Yes or No ?

Will only a full lockdown halt the spread ?

• Yes

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • I really do not give a Monkeys.

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
B

Bad_Influence

Had to take you off ignore, in order to post.

I'm afraid you're wrong about me drinking as I don't drink alcohol.

You don’t? Then I can only assume your on some very strong medication. It is certainly making you hallucinate, and making you paranoid.
Leave it alone, it not helping you.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
According to the News, there was some encouraging statements made, whilst the covid numbers still remains too high there are signs of people catching Covid is going down slowly. However, it was stressed that there will be no relaxation of the regulations as yet. To my mind this 'Stay at Home' is working and hopefully we will return to some sort of normality later this year, (quite interesting to find out what the norm will be?). Also that the Oxford vaccinations are working even with the new strain of Covid. A glimmer of hope it seems. :)

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Lol @ posters taking offence @ Northern Tribes - Schopenhauer springs to mind.

The cheapest sort of pride is national pride; for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud; otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellowmen. The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes. But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

Lets dissect this a little.
"The cheapest sort of pride is national pride"
Arguably the single most false statement in the quote. National pride has cost the world multiple generations through conflict.
"for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud"
All "men" (people) being equal such a statement implies by the author that those who take pride in their nation, their culture, their history are worthless.
"otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellowmen."
Those millions who give succour and hope in time of national need. Individuals all, but with a sense of community.
"The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes."
On this I agree, no state or individual is without fault, but to say anyone who supports the nation does not also understand its history of both right and wrong is both naive and unrealistic.
"But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority."
Again a simplistic view of supporters of a nation as being uneducated to its history of both success and failure.

Bear in mind Schopenhauer's work was written in the 1800's, the world was a very different place.
An advanced education was rare and limited in his time.

Perhaps we should consider another of Schopenhauer's quotes, given more than a hundred years of experience since his visions.
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”

I think he would agree, our world is very different than his.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I partially agree with what you wrote - Education is definitely more widespead today, than what it was in the 1800's, but Schopenhauer's quote still resonates in today's world, too.

Think 74 million who voted for Trump, just as a recent example.

You think those 74 million people have right to vote?
To express an opinion on how their reality is effected?
Simply because you view them as wrong, hence inferior?
Perhaps you should take a long hard look at yourself before you discuss intellect.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
"But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority."

Quoted by you:
Again a simplistic view of supporters of a nation as being uneducated to its history of both success and failure.

The above part of the quote describes a Trump supporter to a T ( just my opinion).

Because only someone who has nothing to be proud of and has no other resource would vote for a Narcissistic Sociopath/Psycopath.

The same happened in 1930s Germany.

We should all learn from history, in order for it to stop repeating itself.

"The above part of the quote describes a Trump supporter to a T (Just in my opinion)"
Those are your words.
Perhaps you missed the last sentence of my post :-

"Perhaps we should consider another of Schopenhauer's quotes, given more than a hundred years of experience since his visions.
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”"
Or to translate "People have limited experience on what it means to not be themselves"

Is this an Echo Chamber, an Ideology, a Religion, a Cult?
If so does it not effect both sides of the political/philosophical divide equally?
Can the same not be said for those who support "The Party"
History is replete with ideologies which have caused the death of hundreds, thousands or millions in pursuit of the perfect State.

I recently watched a video by the BBC on the lack of biological evidence for race.
It was laced with ideas of oppression, social constructionism and ideology.
But not once did it mention the biology of phenotypes.
Taking and transforming words to fit an ideology has been around ever since politics or religion were in their infancy.
That is what I think Schopenhauer's thinking finally rested on, that we use change words to suit our idea of their meaning.

Perhaps this was more accurately attributed to William of Occam.

Occam's razor
"A scientific and philosophical rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex or that explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities"

Love to discuss it further :)

Back