Lies

Storm

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Do you think it's ok to lie so you don't hurt someone

clactonolderguy

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
it can be difficult but there may be times in ones life we lie to try and protect somebody from hurt or pain. though we may be later found out..if. a lie was well intentioned and for good reason they person being lied to will understand and may even be thankful you cared enough. judgement on this is hard as too easy to tell a well meaning fib and then find we may have a choice to carry on or be honest.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Come on. 'Fess' up!
You're having an affair with the Amazon delivery driver, aren't you, and you don't know whether or not to tell your husband?
Tell him that you are actually getting your sex toys from Lovehoney and he'll be no wiser.
:cool:

Last edited:

Storm

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Come on. 'Fess' up!
You're having an affair with the Amazon delivery driver, aren't you, and you don't know whether or not to tell your husband?
Tell him that you are actually getting your sex toys from Lovehoney and he'll be no wiser.
:cool:
Lol for 2 I have been divorced for yrs and 2 I am single and staying that way

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
To lie, you must have a good memory , so you can remember what you said.

liars never prosper.

Better to tell the truth.

S

Saphire

I don't like liars, and I don't lie myself, once I find someone out to be a liar I cant trust them.....and that's not a good sign for any relationship.

We all tell white lies, 'Father Christmas exists' for eg, but when it comes to the real life stuff....either say nothing or tell the truth.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
People have their reasons for lying. Maybe it's because they're protecting someone from being hurt if the truth comes out, or maybe you compliment someone with the intention of cheering someone who's down, even if you don't mean it.
After all, no one is 100% honest in life. Anyone who tells you they are, are lying, and doing so to feed their own ego. So i think It's important to have some humility about it.

S

Saphire

People have their reasons for lying. Maybe it's because they're protecting someone from being hurt if the truth comes out, or maybe you compliment someone with the intention of cheering someone who's down, even if you don't mean it.
After all, no one is 100% honest in life. Anyone who tells you they are, are lying, and doing so to feed their own ego. So i think It's important to have some humility about it.
You may lie, either for the reasons you give, or for other reasons, but that doesn't mean everyone lies.
I don't have to feed my ego...and I don't lie either.
If you think you have to lie to prevent a hurt, or to cheer someone up, I think you are going about things in the wrong way.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
women have long memories. make a mistake and 20 years later it will be brought up if you have an argument ...
Only 20 years you think ? Women have memories which stretch back a lot further than that ! They never lose their memories in fact :)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
You may lie, either for the reasons you give, or for other reasons, but that doesn't mean everyone lies.
I don't have to feed my ego...and I don't lie either.
If you think you have to lie to prevent a hurt, or to cheer someone up, I think you are going about things in the wrong way.
Yes . Much better to tell your 10 year old that the injection they`r going to have is agonising and their arm will ache like mad for weeks ,than to lie and say "you won`t feel a thing " eh :)

S

Saphire

Yes . Much better to tell your 10 year old that the injection they`r going to have is agonising and their arm will ache like mad for weeks ,than to lie and say "you won`t feel a thing " eh :)
Lol....better to say it'll be over in a couple of seconds and then we can go for a pizza..;)

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
C

CrazyCatLady

You're questioning your own moral compass and getting validation from strangers as to whether it's okay to lie or not.
That should be your bigger concern.

Storm

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
You're questioning your own moral compass and getting validation from strangers as to whether it's okay to lie or not.
That should be your bigger concern.
No your wrong I am single was just wondering what others think

C

CrazyCatLady

No your wrong I am single was just wondering what others think
I never once mentioned relationships nor asked whether you were single or not. How on earth did you relate my comment to your relationship status?
I'll rephrase in words that you have the capacity to understand:
If you are asking a bunch of strangers on the internet (who don't use their real names) their opinion on whether it's okay to lie or not, perhaps the question should be why do you need to ask? Furthermore, what kind of answers did you expect?
Of course, everyone's going to claim they don't lie and they don't think it's okay to lie. No one wants to be seen as accepting deception as part of themselves. No one wants to be seen as a liar.
But of course they are. Look to your left- no one is using their real name.

Everyone lies- including the whiter than white than claim they don't.
"Sorry, can't today- I'm busy", "Wow! You're never 50!" "What a gorgeous little baby! You must be so proud" "They were the tastiest brussels, I've ever regurgitated!"
And the most common one:
"I'm fine."

Humans lie for a multiple of reasons- to make others feel better, to avoid controversy and confrontation, to avoid showing their own hurt feelings, to deceive and manipulate. And is it okay?
Yes. It's human nature.

Back