Irrational fears

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
When i'm cooking fried eggs and cracking the eggs open, I sometimes fear a chick is going to pop out, stupid I know... :rolleyes:
Any irrational fears? feel free to share...

PennyDreadful2

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I used to have a fear of knobbly looking trees, that had shed all their leaves. There is a small park where we live locally, it used to terrify me walking through the park as a child. The trees were really scary looking.

C

CrazyCatLady

Slopes and hills. I feel as if I'm going to uncontrollably roll down them. Walking down, I have to keep my eyes focused on the ground; walking up, I have to keep looking at the sky. Ironic seeing as I grew up in an English valley, surrounded by hills and now live near some of steepest hills in Wales.

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
being on big ships, having this irrational fear of falling overboard and not being able to touch the bottom of the sea, although not having any fear of the ship sinking where id end up in the water anyway

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I am tall (6 foot 3) and when my feet hang out the end of my bed (this has been a problem my entire adult life, short people you don't know how good you have it) I have an irrational fear that something is gonna grab them with their hands....I find it really bothers me so much until I have to curl my legs up so my feet go under the duvet lol
Ooooo tall

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
The sky is going to fall down. I even ran around telling everyone, it really is going to fall down, the hinges have come off. No one believed me though. LOART's fear is also mine.. the cracking of an egg and Henny Penny falls out, chirpin in the frying pan.

Have a few eggs now that have been in fridge more than a week and wander if open fridge, they gonna fly out, yerss even against all odds, the freezing weather, they on the on the top shelf and had plenty time to practice flight so is reasonable to think it possible

C

CrazyCatLady

The sky is going to fall down. I even ran around telling everyone, it really is going to fall down, the hinges have come off. No one believed me though. LOART's fear is also mine.. the cracking of an egg and Henny Penny falls out, chirpin in the frying pan.

Have a few eggs now that have been in fridge more than a week and wander if open fridge, they gonna fly out, yerss even against all odds, the freezing weather, they on the on the top shelf and had plenty time to practice flight so is reasonable to think it possible
Whatever you're on, do they sell it by the pound and where can I get it?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Being right.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Whenever i'm walking past cars that are half parked on the pavement I always think i'm going to set its alarm off... I may have a weight problem
but not such that the mere clatter of my heels on the pavement would trigger the car's sensors! But still I think... don't go off, don't go off! :rolleyes:

TheBabayaga

Reaction score
when seeing a woman you like , trying to walk in the most charismatic way possible, and banging face straight into a lampost..no cant use that one, it actually happened.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
when seeing a woman you like , trying to walk in the most charismatic way possible, and banging face straight into a lampost..no cant use that one, it actually happened.

One winter, when I was about 16 I had one of those coats with the big fur lined hood.
They were great, could zip them right up so you could just see out of them, with your head down they completely protected you from the snow and wind.

Well I say they were great, I actually apologise to a lamp post after I walked into.
It was dark, I know, I'm an idiot ;)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Whenever I'm stopped at a temporary traffic light, and if i'm first in the queue, I always fear that they're stuck on red and that they won't change. This happened to me yesterday. I was stopped at the red light, they were on a 4-way phase and it was taking ages to go green, and I mean ages... Cars behind were even beeping, wanting me to go through the red light. It's easy to follow a stream of cars going through on red, not so to be the first one. I ignored the honking of horns... eventually the lights changed. But that's yet another one to add to my ever growing list of neuroses. I may end up one day a total basket case. :eek:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Whenever I'm stopped at a temporary traffic light, and if i'm first in the queue, I always fear that they're stuck on red and that they won't change. This happened to me yesterday. I was stopped at the red light, they were on a 4-way phase and it was taking ages to go green, and I mean ages... Cars behind were even beeping, wanting me to go through the red light. It's easy to follow a stream of cars going through on red, not so to be the first one. I ignored the honking of horns... eventually the lights changed. But that's yet another one to add to my ever growing list of neuroses. I may end up one day a total basket case. :eek:
Hint, flash your headlights at a seconds interval or close to it.
Temporary traffic light are programmed to think that flashing lights are an emergency vehicle and will change quicker.
Always worked for me in the past.

TheBabayaga

Reaction score
Hint, flash your headlights at a seconds interval or close to it.
Temporary traffic light are programmed to think that flashing lights are an emergency vehicle and will change quicker.
Always worked for me in the past.
oR better still just go through red lights and say it was an emergency, eastenders was about to start. No that probably wouldn't work would it. Maybe emmerdale, yerss Emmerdale.More people watch that.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I visited mother on the train the other day. It's a long story why I didn't go by car which I won't bore you with, and it was one of those old regional trains. When it arrived at her stop, I was the only one getting off, and no one else was getting on. it was one of those trains where you have to press the button for the door to open, and yes, the old fear returned... what if it doesn't open? i'd be stood standing there like an idiot... But of course, the door opened... :rolleyes:
I didn't come out of the womb with all these hang-ups/fears. My school days and my 'unconventional' home life made me the wacko that I am today. :eek: If it hadn't happened years ago i'd swear i'm losing my mind. :)

TheBabayaga

Reaction score
I visited mother on the train the other day. It's a long story why I didn't go by car which I won't bore you with, and it was one of those old regional trains. When it arrived at her stop, I was the only one getting off, and no one else was getting on. it was one of those trains where you have to press the button for the door to open, and yes, the old fear returned... what if it doesn't open? i'd be stood standing there like an idiot... But of course, the door opened... :rolleyes:
I didn't come out of the womb with all these hang-ups/fears. My school days and my 'unconventional' home life made me the wacko that I am today. :eek: If it hadn't happened years ago i'd swear i'm losing my mind. :)
fears I think I there to help. Keeps you on your toes and more alert of possible incoming danger. Nothing wrong with a little bit of fear.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I was in Asda early this morning and bumped into an old acquaintance whom I hadn't seen for years. We stopped and chatted for a good while, then went our ways. In the next aisle, our paths crossed again. I just didn't know what the correct etiquette was... Do I stop and chat again... just nod.. or ignore them? I ended up just smiling and carried on, but then the old neurosis kicked in... what do I do if we meet in the next aisle? An irrational fear made me go in a different direction, straight to the Deli counter, then to the check-out. Silly, I know... :(

Back