Anti-Russian hysteria

Dolores

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
That's right yes, i think the area of eastern ukraine was once known as the dziem polka (sp.?) or wild fields? That was a wild place of free movement. Ukraine means "borderland" so that says a lot about cultural fluidity in the area.
Russia has its origins from Kievska Rus and Russia has always consider these lands as it's own.
Same as Serbia regarding Kosovo.
And having a mom from a country behind the Iron curtain, I know for sure there are people who still miss USSR, communism and even the Cold war, and studying Russian in school was mandatory!
All ex-Yugoslavian republics speak Serbian and all ex-soviet republics speak Russian.
It was something you cannot avoid .

M

MrCatSpit

Russia has its origins from Kievska Rus and Russia has always consider these lands as it's own.
Same as Serbia regarding Kosovo.
And having a mom from a country behind the Iron curtain, I know for sure there are people who still miss USSR, communism and even the Cold war, and studying Russian in school was mandatory!
All ex-Yugoslavian republics speak Serbian and all ex-soviet republics speak Russian.
It was something you cannot avoid .

Kievan Rus and Muscovy were different entities, l don't know the exact relation between them, but Muscovy became what we today call "Russia". There were several Russias, like Kievan Rus, Little Russia, White Russia (apparently Belarus is a misnomer, White Russia was further north originally), Muscovy and now New Russia. Maybe Kievan Rus held the patent for a while :p

There was always a big deal about Muscovy using and then betraying the Ukrainian cossacks. Then many other things happened. Ukraine was traditionally Turkic lands by the way. Way before the Golden Horde that area was the Kipchak steppe plus various other Turkic tribes roamed there. So, it always had a different character to Muscovy. I'm not being political.

Dolores

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Kievan Rus and Muscovy were different entities, l don't know the exact relation between them, but Muscovy became what we today call "Russia". There were several Russias, like Kievan Rus, Little Russia, White Russia (apparently Belarus is a misnomer, White Russia was further north originally), Muscovy and now New Russia. Maybe Kievan Rus held the patent for a while :p

There was always a big deal about Muscovy using and then betraying the Ukrainian cossacks. Then many other things happened. Ukraine was traditionally Turkic lands by the way. Way before the Golden Horde that area was the Kipchak steppe plus various other Turkic tribes roamed there. So, it always had a different character to Muscovy. I'm not being political.
Back in those days, many different tribes had concurred many different lands :)
But the the Muscovy Rus was not on the map until the 12th century, I think, just when Kievan Rus had been concurred by the Mongolians until the 16th century, when it is already part of the Russian Tsardom.

Anyway I'm not that good with medieval Russian History, but there is a lot historical propaganda an nostalgia in that matter.

Back