• 9. David Tennant

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 10. Matt Smith

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

PennyDreadful2

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Doctor Who, since John Pertwee played him. Anyone who is aware of the history of the show, will remember it's decline and eventual cancellation back in 1989. I trully believe that history is repeating itself with the last two incarnations of the character (I am including the latest recruit). And before anyone mentions the R word, I would like to point out that Jo Martin an actress of colour, did a marvelous job of playing the Doctor. She would have made an excellent full time Doctor.
What has really killed the show, for me is the dreadful writing and casting. Not even David Tenant, Catherine Tate and Russel T Davies combined, can save the show now.

I have created a poll to give everyone the opportunity of voting for their favourite Doctor. Unfortunately there was a limited amount of choices I could include. I would have liked to include Paul McGann in the list. If your choice isn't in the poll, maybe you could mention them in a post.

Last edited:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Great thread! I started watching during the Tom Baker era, and I gave him my vote in the poll. Though on reflection, I should have voted for David Tennant because he was brilliant as the doctor, and it was when he left the show, that a slow decline set in. I stopped watching shortly after Jodie Whittaker took over. She was ok as a the doctor, I particularly liked the Yorkshire accent. But I just didn't care for the 'political correctness' stories.
When I heard John Bishop had joined the show, I tuned in again. The very first episode, he just happens to work in a food bank... :rolleyes:
I watched the show for a bit of escapism - not to be preached at.

S

Saphire

Thank you PennyDreadful for a thread that provides a bit of escapism too...we need it.:cool:

I have voted, but I feel a bit of a cheat because I am not really a Dr Who fan.
I do however love Christopher Eccleston ( he was born in the same area as me in Salford) I know he had possibly the shortest stint as the Dr....so maybe I am just biased.

Like Lady said, any entertainment show that tries hard to bang home a politically correct message (Corrie is a good example) tends to grate a bit.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
John Pertwee.

Age 6 I hid behind the sofa.. Daleks and giant maggots scared the hell out of me.

When I was 7 we had the Thunderbirds and the persuaders.

It was a great learning curve.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I saw it right from the very first episode, with William Hartnell. My younger brother always hid behind the settee when it started as he didn't like the 'skeleton' at the beginning. Tom Baker and Louise Jamieson were the best combination (in my opinion).

doonhamer3

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Been watching it since the beginning. As to a favourite, Probably Jon Pertwee, but liked them all as the personality changed. Not like just a new actor trying to play the same part. Being from Glasgow I'm a wee bit biased towards Peter Capaldi. As for The Master, there has only been one, Roger Delgado. Not sure I like the way it's going these days, all of a sudden The Doctor had a whole new history and no idea of his/her background. I like Jodi Whittaker as an actor but a female Doctor. As for the next regeneration I'll wait and see.

Cirdan

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Just started re-watching all the David Tennant ones. Really good. I love Tom Baker in it, too. My era!

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I liked Baker and Pertwee, but the show went downhill with most of the later doctors and i stopped watching
Funny quote from a Pertwee episode-
BRIGADIER- "Do you have visual contact yet Doctor?"
PERTWEE- "If you mean can I see it, the answer is yes"

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Incidentally the show became a pol-correct propaganda piece later on, for example when Matt Smith said some of America's founding fathers were homosexuals-

Script extract from Series 6: 'The Impossible Astronaut' 2011-
Doctor: "Jefferson isn’t a girl’s name. It’s not her name either. Jefferson Adams Hamilton"
River: "Surnames of three of America’s Founding Fathers."
Doctor: "Lovely fellas. Two of them fancied me."

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Ref the above Doctor quote - see below.

A letter from Alexander Hamilton, Founding Father, American military officer, and statesman, who served as the first Secretary of Treasury from 1789 to 1795, to statesman and Lieutenant Colonel John Laurens, (April 1779)

link to the National Archives copy of this letter - founders.archives.gov/documents/Hamilton/01-02-02-0100

quote - '' To Lieutenant Colonel John Laurens from Alexander Hamilton

[Middlebrook, New Jersey, April, 1779]
Cold in my professions, warm in ⟨my⟩ friendships, I wish, my Dear Laurens, it m⟨ight⟩ be in my power, by action rather than words, ⟨to⟩ convince you that I love you. I shall only tell you that ’till you bade us Adieu, I hardly knew the value you had taught my heart to set upon you. Indeed, my friend, it was not well done. You know the opinion I entertain of mankind, and how much it is my desire to preserve myself free from particular attachments, and to keep my happiness independent on the caprice of others. You sh⟨ould⟩ not have taken advantage of my sensibility to ste⟨al⟩ into my affections without my consent. But as you have done it and as we are generally indulgent to those we love, I shall not scruple to pardon the fraud you have committed, on condition that for my sake, if not for your own, you will always continue to merit the partiality, which you have so artfully instilled into ⟨me⟩.

continued here

link to the National Archives copy of this letter - founders.archives.gov/documents/Hamilton/01-02-02-0100

According to some historians Hamilton could also be one of the most influential gay men in American history.

He shared a close relationship with statesman John Laurens, while both were soldiers during the revolutionary war.

At the time of the letters, sodomy was still a crime in all of the colonies.

Laurens was killed in battle in 1782, while Hamilton was shot dead by Vice President Aaron Burr in a duel in 1804.

Last edited:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Really, Doctor Who was always crap.
The only time I got slightly interested in it was when Billie Piper was in it.
For all the wrong reasons.
She was much better in Secret Diary of a Call Girl :)

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Really, Doctor Who was always crap.
The only time I got slightly interested in it was when Billie Piper was in it.
For all the wrong reasons.
She was much better in Secret Diary of a Call Girl :)

The show was entertaining enough when I was a kid, but when I began getting older I found it too childish and stopped watching.
Even now it's still aimed at kids, it never grew up..:)

doonhamer3

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
out and out fantasy, watched just about all of it...........................saddo?...................................don't care

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I think my favourite Beeb sci-fi show was 'Blakes 7', but they pulled the plug on the series, probably so they could spend more cash on Dr. Who and insert their pol-correct lefty propaganda into the scripts.
Another of my favourite series was 'Stargate Universe' which was sadly never aired on Brit TV, it was a Canadian-produced show and was intelligently scripted for adults, I've got the boxed set, it's head and shoulders above all the other shows in the Stargate franchise.
The two main characters Colonel Young (Louis Ferreira) and Dr. Rush (Robert Carlisle) hate each others guts and are always arguing-

Last edited:
Back