An unemployed spoon bender

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Man stubbornly refusing to try any of the fifteen other settings on washing machine

filthy washing mashine.jpg

A man who has used the same setting to do all his washing has today confirmed that he won’t be trying any of the other weird and wonderful settings any time soon.

Kris Mowrun, an unemployed spoon bender, has had his washing machine for five years and uses the ‘Quick Wash’ function at 40 degrees, regardless of what he is washing.

“I’ve only ever used that one because it is done in thirty to forty minutes,” he told us.

“Why would I want a washing cycle that lasts an hour and half or more, it doesn’t make any sense.”

He explained, “The quick wash works for everything; t-shirts, jeans, bedsheets, cushions and football boots, and they always come out looking great.

“I even dropped my hamster in there once and he came out a lot cleaner, if not a little dizzy.”

Altur Nobody, a spokesperson for washing machine manufacturer Bosh! told us, “Yes, this is unfortunately quite a common issue, and it is very frustrating for us. Not the hamster incident, that’s just bizarre; I mean using only one setting.

“We spend millions of pounds every year developing each model of washing machine to provide the widest range of options for our customers and most end up using just one, or maybe two of the cycles at a push.”

He concluded, “It’s true that our control panels can sometimes be a bewildering display of numbers and phrases that no-one really understands, but I lay the blame with clothing manufacturers who expect people to somehow comprehend all those weird hieroglyphics on the washing instructions.”

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Same here, I only ever use the 'Daily 59 min wash' Does anyone still use soap POWDER? when they started reducing the water intake I found the powder wasn't dissolving completely had to switch to liquid.
The same goes for most things. The microwave has speed defrost. power setting, auto weight cook etc. I only ever use the auto minute button.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I use liquid and have been doing so for a long time, as I also noticed that it wasn't dissolving completely.

Tabs are the worst choice in my opinion, as they cannot be dosed - one for all and concentrated.

I recall watching an advert on TV a couple of months ago, about some new dishwasher tabs (think they were Fairy Liquid ones).

Promoting the product, claiming that by using said tabs we'd be saving rain forests.

The message was. less water and more tabs.

What about the impact of said chemicals on the environment ?

They don't tell you what that causes, do they.

Sadly the masses believe what they are being told on TV and by the media in general.
I love you satirical view of Washing detergent. Impact of said chemicals on the environment.

Oh dear....What are we to do now?.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Hardly satirical - it's true :(

There's a choice when it comes to detergents as with everything else.

Try using lemon juice and bicarbonate of soda to wash your dishes, if you really want to do the environment a favour.
Listen fella...I'm not here to talk about how to clean my clothes or what detergent to use...i was just passing time.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I was merely replying to your post - If you don't want replies to your posts (whatever sort they may be) , perhaps you shouldn't even be posting on a public forum :)
No you weren't...Perhaps I have better things to do.

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
well this has taught me the benefits of looking at the water intake of a washing machine before i buy one, i just bought a cheap sh** one that takes about 4 hours to do a white wash and also leaves soap behind in the tray.............i suppose you get what you pay for and will teach me not to be a tight bastard when it comes to white goods. I also never believe any product that claims to give a sh** about the environment and my cynicism from that may come from me not really giving a sh** about the environment either which leads me to mistrust any company claiming they do.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
There's no life without water - It's a simple as that.
Toxic chemicals pollute water, soil, air and food, reason for which we should all try to limit these substances in our everyday life.

Companies make these products, but who buys them?
We do, as humans.

It's basically about demand and supply.
If we stopped buying their products, companies/industries would stop making them.

I'm not saying I don't use them, but I do limit the use of chemicals to a minimum.
There are people out there who use bottles of bleach daily, besides lots of other chemical products.

Just think of all those toilet products on the market that end up down the drain ... litres and litres of the stuff.

Now that is really shocking .

Think of the future of your children or grandchildren (if you have any).
Most if not all the chemicals we use are NATURAL... The Earth has produced these chemicals for a long time and will continue when we are gone.

We might mix up a few things but in the long term...we are doing nothing compared to what nature can do.

Stop worrying about it and get on with your life.

Ben

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Lol @ hamster

Lol @ weird hieroglyphics

Tbh he's sort of right - I only ever use 3 or maybe 4 cycles - I wash any wool garments by hand .

The problem with washing machines nowadays is that they have been built to draw in a very small amount of water, compared to ones built a couple of decades ago (if not more).

The older models drew in about 100 litres of water for each wash and rinse if I recall correctly.

Nowadays on average they draw in 31 litres - The problem with these machines is that they don't rinse properly.

You can find the odd machine that draws in up to 45 litres - That is the most you can expect as far as I know and they are usually middle or top end ones.

I have a 15 minute cycle which washes at 30°c, which I use for delicate fabrics such as silk, some synthetics, lightweight cotton.

If I were to use the longer cycle, said fabrics would end up in shreds.

My machine is Bosch series 6 about 5 yrs old (If I remember correctly) and up to this day hasn't given me any problems.

It's the best machine I've had so far.
That's why I often top up the water on the machine a bit when its starts to fill with a few jugs of water and pour it into the draw to follow the water intake down.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Tell me about water pollution and what causes it...and even contamination in some parts of the world.

By nature?

I think not.

Actually , I know not.
Absolutely...Acid Rain....For instance...

Did it come from Mars?...Or the Moon?

The Earth has been polluted for millions of years.

Not by US.

But by interstllar collisions that we can't see.

Acid Rain comes from our SUN.

Something we will in time have to get used to.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
As long as you don't add too much water, because those machines are built to hold a certain amount of weight (between laundry and water).
If you surpass this weight by adding water, sooner or later something will break, within the machine..
I could use someone like you around my place.

Save the Gay part.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
You never know these days.

I AM NOT GAY.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Haha, shame.

As for my chat and music ... luckily I still have a bit of grey matter left upstairs, just a tiny bit though ...and I have a heart, too :)
You say that....But do you actually mean it?...How can on tell over text on a screen?...It's almost impossible.!

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Deviousness?

I am anything but devious (depending on what you mean by that).

Sneaky springs to mind - I am anything but sneaky.
OK...;)

What about playing a Musical instrument/...

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I learnt a bit of piano till I was about 12.

I've thought of going back to it for yrs, but then life interfered with my plans.

I tried guitar as a late teen but my fingers didn't want to know (and they still don't, not sure I'd be any good on a piano anymore, either).
Good reply. I like you.

I can do Guitar...But i'm more of a Drummer.

Keyboards with ME are love hate thing...Depends on the Synth we have at the time.

I'm more of a time keeper.

Can you sing? Oh i bet you can...;) X

Back