Urban myths

J

JustinCredible

Do you know what an urban myth is? To me an urban myth is a piece of false information circulated as though true and when repeated enough times by enough people..to some it becomes truth.

The Manchester canal serial killer is one particular urban myth that bugs me..there is no serial killer on the loose ask Greater Manchester Police!

are there any others? feel free to join in . . . . .

J

JustinCredible

oh i like things like this

one thing i was watching the other day was about the myth of king arthur and Tintagel

its got so big over all the years,,,,, the place does exist

and the myth has grown around it, to the point they have even put a statue there

mind u it is a lovely tale View attachment 345
Nice picture it looks lovely there I must pay it a visit sometime even it is just an urban myth!

Reaction score
oh i like things like this

one thing i was watching the other day was about the myth of king arthur and Tintagel

its got so big over all the years,,,,, the place does exist

and the myth has grown around it, to the point they have even put a statue there

mind u it is a lovely tale View attachment 345

Might be some truth to it but researchers still haven't figured out they need to research the area Arthur was supposed to live in. Castle-an-Dinas is a more likely spot for his home but Tintagel is owned by the Duke so he needs to Disneyfy the place to attract more tourists to supply his wallet.

Weirdly most of what I can think of could be called an urban legend.

Reaction score
Cornwall's a confusing place, part conspiracy theory part urban-legend. You may consider and be told Cornwall is a nomal county, but;

The Royal Commission on the Constitution or The Kilbrandon Report in 1974 said about Cornwall "The Commission recognised that "a very small minority" in Cornwall existed that claimed a separate national identity for the Cornish people, and who wished to have separate arrangements for their government. They however felt that "despite its individual character and strong sense of regional identity, there is no evidence that its people have a wish to see it separated for the purposes of government from the rest of England". However they recognised that "the people of Cornwall regard their part of the United Kingdom as not just another English county" and accordingly they recommended that the designation "Duchy of Cornwall" be used on all appropriate occasions to emphasise the "special relationship and the territorial integrity of Cornwall". Yet now you're told Cornwall is nothing special.

As above you can see Cornwall was suggested to be referred to as a Duchy. Today you're told Cornwall is not the Duchy of Cornwall rather the Duchy of Cornwall is just a few bits of Cornwall. There are also two Duchies- the title and the physical land.

The Duke of Cornwall has certain rights in Cornwall which elsewhere the monarch has control over, such as:

He has right to treasure trove, he can nick it from you and give you nothing.
He is entitled to gold and silver mines in Cornwall.
He owns the Cornish foreshore and waterways. He also has the right to wrecks.
He is entitled to escheat and bona vacantia. You die without a will or family your estate goes to him. Or your company.
He appoints the High Sheriff of Cornwall.
He has the right to present clerical livings.
He has the right not to pay tax.
He has the right to Crown Immunity.
The right of the Duke of Cornwall to give consent to Parliamentary Bills which affect the Duchy of Cornwall. He has the right to veto Westminster legislation.

Now whenever any of this pops up anywhere the answer always seems to be that all this is an urban-myth... main reason why I gave up studying Cornish stuff.

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Wat a brilliant bronze Doris .... where it it?

Reaction score
now that is some cool stuff..

enjoyed reading that,,,,, shame u gave in with studying.. but under stand why

im more lost in the king arthur , Uther pendragon and Igraine.
and duke glorius (yes i googled the names)
and the help of merlins magic

this is what i watched BBC iPlayer - King Arthurs Britain: The Truth Unearthed - Free Chat Rooms

as you see im no expert,, but find it so interesting

Yeah Arthur is in the realms of the interesting, Corineus was the founder of Cornwall back in 1100 BC, then you have Cador in 510 BC who was a relative of Arthur and proven to exist. Trouble is hardly any records exist about Cornwall, most of its history is blank. You want to get anywhere its best to look at the saints of Cornwall. Theres a stone near me called the battle stone, has 777 dots on it, each dot is supposed to represent a religious persons life in The Battle of Reskajeage. Can't be proven though as no written records exist, things have only gone down through the years through word of mouth. The saints tend to be nearly proven.

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Breakwake how come you type so much, so late at night....... do u think we are all wide awake enough to read it all?

A

AGirlHasNoName

I love Urban Myths, there is a YouTube channel called Top5s, very interesting, can listen to him for hours.

Reaction score
Breakwake how come you type so much, so late at night....... do u think we are all wide awake enough to read it all?

Cause I'm usually busy during the day?

Back