Limits of the human mind

Vernonya

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
With regards to being 'alone' in the cosmos, it seems unlikely because life can exist in conditions that would kill us, such as the bacteria that can live in the sub oceanic vents and in other places in sulphurous volcanic streams. On other planets these conditions may be quite the norm, and if life can exist on them in a simple form it is odds on that there will be cases where that life has developed and is self aware but to whom a visit to an oxygenated, relatively cool world could be dangerous for them. The problem with the human mind is that it cannot contemplate nothing or eternal, it has to have limits or horizons. If they are not apparent it puts them in for you. In effect if you, say, started with a figure of 1,000,000, that is years of age, then added noughts to it until you eventually reached the centre of our galaxy, you would still be nowhere near what the meaning of what 'endless looks like', in fact you could go on adding on naughts for the rest of your life and still not have the answer nor will you ever be able to because the figure is no longer mathematical, endless cannot be described in numbers. IIt cannot even be described as 'N' Thus, it would be foolish to think that, in the concept of endless, that sentient life has never arisen. In our limited universe, of what we can see, may not last for ever, but in other places it will and our universe will eventually come back either in the same format, or in and entirely different format, for the next cycle and certainly in several billion universes down the line it will come back with the same laws of physics as our universe

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
With regards to being 'alone' in the cosmos, it seems unlikely because life can exist in conditions that would kill us, such as the bacteria that can live in the sub oceanic vents and in other places in sulphurous volcanic streams. On other planets these conditions may be quite the norm, and if life can exist on them in a simple form it is odds on that there will be cases where that life has developed and is self aware but to whom a visit to an oxygenated, relatively cool world could be dangerous for them. The problem with the human mind is that it cannot contemplate nothing or eternal, it has to have limits or horizons. If they are not apparent it puts them in for you. In effect if you, say, started with a figure of 1,000,000, that is years of age, then added noughts to it until you eventually reached the centre of our galaxy, you would still be nowhere near what the meaning of what 'endless looks like', in fact you could go on adding on naughts for the rest of your life and still not have the answer nor will you ever be able to because the figure is no longer mathematical, endless cannot be described in numbers. IIt cannot even be described as 'N' Thus, it would be foolish to think that, in the concept of endless, that sentient life has never arisen. In our limited universe, of what we can see, may not last for ever, but in other places it will and our universe will eventually come back either in the same format, or in and entirely different format, for the next cycle and certainly in several billion universes down the line it will come back with the same laws of physics as our universe

There is a strong argument that the Universe is 'Infinite'...Which I believe it is.

No beginning and No end.

Just a perpetual line of time.

B

Bad_Influence

There is a strong argument that the Universe is 'Infinite'...Which I believe it is.

No beginning and No end.

Just a perpetual line of time.
If it's not infinite, what's beyond it? I know some believe it is finite but you can never reach an 'edge', you just return to where you started but if finite, there MUST be an end point... a wall? a quantum barrier? But again that leaves the question what is on the other side?

Either way, we'll never prove infinity.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
my head hurts thinking about it

Attachments

• 1c1c918b83b53e58a00a94f5.jpg
    1c1c918b83b53e58a00a94f5.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1

Vernonya

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I saw a question in here about relativity, and I thought it was actually correct . We could never mechanically travel at anywhere near the speed of light let along faster than the speed of light. Even it we could it must be remembered that we are looking at the universe often thousands of light years distant. We would not have a clue what the picture is today, for all we know what looks like a promising star maybe in a state of super-nova right now. Then how long would it take to work up to 670,000,000 MPH per hour . I would think a couple of years at least, and that would take more fuel to achieve than any space-craft could hope to carry. Moreover, it would take as long to slow down as it did to work up the speed.Then there is the passage time back on Earth. Worm holes ? It is not even proven that they exist and even if they did they would probably be transitional and highly unstable . Even if one could be found you may've to wait around 50 years, or so to find it, and at snail drive another 100 years to reach its event horizon. Regrettably it could well be gone before you want to come back ! Warp drive and Hyperdrive I consider to be invented to make it easier for Science Fiction writers to explain how they get their characters around the universe, but it does not explain how they get round relativity !. In a recent novel that I have written I have dispensed with the problems by the invention of Dark Matter Transit. You do not move in dark matter, (as in A to B because dark matter has no dimensions) you submerge into it and re-emerge where you (hopefully) wish to be, and that would be instantaneous... If you are interested you could hunt for it on the web, anti spam rules prevent me from giving a link

Regards al

B

Bad_Influence

I saw a question in here about relativity, and I thought it was actually correct . We could never mechanically travel at anywhere near the speed of light let along faster than the speed of light. Even it we could it must be remembered that we are looking at the universe often thousands of light years distant. We would not have a clue what the picture is today, for all we know what looks like a promising star maybe in a state of super-nova right now. Then how long would it take to work up to 670,000,000 MPH per hour . I would think a couple of years at least, and that would take more fuel to achieve than any space-craft could hope to carry. Moreover, it would take as long to slow down as it did to work up the speed.Then there is the passage time back on Earth. Worm holes ? It is not even proven that they exist and even if they did they would probably be transitional and highly unstable . Even if one could be found you may've to wait around 50 years, or so to find it, and at snail drive another 100 years to reach its event horizon. Regrettably it could well be gone before you want to come back ! Warp drive and Hyperdrive I consider to be invented to make it easier for Science Fiction writers to explain how they get their characters around the universe, but it does not explain how they get round relativity !. In a recent novel that I have written I have dispensed with the problems by the invention of Dark Matter Transit. You do not move in dark matter, (as in A to B because dark matter has no dimensions) you submerge into it and re-emerge where you (hopefully) wish to be, and that would be instantaneous... If you are interested you could hunt for it on the web, anti spam rules prevent me from giving a link

Regards al
While I agree with you on most points, the laws of physics, as we currently understand them, do not prohibit the possibility of faster-than-light travel. Agreed it would take immense amounts of time to attain such speed and to return to a stop, and whether we could survive long enough is debatable at best, highly unlikely at least.
We do not have the knowledge at present, or in the foreseeable future, to produce a fuel to allow us to even consider this sort of travel. The only potential method would be an ion-drive and we are a long way short of getting that technology sorted.
Also, worm holes and the like have been hypothesised but the majority of theoretical physicists believe they are a myth. It has been suggested that black holes could be portals through spacetime but we’d be spaghettified before we got close enough to find out. It’s easy to theorise something that is impossible to be proven false.

B

Bad_Influence

go watch dr brian cox prog
I like him but there are far better documentaries to be found online.
Just don’t believe all you read, but that can be said of everything online. Lol

Reaction score
But we know we're alone in the universe, have other civilisations contacted us for permission to live in our universe?

How was our sun created, where did the sun come from? Did our sun get ignited by a match, was it a cloud of gas before it became a hot flaming ball? Did God break wind and the gas that came out from him is the sun (in which case why did he light it?) and the solid bits are the planets? Thats the way I gather stuff is made, it has to come from somewhere. Why do galaxies move, what started them moving, is there some sort of atmosphere in space? Are there more universes outside of ours? So what do we call the place that has universes in it?

And is the universe round like a planet or is there a flat universe theory? Can I fall off the edge of the universe? You could say the Earth was infinite if you wanted to keep going around it or you lacked the brains to notice you kept going around.

B

Bad_Influence

But we know we're alone in the universe, have other civilisations contacted us for permission to live in our universe?

How was our sun created, where did the sun come from? Did our sun get ignited by a match, was it a cloud of gas before it became a hot flaming ball? Did God break wind and the gas that came out from him is the sun (in which case why did he light it?) and the solid bits are the planets? Thats the way I gather stuff is made, it has to come from somewhere. Why do galaxies move, what started them moving, is there some sort of atmosphere in space? Are there more universes outside of ours? So what do we call the place that has universes in it?

And is the universe round like a planet or is there a flat universe theory? Can I fall off the edge of the universe? You could say the Earth was infinite if you wanted to keep going around it or you lacked the brains to notice you kept going around.

If I thought you were serious I wouldn't know where to start. :DThere's so much wrong it would take forever to answer all the questions and to correct inaccurate assumptions.:):):):)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
If it's not infinite, what's beyond it? I know some believe it is finite but you can never reach an 'edge', you just return to where you started but if finite, there MUST be an end point... a wall? a quantum barrier? But again that leaves the question what is on the other side?

Either way, we'll never prove infinity.

Correct. If the Universe IS Finite...Then there is an end...But it's not an end that we could ever observe. It would be similar to what you would see if you fell into a Black Hole.

Why can't an 'Infinite' universe ever be proved?

B

Bad_Influence

Correct. If the Universe IS Finite...Then there is an end...But it's not an end that we could ever observe. It would be similar to what you would see if you fell into a Black Hole.

Why can't an 'Infinite' universe ever be proved?
First, you could never fall ‘into’ a lack hole as you’d be spaghettifid into a stream of atoms even before you reached the event horizon.
And you can’t prove infinity in any form. No matter how high you can count, how far you can see, the end may be just beyond.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
First, you could never fall ‘into’ a lack hole as you’d be spaghettifid into a stream of atoms even before you reached the event horizon.
And you can’t prove infinity in any form. No matter how high you can count, how far you can see, the end may be just beyond.

I didn't say what would happen to you if you fell into a Black Hole. I said if ever you fell into one..( Or was pulled..;))

Infinity would have to begin with a - ....You can't add + 1 to it. ;)

B

Bad_Influence

I didn't say what would happen to you if you fell into a Black Hole. I said if ever you fell into one..( Or was pulled..;))

Infinity would have to begin with a - ....You can't add + 1 to it. ;)
Mathematicians hate infinity. Too many paradoxes involved. The infinite hotel theory is the perfect example.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Mathematicians hate infinity. Too many paradoxes involved. The infinite hotel theory is the perfect example.

I agree...I just don't think it's 'Impossible' though. 50 or 60 years of Science is not enough...we have barely scratched the surface of it.

Faster than Light travel will never be possible. The only way we could achieve something similar would be by Matter Transportation. Yeah...that what you see on Star Trek..!

B

Bad_Influence

I agree...I just don't think it's 'Impossible' though. 50 or 60 years of Science is not enough...we have barely scratched the surface of it.

Faster than Light travel will never be possible. The only way we could achieve something similar would be by Matter Transportation. Yeah...that what you see on Star Trek..!
So you want to find the end on infinity? By definition if there’s an end, it’s not infinite. Lol

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
So you want to find the end on infinity? By definition if there’s an end, it’s not infinite. Lol

Eh?....That's not what i said. !

What I meant was...If the Universe is Finite...Then there is an END to it..But we could never observe it.!

If it's 'Infinite' then it is just that...Infinite. No end and No Beginning.

B

Bad_Influence

Eh?....That's not what i said. !

What I meant was...If the Universe is Finite...Then there is an END to it..But we could never observe it.!
Your question was ‘why can’t an infinite universe ever be proved ‘ No fecking wonder you confuse me :D:D:p:p

Back