Drink culture

BizarreBabe

The Biz!
Reaction score
Britain is known for its terrible drink culture. Why do we think that is? How do we improve things?

Sausages

Sausages
Reaction score
Britain is known for its terrible drink culture. Why do we think that is? How do we improve things?
i've been going in pubs for quite some time now and at the moment i look forward to my weekly trip to town to do some banking and get some wild bird food for the birds that visit my garden, after which i drop into wetherspoons a real dive of a place and while i sit there reading my paper i see many scruffy yobs walk in and they all seem to have walking aids such as zimmer frames and walking sticks but i notice after these people have had 9 or 10 pints their cured and no longer need the walking sticks etc. so i think all is well for the time being but the Department of work and pensions should look into getting these fraudsters tagged and back into work.

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
I had never heard that said until I moved here, and to be honest, I don't think that it applies. Americans drink a lot. But, it is very difficult to drink in public as there are some strict codes and laws that prevent them from doing so. People tend to frown on others who in a bar or drinking establishment, get anebriated to a point of falling down or swearing loudly and making a general nuisance of themselves. Also if you are caught driving drunk, that is a serious offense. You go to jail. You will lose your driving license. Your car is impounded. You lose your insurance and you must go to a driver training school that costs thousands of dollars. Then you get special insurance that you must carry for three years that costs thousands of dollars a month. You can lose your job because you have no transportation. Depending on what state you live in, it could get much worse. So most common sensical people get a few bottles or 18 packs of beer and just have a small party at home. The other attendees bring sleeping bags and other things and make a night of it. So I wouldn't put the drinking culture onus on just yourself. It is easy to see what's in front of you, not so much what's not.

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I used to live in a bedsit, when i was 19, and one of the housemates, used to drink 20 cans of cider a day.
Im not joking, there was no room, in the fridge, had to keep my food in the sink everyday, was a total joke.
One minute, he was pulling a knife on me for putting milk in the fridge, then five minutes later, it was like could you go down the shop for me?
The demon drink.

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The council moved me out, and i got kicked out that place for leaving, a spoon in the sink!
The weird vegan types and me had, a set to when i came home drunk eating a kfc.
I think it was probaly more what i did on the friday night, rather than the spoon.
I dont drink, myself, well in moderation.
Well im off to booze buster well theres fridge space.
So sometimes i think, how many shared houses ive i been asked to leave from.
Where was i oh yes, its a full moon on haloween.

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
I had never heard that said until I moved here, and to be honest, I don't think that it applies. Americans drink a lot. But, it is very difficult to drink in public as there are some strict codes and laws that prevent them from doing so. People tend to frown on others who in a bar or drinking establishment, get anebriated to a point of falling down or swearing loudly and making a general nuisance of themselves. Also if you are caught driving drunk, that is a serious offense. You go to jail. You will lose your driving license. Your car is impounded. You lose your insurance and you must go to a driver training school that costs thousands of dollars. Then you get special insurance that you must carry for three years that costs thousands of dollars a month. You can lose your job because you have no transportation. Depending on what state you live in, it could get much worse. So most common sensical people get a few bottles or 18 packs of beer and just have a small party at home. The other attendees bring sleeping bags and other things and make a night of it. So I wouldn't put the drinking culture onus on just yourself. It is easy to see what's in front of you, not so much what's not.
You can also get ticket for public intoxication!

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Suck it through a Straw.

Lex51

Howdy ya'll
Reaction score
You can also get ticket for public intoxication!
That may be so in Florida but not in Georgia or South Carolina. Public drunkeness although a misdemeanor offense usually will end you up in jail. Mostly for your own protection.

Cogster

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
We are known for our bad drink culture because so many people go out, binge drink and get loud and often violent. Some people seem to have lost the art of having a good time without a drink or getting drunk. Could this be because it is what they have seen their parents do? Maybe it is now a culture thing that needs changing
I do not know the answer but I wonder if some drinking places are more concerned with just profit than the state of their customers. I have heard people saying that their local place is much nicer to visit at the moment, because covid means it not got loads of loud, rowdy people at the bar because everyone has to be at tables.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Alcohol so long as it is in moderation. My personal tipple is a nice Sauvignon Blanc. My daughter bought me a wine glass showing measures i.e. small glass, large glass and Mum's glass;) I always go for the small measure!!!:D But all in the comfort of my own home as you do not have to worry about coming in contact with people, you can smoke in the warmth and you don't have to worry about drink driving or whether you are able to get a taxi. The only thing you have to worry about is that are you able to get up those stairs to bed! I do miss, however, the grouping around the quiz machine and the occasional game of Pool.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
i've been going in pubs for quite some time now and at the moment i look forward to my weekly trip to town to do some banking and get some wild bird food for the birds that visit my garden, after which i drop into wetherspoons a real dive of a place and while i sit there reading my paper i see many scruffy yobs walk in and they all seem to have walking aids such as zimmer frames and walking sticks but i notice after these people have had 9 or 10 pints their cured and no longer need the walking sticks etc. so i think all is well for the time being but the Department of work and pensions should look into getting these fraudsters tagged and back into work.

In due course, I am going to recommend an online Basic English course for you so that you might, hopefully one day, construct a sentence with acceptable punctuation.
Or is it possible that your 'mitigating circumstances' are that you were under the influence when composing that drivel?
:rolleyes:

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Alcohol so long as it is in moderation. My personal tipple is a nice Sauvignon Blanc. My daughter bought me a wine glass showing measures i.e. small glass, large glass and Mum's glass;) I always go for the small measure!!!:D But all in the comfort of my own home as you do not have to worry about coming in contact with people, you can smoke in the warmth and you don't have to worry about drink driving or whether you are able to get a taxi. The only thing you have to worry about is that are you able to get up those stairs to bed! I do miss, however, the grouping around the quiz machine and the occasional game of Pool.

There will be no moderating of Alcohol here , do the Bottle in ;)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I must admit, with everyone sitting at tables, the pubs these days have a nicer ambience. You don't get the rowdy 'lager louts' frequenting the place and not as many unsavoury types standing outside the entrance puffing away on fags. btw why are all lagers beers but not all beers are lagers?
The weird vegan types and me had, a set to
How can you tell if someone's a vegan? you don't have to, they'll tell you. :rolleyes:

BizarreBabe

The Biz!
Reaction score
In due course, I am going to recommend an online Basic English course for you so that you might, hopefully one day, construct a sentence with acceptable punctuation.
Or is it possible that your 'mitigating circumstances' are that you were under the influence when composing that drivel?

Gobble chops, don't start trouble on my thread!

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The slaughtered lamb pub, in american werewolf in london.
What a pub that was eh.
Why is there a six pointed star on the wall?
Poor jack.
Ordering a cup of tea in a pub, as far as im concerned, he had it coming.
A very poor ambassador.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score

I don't think the British are terrible drinkers. In fact, I think they are very good at it, to be honest.
It's their handling of the 'demon drink' that they struggle with, however.
If only more people could be more sober-minded like me.

P.S. Are you playing chess, or something more complex?

Back