Hate Crime

bellofthedesert

Staff member
Reaction score
In 25 years a whole new set of young people will be harshly criticizing the current young people ect...over real or imagined affronts.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have just finished reading an article in the Daily Mail (don't hate me!) about a pub landlady who had a collection of Gollywogs on display. I apologise if this word offends anyone, but there is no other word for it. Apparently complaints were made, and a group of Police came into the pub and removed them. They considered it to be a hate crime.
The Landlady has received a lot of support, the Home Secretary Suella Braaverman has condemmed the actions of the Police. The Landlady has returned the items to the pub, they are back on display.
I am genuinely interested in hearing people's thoughts, on this subject. Do you consider it to be a hate crime, or is it another example of political correctness gone mad? This is meant to be an inclusive topic, for everyone to have their say.
Sounds more like abuse of power to me by the Police, who are supposed to be neutral on these matters, yet took an obvious political stance or side.
This was the right course of action as these items were her property, featured on her property. If people do not like or are offended by her display, then simply don't enter the premise and drink elsewhere.

I think Ricky Gervais said it perfectly: "You have the right to offend and be offended. But you don't have the right to never be offended."

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
In 25 years a whole new set of young people will be harshly criticizing the current young people ect...over real or imagined affronts.
Indeed. The cycle will continue where the next generation are offended and want to cancel or change the current generation's history and culture.
Everyone is susceptible of finding something offensive, but instead of just moving on with their lives, some people seem to take on this authoritarian role of being judge, jury, and executioner, and arrogantly believe they're speaking on behalf of other people who they think will be offended by what they're offended of.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Thats why we are seeing a surge in many young people toward conservatism.
They realise that the current generation lacks creativity, self awareness and confidence.
They dont see themselves as a "Victim".

Instead they see the wisdom that thay can actually make change if they work hard, get smart and invent.

I think Konstantine Kisins Oxford spech sums it up quite well.

Konstantin Kisin: Woke Culture HAS Gone Too Far - 7/8 | Oxford Union

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The pub that was displaying all those golliwogs has now closed down. Suppliers had boycotted the place. A drinking establishment without beer... it could only go one way.

Kev45

A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
Reaction score
"If it offends you, then don't go in the pub".

I 100% agree and well, it did offend, didn't it, and which is why PRIVATELY owned Carlsberg and Heineken withdrew their products from sale. The PRIVATELY owned maintenance company withdrew their labour and PRIVATELY owned Camra (Campaign for Real Ales) said it would not include the pub in its Good Beer Guide “while these discriminatory dolls continue to be on display”.

I guess that's what happens, the consequences, when overtly racist pub landlords display racist caricatures of minstrel dolls.

For anyone who did get offended about other people being offended, the ones who constantly rabbit on about how offence is taken, and not given, the ones who keep telling everyone else what they are allowed to be offended by or not, they could of course boycott Carlsberg and Heineken products in future.

That's exactly how democracy, in a consumer led capitalist economy, works, isn't it?

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

I 100% agree and well, it did offend, didn't it, and which is why PRIVATELY owned Carlsberg and Heineken withdrew their products from sale. The PRIVATELY owned maintenance company withdrew their labour and PRIVATELY owned Camra (Campaign for Real Ales) said it would not include the pub in its Good Beer Guide “while these discriminatory dolls continue to be on display”.

I guess that's what happens, the consequences, when overtly racist pub landlords display racist caricatures of minstrel dolls.

For anyone who did get offended about other people being offended, the ones who constantly rabbit on about how offence is taken, and not given, the ones who keep telling everyone else what they are allowed to be offended by or not, they could of course boycott Carlsberg and Heineken products in future.

That's exactly how democracy, in a consumer led capitalist economy, works, isn't it?
hand clap.gif

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Actually no.
The pub still had many patrons, but the breweries pulled out.
It has nothing to do with the actual people who went to the pub, but the fact that their suppliers got bent out of shape.
Thats the problem.
The Pub was viable, but the suppliers feared backlash.

Back