Where did accents and language start

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
we begin on a cold winters morning, caveman and cavewoman sitting huddled around a fire, breakfast is a dinasaur toe or something, i dont know do I...the thing of it is..all they could commuinicate with was "oohh ooh"..so how did "Ello love can you pass me the ketchup" come about? thats what I'd like to know.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Language started with pictures.
Most people draw the sun the same way, or a tree..
They were labelled with sounds.
Words as we call them now.

Accents are amalgamations of the cultural dialects people used.
However, it's now based on human mimicry, in time most people adopt the accent of where they live to fit in.
It's a natural psychological need to be part of the peer group, especially when young.

Now I'm gonna have to wait for Heinz to create Daddies T-Rex sauce...
Damn you Baba ;)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
we begin on a cold winters morning, caveman and cavewoman sitting huddled around a fire, breakfast is a dinasaur toe or something, i dont know do I...the thing of it is..all they could commuinicate with was "oohh ooh"..so how did "Ello love can you pass me the ketchup" come about? thats what I'd like to know.
A problem which has puzzled me for many many years :)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Language started with pictures.
Most people draw the sun the same way, or a tree..
They were labelled with sounds.
Words as we call them now.

Accents are amalgamations of the cultural dialects people used.
However, it's now based on human mimicry, in time most people adopt the accent of where they live to fit in.
It's a natural psychological need to be part of the peer group, especially when young.

Now I'm gonna have to wait for Heinz to create Daddies T-Rex sauce...
Damn you Baba ;)
It`s so weird ! I had a friend who was normal English .born and bred. At about aged 18 he went to Australia for a few years ,about 5 i think. he came back here ( England) and talked with a totally Ausralian accent !. How can you learn an "accent" ? It`s most difficult to learn a language even . lol .

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It`s so weird ! I had a friend who was normal English .born and bred. At about aged 18 he went to Australia for a few years ,about 5 i think. he came back here ( England) and talked with a totally Ausralian accent !. How can you learn an "accent" ? It`s most difficult to learn a language even . lol .

Not really Hells, many people are vocal chameleons, their accent changes to suit their location.
It's highly valued in the Intelligence communities.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Not really Hells, many people are vocal chameleons, their accent changes to suit their location.
It's highly valued in the Intelligence communities.
But Moriarty, this guys accent changed to match the Ozzie accent in Australia and even when he came back to England it stayed an Ozzie accent . he`s never gone back to an English accent.

S

Saphire

Our family are born and bred northern, my sister went to London for a weekend when she was a teenager ,she came back with a Cockney accent...beat that. :D

clactonolderguy

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
humans and animals such as birds will adopt an 'accent' when communicating with others around them. reflecting social and environmental issues. thus if we drop in an 'alien' person or animal etc into a functioning group using a local pattern and sound etc to communicate. basic survival instinct kicks in and that individual. will try ( even subconsciously ) to adopt same sounds and manners in order to blend in and become part of that group. many can adopt an accent easily..other struggle . my wife will unwittingly adopt say a slight Australian accent when visiting and interacting with Australians ( plus other accents in Uk when on holiday) not even aware she has 'copied' an accent at all. I tend not to adopt and accent ( being thick?) and was not aware I had one until an student of such was telling me about his hobby and interest in language and accents. I challenged him to say what accent I had. He said after just 1 minute of chatting to me that I was from east London. I was there as a kid and not bene back for 50 years! but he was spot on with not just east end but the almost exact part! ergo one learns an accent as we do a language by listening and copying even when not aware we are doing it. some can adopt easily or mimic . actors often famed for that as are comedians etc others can not shift accent born with. they think its part brain adaptability and part voice box /genetics.

Back