that today, with BILLIONS of people convinced, there is a Magic Man in the sky.!

The most salient point "Reality doesn't give a stuff about your Knowledge and Perception.!"

So what is reality?

The condition of all things physical, meta-physical and emotional at a given time.

An (almost) infinate number of variables which may or may not be acted upon by an (almost) infinate number of other variables?

The difference between Qbism and the main theory which it challenges is that of whether by measuring or observing an action/reaction one changes reality.
Hence by percieving, either directly or through a measuring device one changes it.

The standard Copenhagen theory is that the action/reaction would take place with or without any measurement of it and is unaltered by the measuring of it.

The problem is, that quantum experiments cannot be reproduced with the same supposed variables, hence the hidden variable theory implies that once we have maximal knowledge of a subject, then we have answered only half what there is to know.

Which kind of buggers up Einsteins "I dont belive God plays dice".

So it beggers the question, if we cannot even measure a quantum state with any actual re-producable results, they appear to be random even at the same time.

Does "reality" exist at all?

Or is it simply a word we invented to describe what we understand to be true, to bring order to the chaos of all things physical, meta-physical and emotional?

Well it was a fun one :)

We all know that "reality" and "truth" are very rarely bedfellows and anyone who says "I understand Quantum Physics" is either a liar or delusional.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Do we know the difference between an absolute objective reality and the subjective measuring of it?

How can reality be singularly objective when measured in human terms?

Is therefore reality simply how we percieve it?

If reality becomes subjective, as the post modernists would have us think, how can one counter that argument?

Is reality a constant which exists and we are just viewers of it over time, or do we create reality by our actions or inactions?

Curious what folks think :)
The simple answer to this is that, as far as I am concerned, what I perceive by my own senses is what exists to me.
I am prepared to 'live' with the consequences of my own (subjective) perceptions.

Until someone proves otherwise, that condition will not change. I somehow doubt that they will.
I cannot understand why people feel any need to complicate what is so simple.
Do you?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The simple answer to this is that, as far as I am concerned, what I perceive by my own senses is what exists to me.
I am prepared to 'live' with the consequences of my own (subjective) perceptions.

Until someone proves otherwise, that condition will not change. I somehow doubt that they will.
I cannot understand why people feel any need to complicate what is so simple.
Do you?

Only by asking questions do we get answers.

It's debate thats running in both the subjects of philosophy and physics.
Those two topics rarely align, which is what makes it interesting.

The last time they did to this degree someone said "Now, I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

Artificial intelligence and the "meaning" of reality are now the two most important subjects we as a "race" have to answer.
Both are as world changing as the nuclear bomb.

Yes I put race in quotation marks, as we are but one race, that of humans, anything else is simply a phenotype.

Brings to mind "Just because one can do a thing, does not mean one should".

We only figure out if we should, by asking questions.

Back