• 9. David Tennant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10. Matt Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PennyDreadful2

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Doctor Who, since John Pertwee played him. Anyone who is aware of the history of the show, will remember it's decline and eventual cancellation back in 1989. I trully believe that history is repeating itself with the last two incarnations of the character (I am including the latest recruit). And before anyone mentions the R word, I would like to point out that Jo Martin an actress of colour, did a marvelous job of playing the Doctor. She would have made an excellent full time Doctor.
What has really killed the show, for me is the dreadful writing and casting. Not even David Tenant, Catherine Tate and Russel T Davies combined, can save the show now.

I have created a poll to give everyone the opportunity of voting for their favourite Doctor. Unfortunately there was a limited amount of choices I could include. I would have liked to include Paul McGann in the list. If your choice isn't in the poll, maybe you could mention them in a post.

Last edited:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Great thread! I started watching during the Tom Baker era, and I gave him my vote in the poll. Though on reflection, I should have voted for David Tennant because he was brilliant as the doctor, and it was when he left the show, that a slow decline set in. I stopped watching shortly after Jodie Whittaker took over. She was ok as a the doctor, I particularly liked the Yorkshire accent. But I just didn't care for the 'political correctness' stories.
When I heard John Bishop had joined the show, I tuned in again. The very first episode, he just happens to work in a food bank... :rolleyes:
I watched the show for a bit of escapism - not to be preached at.

Saphire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Thank you PennyDreadful for a thread that provides a bit of escapism too...we need it.:cool:

I have voted, but I feel a bit of a cheat because I am not really a Dr Who fan.
I do however love Christopher Eccleston ( he was born in the same area as me in Salford) I know he had possibly the shortest stint as the Dr....so maybe I am just biased.

Like Lady said, any entertainment show that tries hard to bang home a politically correct message (Corrie is a good example) tends to grate a bit.

Bad_Influence

Still here.
Reaction score
it’s a tough call between Matt Smitt and David Tennant for me, both had excellent, on-going storylines and companions.
I gave Jodie Whittaker a chance, (although to cast as woman as the Dr was wrong in my opinion) because she has been a good actress in other programmes I’ve seen, but the quality of the storylines really let her down badly. Then the BBC Wokeness really kicked in hard, an Asian girl, a black lad, and an older guy as companions??? Even if they were given the roles on merit ( they obviously weren’t but let’s pretend) it showed the Beeb for what it is, a box-ticking, preaching, self-aggrandising, broken company. Ffs, they even brought in a Scouse comedian who can’t act and hinted at the Dr being a lesbian to seal the deal.

Now what do they do? Give the job to a trans actor… whose only qualifications are he’s not sure what gender ‘she’ is. I know they won’t be bothered when it fails, they will just blame the viewers (or lack of). I for one am finally done with what was once a great show.

Last edited:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
John Pertwee.

Age 6 I hid behind the sofa.. Daleks and giant maggots scared the hell out of me.

When I was 7 we had the Thunderbirds and the persuaders.

It was a great learning curve.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score

ladymuck

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I saw it right from the very first episode, with William Hartnell. My younger brother always hid behind the settee when it started as he didn't like the 'skeleton' at the beginning. Tom Baker and Louise Jamieson were the best combination (in my opinion).