White Poppy

B

Bad_Influence

yes buy the red poppy. but the government showed pay for those in the armed forces not a charity and those that need help

Well done... it takes effort to type that much nonsense.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
yes buy the red poppy. but the government showed pay for those in the armed forces not a charity and those that need help

I agree. ;)

I actually liked your version of the word 'Should'....!

Showed...I like that...;)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Forgive me for resurrecting this old thread, but the subject matter is still relevant and looking at some of the current threads, no bad thing. :rolleyes:

I've just bought new poppies, not fetching out last year's ones like some do. I say poppies (plural) one white and one red, and will wear them both with pride. If you can spare the money, please consider buying a poppy (whatever colour you feel comfortable with).

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Doesn't it make you sad that some are so ill informed, by that i mean original poster not you megs x
As far as I can see, this thread was initiated in good faith. It was not intended to be controversial as to who and why we should honour those who lost lives in World Wars. It was meant to incorporate those who were non-combatant but still lost their lives in the cause.
Please DO enlighten us as to when the RED poppy was instituted to represent the deaths of military personnel.

Prior to World War One there were very few memorials to 'the fallen dead' in wars centuries before, and certainly none that the general public are aware of. The current generation barely know anything 20th century warfare history as it is, let alone anything that occurred long before.
If you know differently, please provide evidence of this.

Thank you.

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Forgive me for resurrecting this old thread, but the subject matter is still relevant and looking at some of the current threads, no bad thing. :rolleyes:

I've just bought new poppies, not fetching out last year's ones like some do. I say poppies (plural) one white and one red, and will wear them both with pride. If you can spare the money, please consider buying a poppy (whatever colour you feel comfortable with).
And then we have the purple poppy to remember all the animals who died in warfare. Don't forget them. Personally, I just wear a red one as, for me, it symbolises everyone and every creature who lost their lives.

Reaction score
I thought red poppies were associated with Flanders Fields and were to represent the blood spilt by soldiers. Wasn't it originally the Royal British Legion that sold the red poppies?

"The white poppy was introduced in 1933 by the British Women’s Cooperative Guild as a pacifist alternative to the British Legion’s annual red poppy appeal.
Now produced and distributed by the Peace Pledge Union, the white poppy is intended to commemorate the victims of all wars, both civilian and military, and not only those conflicts in which British Armed Forces took part. It is also meant as a commitment to peace and a refusal to glamorise war."

Doesn't look like the white ones are easy to buy offline.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a white poopy?
You'll struggle to buy a white poppy on the High St, a bit like trying to buy The Sun newspaper in Liverpool. :rolleyes: I get my poppies direct from the Peace Pledge Union, but you can get them on ebay, some of the sellers make a donation from each sale to The Royal British Legion. But be advised, wearing a white poppy or any colour other than red may bring you some hassle in the street. :(

S

Saphire

People should be proud to wear whichever colour poppy they choose, without any hassle.
I wear an ornate red one bought from the British Legion years ago, but I will buy a paper poppy too and stick it on my bag.

There seems to be less poppy sellers around this year for some reason.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
As far as I can see, this thread was initiated in good faith. It was not intended to be controversial as to who and why we should honour those who lost lives in World Wars. It was meant to incorporate those who were non-combatant but still lost their lives in the cause.
Please DO enlighten us as to when the RED poppy was instituted to represent the deaths of military personnel.

Prior to World War One there were very few memorials to 'the fallen dead' in wars centuries before, and certainly none that the general public are aware of. The current generation barely know anything 20th century warfare history as it is, let alone anything that occurred long before.
If you know differently, please provide evidence of this.

Thank you.
I'd like to attach an addendum: I am aware that the white poppy is representative of the movement of pacifism, the Peace Pledge Union, founded in 1934, which has long upheld the display of white poppies. Might I also add that I sympathise with that aim; unrealistic though it is.
What I am uncomfortable with, however, is that the white poppy is displayed at the same time as commemorating those who died during major conflicts, primarily World Wars One and Two, and including all those who have fallen in combat since.
If the white poppy is meant to promote a pacifistic ideal, then it really should be worn all year round and not just on Remembrance Day.
I think that is why there is quite a lot of opposition to it because it detracts from the "Lest We Forget" sentiment, in keeping with Remembrance Day
and because some people view it as a means to bandwagon an annual event that aims to concentrate on sadly lost lives of the past, and not the future.
It goes without saying that most people would prefer a world without wars ever again, especially on the scale of those of the last century.
Regrettably, wearing a white poppy will not achieve that end.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I`m trying not to post a contraversial post as i don`t wish to get snappy responses from those who don`t know but my own father was killed in Germany at the end of WW2 and to be quite frank the Local Royal Legion did fk all to help her ! She struggled ,financially ,until i could work and give her money for house keeping . War widows then got very little money from the State either ,i think they do better now .
Time moves on and i feel sorry for the OP who is getting such stick for something which needs to be progressed like many other things .

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
What I am uncomfortable with, however, is that the white poppy is displayed at the same time as commemorating those who died during major conflicts, primarily World Wars One and Two, and including all those who have fallen in combat since.
If the white poppy is meant to promote a pacifistic ideal, then it really should be worn all year round and not just on Remembrance Day.
Excellent point. It was something I didn't consider when wearing the white one next to the red one.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I was coming down the escalator at Asda this morning when I saw an old chap selling poppies. He looked very forlorn as most were ignoring him. Well, there is a cost of lockdown crisis and people have to watch the pennies. Feeling in a generous mood, I went over to him and bought a poppy (a red one!), one of those enamel types. £3 he wanted for it, but I gave him a fiver, big of me! I'll probably regret my philanthropy at the end of the month when i'm potless. Anyway, later on I noticed the date 2022 was engraved on the badge. What is the significance of this? I don't recall ever seeing a date on previous badges i've bought. I'm wondering if it's to possibly shame mean-spirited people who buy a poppy and then bring the same one out every year. :rolleyes:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Im simply going to post the exact same thing I posted on Elwoods post about this.

"I understand the premise behind Rememberance, but to me, I find it .. distasteful to celebrate it once a year.
For those who have served, they have my thanks every day.
Without the sacrifices made, how would our society look?

I do however have to ask, what do those people who "Remember" by buying a Poppy actually know?
In my experience, they know very little.

War is political, however you want to repect the fallen, ones first question should be "Why did they have to die".
Yes we should thank those who are willing to serve thier country, but we must also ask if thier deaths are justified.
After all, is not the premise of Rememberence the statement "Lest we Forget"

It seems many have forgotten."

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It's distasteful that veterans and their dependants have to rely on charity. :( With the possible exception of WW2 was any armed conflict worth it?
What was WW1 all about?... other than setting us up for WW2. Vietnam/Korea - the less said the better. The Falklands? if the will was there, it could have been sorted diplomatically. The soldiers that died in Afghanistan/Iraq? well i'm sure their loved ones will be wondering if it was worth it. But knowing of the work the veterans charities do, i'll continue to buy poppies.
There's an old saying 'If politicians had to send their own sons to war - there'd be no more wars'

Back