Unlocking.

T

Tandy

""Remember just with Brexit (a very small global issue) we stockpiled meds and food, we planned for years and argued to extreme, we feared for the future of our country.""

Who is this ;we;? We won, and again all will be well, despite the sad naysayers!

I define WE as the population inhabiting the collective countries of the UK (I think you knew what I meant), I’m not sure what you mean by “We won”? What do you mean? Brexit has not concluded even to this day so talking past tense is a little odd.

I was talking about the complexity, fragility and time dependency of supply chains, how the UK collectively feared for the future. The UK cannot provide its care staff with PPE and is rushing to fill the gap with imports, there are desperate calls from the health sector for PPE and increasingly those care providers voicing concerns of needless deaths due to our inadequacies. We have seen nations around the globe turning to nationalism in regards to equipment to fight the virus, what is going to happen when the food supply is treated in the same way.

You opened this thread stating the future was dismal, have you changed your mind? Do you think it’s now just a case of Dunkirk spirt and winning?

Look at it this way, the 2008 global recession was caused by an economic bubble imploding on sub-prime mortgages, to this day we are still paying for that with austerity only relaxing slightly, the social care sector in crisis, NHS in perpetual crisis, food banks increasing, child poverty increasing and so on and so on. How do you imagine our position to be financially right now with all we have seen in the past few months, for instance May’s oil price going to -$47 per barrel, how do you think that impacts everything else?

I would really like to hear some of your in depth ideas on all of the consequences we are seeing, how they disturb other segments of our global machine. Do you have any ideas or thoughts on these issues at all?

This is your thread so I would love to hear you open up and show me how everything is going to be ok without just saying it’s going to be ok.

T

Tandy

You fear too much. Our great nation has, in a sense, been here before. We survived. Not because of doomsters like you but because we did something about it.
We will probably, in time to come, treat Corona as we treat flu...as a bloody nuisance that requires a yearly jab.
Calm down dear, be patient. all will be well again, in time...until the next scare.

You have me all wrong. I do not live in fear and just sit in my home all worried, you do not know me and weirdly call me dear, shudders!

I have been quite productive during this time, my garden is full of growing food and thanks to the weather recently it’s well ahead of previous years. I predict a bumper harvest (enough for my friends and neighbours to dip into), I have deliveries of more soil, compost, manure, wood on the way. I have built hydroponics setup for micro greens and starting a polly-tunnel this week (my kids old trampoline upcycled). My cupboards are full of long duration foods, my spices draws look immense, fresh herbs growing everywhere. I could go on and on about my productivity but I expect you would just knock it, say its pointless etc but to be fair I love striving for self-sufficiency and have done so for over 10 years.

Now I don’t know you either, what sort of productivity have you been immersing yourself in or are your relying on “our great nation” to provide for you?

When do you expect this flu type annual vaccine to start deployment globally? (this is not the flu btw)

This is not just a scare either, it has been declared a global health emergency by the WHO, please try to put some effort into countering anything I’m saying, this is about debate after all, you opened a thread in the debate section!

Oh and don’t call me dear it’s just not normal in a debate.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
It is always interesting to hear/read the explanations given by unorthodox persons.
I shall sleep tonight trying not to think that you may be in your safe shelter, hiding from that which you are sure is coming, and believing that your long laid plans will support you through that which you believe is nigh.
sleep well.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Hello M’dearie…I thought I might give you the longer response you deserve, you being a bit of a worrier, notice I did not spell worrier as warrior, for you do rather come across as one, rather like all remainers in our Brexit struggles, with fears for the future.
Yes! I did say that our future might be dismal, which might require warriors rather than worriers, but see it rather as
challenging and you will get my drift.
Regarding your comments on our unpreparedness for Corona, well, so was the rest of the world and they do not all suffer our problem of overpopulation.
Your history of self sufficiency, water, long lasting foodstuffs canned food etc says much about you, though I cannot chide you on your gardening activity, it is something I have done, but for pleasure, not fear.
Finally, you ask me when there will be a vaccine available for Coronavirus…did you really expect an answer.
One will come, for we can do it…we can do it.

T

Tandy

Hello M’dearie…I thought I might give you the longer response you deserve, you being a bit of a worrier, notice I did not spell worrier as warrior, for you do rather come across as one, rather like all remainers in our Brexit struggles, with fears for the future.
Yes! I did say that our future might be dismal, which might require warriors rather than worriers, but see it rather as
challenging and you will get my drift.
Regarding your comments on our unpreparedness for Corona, well, so was the rest of the world and they do not all suffer our problem of overpopulation.
Your history of self sufficiency, water, long lasting foodstuffs canned food etc says much about you, though I cannot chide you on your gardening activity, it is something I have done, but for pleasure, not fear.
Finally, you ask me when there will be a vaccine available for Coronavirus…did you really expect an answer.
One will come, for we can do it…we can do it.

Good work, thanks for the effort :)

Correct I am not a warrior type, maybe in my youth (I served for a few years) but definitely not now, wild horses could not drag me to fight for anyone other than myself or loved ones.

I voted for Brexit, the only time in my 50 years that I have bothered to vote. I won’t bother again it is a waste of time, the powerful will never relent their power (decentralised decision making is impossible) and the masses are sheep. Follow the leader while the leader is fcuking everything for personal gain, it’s just nature.

You get me wrong regarding the gardening I have always done it for pleasure. I used to eat nothing but cheap or fast food until I got the bug for growing my own, there is nothing nicer than sweet organic food that goes garden to plate in 30 mins or less.

Good luck waiting for others to fix your problems for you.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Good work, thanks for the effort :)

Correct I am not a warrior type, maybe in my youth (I served for a few years) but definitely not now, wild horses could not drag me to fight for anyone other than myself or loved ones.

I voted for Brexit, the only time in my 50 years that I have bothered to vote. I won’t bother again it is a waste of time, the powerful will never relent their power (decentralised decision making is impossible) and the masses are sheep. Follow the leader while the leader is fcuking everything for personal gain, it’s just nature.

You get me wrong regarding the gardening I have always done it for pleasure. I used to eat nothing but cheap or fast food until I got the bug for growing my own, there is nothing nicer than sweet organic food that goes garden to plate in 30 mins or less.

Good luck waiting for others to fix your problems for you.

ER! Only the total collapse of society will cause me problems. I really really don't think we will go that far,
I was pleased to see that you 'served.' Me too. it's where I learned to think for myself. It's why I am a Brexit.
Good luck with all that dried food!

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
An interesting post, with quite a few insightful comments.
When the schools do reopen (If the teachers allow it, I think they're hoping for the whole summer off), I wonder how many parents will keep their children at home (just in case)? especially as health experts are now looking at reports of coronavirus-related syndrome among children.
I HAVE to explain that it won't be teachers who decide whether or not schools reopen, being right at the bottom of the hierarchy. It will also be impossible to have the whole summer off when there is an obligation to set work and be available all day to answer queries and mark responses. Just thought I'd clarify that in case people reading this thread think it's the case (I realise you may have been being light hearted) and that teachers are already on holiday!

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I HAVE to explain that it won't be teachers who decide whether or not schools reopen, being right at the bottom of the hierarchy. It will also be impossible to have the whole summer off when there is an obligation to set work and be available all day to answer queries and mark responses. Just thought I'd clarify that in case people reading this thread think it's the case (I realise you may have been being light hearted) and that teachers are already on holiday!

May moons ago when I worked in a education setting we was told by a new head teacher that we entitled to two weeks off in summer and if she deemed it and called us she expected us to turn up. luckly she never carried this out but every summer she used to warn s about this. [she was b**** if i am honest and because her hubby cant fly she never went abroad we think this was a bit greeneyed monster]

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I think it'll be the unions that decide when schools and everyone else goes back to work. Has the government's furlough scheme to pay 80% of people's wages been just a bit too successful? Leaving aside the risk factor, what with no travel/childcare costs, some workers are better off financially! and are in no hurry to return to work. It's an "I'm alright Jack" mentality, never mind that it's going to bankrupt the country. Has the government's mantra of "Stay home, protect the NHS" also been too successful by scaring the public into submission?
Perhaps they should have emphasised the point that most people if they get the virus will only have mild symptoms or none at all. :rolleyes:

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I think it'll be the unions that decide when schools and everyone else goes back to work. Has the government's furlough scheme to pay 80% of people's wages been just a bit too successful? Leaving aside the risk factor, what with no travel/childcare costs, some workers are better off financially! and are in no hurry to return to work. It's an "I'm alright Jack" mentality, never mind that it's going to bankrupt the country. Has the government's mantra of "Stay home, protect the NHS" also been too successful by scaring the public into submission?
Perhaps they should have emphasised the point that most people if they get the virus will only have mild symptoms or none at all. :rolleyes:

The government's furlough scheme to pay 80% of peoples wages was only intended for the restaurants , bars and such like but the others al umped on band wagon . Shops could of stayed open adopted the same approach as the supermarkets have done. and factory' s just needed to sort something too my son gone back to work he manufactures double glazing for local council. and surrounding areas. they mark floors out brought new tools so there no sharing ,

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score

From what I know there are too many
'sit at homes' enjoying my taxes,,however, as to those scared to come out , I see that it is the fat over seventies who die first.
I'm on another diet!

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Just been to work... my room is REEKING of bleach! They have cleaned like never before! I hope they keep this up when we're back to some sort of 'normal'.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Just been to work... my room is REEKING of bleach! They have cleaned like never before! I hope they keep this up when we're back to some sort of 'normal'.

Funny thing that I noticed among my Male Friends YEARS AGO.......All our bathrooms and Kitchens are spotless and smell of bleach...!

We just put it down to being a bloke thing..!

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Ye
Funny thing that I noticed among my Male Friends YEARS AGO.......All our bathrooms and Kitchens are spotless and smell of bleach...!

We just put it down to being a bloke thing..!
Yes - might be a bloke thing, that. Perhaps we females are fonder of our soft furnishings and accessories to bleach willy-nilly (A WILLY thing!). My shock today, however, came from the fact that the cleaners don't usually clean very well and the place looked like it'd had a proper going-over. Nice!

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I don't think many have thought about what opening back up will entail. On a psychological basis, we've been practising social distancing and lessening our interactions with friends and families. But also on a practical level. How do we go about handling physical currency, which is now rejected in some shops as it's seen as diseased or dirty. Credit cards of debit cards are accepted ironically. There have been people without gloves on using those machines, not thinking about the germs and bacteria that would lay on them.

People have also lost jobs and are now unemployed. Some have even lost homes and have even been made to sleep outside in tents because of landlords. A multitude of domestic abuse cases emerging. Unfortunately there is a lot more going on than just a virus right now. And it's going to take time to revert back to some kind of normalcy once we do open up again. I mean you don't lock down the entire world and expect things to go back to how they were straight off the bat.

So you have a psychological, social and economical impact as the result of this lock down. Yes, we're going to be allowed out very soon, possibly August i heard, but it will take time to revert back to normalcy. And then you have people who have been stuck in the house who are terrified of venturing outside. But even then, there's talks of second and third waves of this virus. Do we just go back into lock down? I think it's an important question about civil liberties and freedoms. Do we want the choice of freedom, or do we want authority to choose for us.

That's my two cents on it anyway. I just how the cure isn't worse as the virus itself where we're doing more harm than good with the way we're handling the pandemic.

On a lighter note, can you imagine being forced into lock down in the Amytiville Horror home lol.

Last edited:

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
I have read all this thread and there are some very interesting views ,

We have to always remember that all of this is a first and a complete political nightmare for any Government , any decisions made will be without any past experience at all to relate to and they will be scrutinised dramatically after all this is over.

I also think ending lock-down will be a very tricky event , people are on edge and awaiting decisions that are crucial ,

I have heard talk of them reducing the furlough to 60% which people are just gonna love ,

Lets not also forget that we are governed by people who are always plugging for votes , how much will this effect decisions made ,

How many people will vote for a government that sent kids back to being in groups at school to early whilst being pressured by stressed out parents who are already ready to blow ?

It's fcukin tense man there are so many things to consider ,

I wanted to type another 169 lines but i had a few ,

Everything is different now,

Will it ever be normal ?

Will i have sex again , this worries me lol

T

Tandy

I don't think many have thought about what opening back up will entail. On a psychological basis, we've been practising social distancing and lessening our interactions with friends and families. But also on a practical level. How do we go about handling physical currency, which is now rejected in some shops as it's seen as diseased or dirty. Credit cards of debit cards are accepted ironically. There have been people without gloves on using those machines, not thinking about the germs and bacteria that would lay on them.

People have also lost jobs and are now unemployed. Some have even lost homes and have even been made to sleep outside in tents because of landlords. A multitude of domestic abuse cases emerging. Unfortunately there is a lot more going on than just a virus right now. And it's going to take time to revert back to some kind of normalcy once we do open up again. I mean you don't lock down the entire world and expect things to go back to how they were straight off the bat.

So you have a psychological, social and economical impact as the result of this lock down. Yes, we're going to be allowed out very soon, possibly August i heard, but it will take time to revert back to normalcy. And then you have people who have been stuck in the house who are terrified of venturing outside. But even then, there's talks of second and third waves of this virus. Do we just go back into lock down? I think it's an important question about civil liberties and freedoms. Do we want the choice of freedom, or do we want authority to choose for us.

That's my two cents on it anyway. I just how the cure isn't worse as the virus itself where we're doing more harm than good with the way we're handling the pandemic.

On a lighter note, can you imagine being forced into lock down in the Amytiville Horror home lol.

I agree the mechanism for opening back up the economy is riddled with problems and uncertainty. Fear has been driven home by the global media, the governments have pushed the deadly severity of the disease, we have been told that getting close to others could kill our loved ones, so how do you open back up, will people be willing to forget the fear and go back to work.

Businesses have gone to the wall, others have made vast redundancies, others still are predicting administration or years to get back on their feet. Just remember this came about in a matter of a few months and this virus is not done with the globe yet, not by a long shot.

It was easy to send the masses to their homes and yes of course some have found it worked out financially well for them but many others have struggled, food banks, domestic abuse, charity failures to name a few state unprecedented rise in numbers. This is just the very start. Central G7 economies have pumped trillions into markets to keep speculators at bay of our grandkids money to keeping the circus going but this will need to be paid back with interest, you can’t ignore billions of man hours work disappearing, its gone, it cannot be reclaimed and others in the future will need to balance the elites books, they got to have their yachts and private islands for kid trafficking you know.

Will we trust the gov, will we trust WHO, will we trust the pie fingering elite, the global cult, the ones who feast off of our depravity to make everything ok again. Is there ever going to be an ok again or will we live as slaves on a basic income under a Chinese NWO style of living. Should we download the app, be tracked and traced, is that freedom? Should our neighbours report us to the state if we defy some social rule. Do we march back to work in grey suits to our grey offices, to our grey screen and clap at 8pm, anyone not clapping reported and sent to the training camp for re-training?

Easing lockdown is more problematic than inducing it, brave new world awaits my friends.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I agree the mechanism for opening back up the economy is riddled with problems and uncertainty. Fear has been driven home by the global media, the governments have pushed the deadly severity of the disease, we have been told that getting close to others could kill our loved ones, so how do you open back up, will people be willing to forget the fear and go back to work.

Businesses have gone to the wall, others have made vast redundancies, others still are predicting administration or years to get back on their feet. Just remember this came about in a matter of a few months and this virus is not done with the globe yet, not by a long shot.

It was easy to send the masses to their homes and yes of course some have found it worked out financially well for them but many others have struggled, food banks, domestic abuse, charity failures to name a few state unprecedented rise in numbers. This is just the very start. Central G7 economies have pumped trillions into markets to keep speculators at bay of our grandkids money to keeping the circus going but this will need to be paid back with interest, you can’t ignore billions of man hours work disappearing, its gone, it cannot be reclaimed and others in the future will need to balance the elites books, they got to have their yachts and private islands for kid trafficking you know.

Will we trust the gov, will we trust WHO, will we trust the pie fingering elite, the global cult, the ones who feast off of our depravity to make everything ok again. Is there ever going to be an ok again or will we live as slaves on a basic income under a Chinese NWO style of living. Should we download the app, be tracked and traced, is that freedom? Should our neighbours report us to the state if we defy some social rule. Do we march back to work in grey suits to our grey offices, to our grey screen and clap at 8pm, anyone not clapping reported and sent to the training camp for re-training?

Easing lockdown is more problematic than inducing it, brave new world awaits my friends.

Who the fek pays you to write this stuff? There's no laughs.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
T

Tandy

Who the fek pays you to write this stuff? There's no laughs.

You want laughs Dong, do you feel glum without a tickle? my dog is a bit like that, maybe take yourself out for a walk, mark your territory, sniff a few butts, seems to work for my dog, gets his tail wagging something fierce.

Back