how many languages can you speak

Reaction score
One at the moment, like to learn Cornish but I think its best to start learning when I know I'll remember it, probably come in handy when translating Cornish placenames. We Cornish went to war over our language only for it to be banned anyway, then we get told that we can use it officially again nearly 500 years later, I feel I should just learn it out of gratitude. Of course variations of the Cornish language story vary widely, well, not really, theres just two stories with one being constantly added to. I'm slightly worried though, according to some its impossible to know more than one language as officially my language became extinct when the last native speaker died, although some people claim its never died out. It appears knowing two languages may be impossible. The Cornish written language is different again because I believe that the first form of written language in Cornwall was Latin, but I suppose if you read Latin then it doesn't come out as Cornish which might be why we need a Cornish language. Cornish stuff is just so confusing. And annoying.
Of course anyone wanting to check the facts just needs to visit the Duchy of Cornwall archives with a reference number as the archives have been shut for renovation for a couple of decades now. And oh look, I ranted, oops.

Last edited:

TheDalaiDrama

Scum of the Earth!
Reaction score
I speak Russian and English fluently and Spanish not as well.

Reaction score
I'm more interested in dialect rather than language, such as Anglo-Cornish, its what my grandparents spoke. I've never really spoke it as it was never taught at school and using it resulted in punishment. Wish I remembered some words now, just for nostalgia's sake.

Elea

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I speak just one language, but I'm gradually teaching myself Latin and ancient Greek. I love the ancient Greek philosophers. I wanted to read their original words.

Last edited:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I can get through to folks when i visit Europe - Germany, France etc...Basic stuff.

I can never understand a pure Welsh person...That language is incredibly hard to get a grip of.

I do love it though and i wish there were more PURE welsh spoken people on TV.

(I'm not Welsh BTW..;)) I love to hear it though..:)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I'm more interested in dialect rather than language, such as Anglo-Cornish, its what my grandparents spoke. I've never really spoke it as it was never taught at school and using it resulted in punishment. Wish I remembered some words now, just for nostalgia's sake.

Awful that you were never taught it and it was a fucking punishment for using it????WTF...That's so wrong.!

T

tony1950

how many languages can you speak?
I can only speak one language and that's English the rest I leave to google translater which gets my by...mind you I speak with a broad yorks accent which I aint gonna change for no feker ….take care you guys

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Tony...So Thee Speak the lingo dus tha lad?.. What part of Yorks are thi from t'old lad?:)

T

tony1950

from west yorks and all that thee n thou stuff has just about gone from round here....

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
from west yorks and all that thee n thou stuff has just about gone from round here....

Bluddy shame to hear that ar lad...! Keep strong and never let the bastards grind ye down. X;)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
For my little Friend from Wales..'Brakewake_';):)

Back