MPs pay rise.

Resolute

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Clap? I'd boo mine. That's why he's against Open Selection. Seat for life and all that.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
And it's nigh on impossible to sack an MP, no matter how incompetent they may be. Look at that MP who travelled up to Scotland by train knowing they had the virus . . . . . The basic salary of an MP is not overly excessive, it's the expenses they can claim that get me. They can employ their partners as secretaries, their children as 'researchers' all paid for by the state. If they need staff the jobs should be advertised, otherwise, what is it called, nepotism or. . . . cronyism? I always get those words mixed up.

Resolute

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
And it's nigh on impossible to sack an MP, no matter how incompetent they may be. Look at that MP who travelled up to Scotland by train knowing they had the virus . . . . . The basic salary of an MP is not overly excessive, it's the expenses they can claim that get me. They can employ their partners as secretaries, their children as 'researchers' all paid for by the state. If they need staff the jobs should be advertised, otherwise, what is it called, nepotism or. . . . cronyism? I always get those words mixed up.

Nepotism is related to favouring family members; croynism, favouring friends etc.

There is an argument that MPs should be paid well enough to be able to live comfortably. Otherwise, it could lead to the situation where only the rich can afford to become MPs. However, in that case, they can't - or shouldn't be able to - have second jobs. If you're able to have second (or seventh - a la many Tories) jobs, then surely you're neglecting your constituents in some way.

Back