What's the most cash you ever held in your hand?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
My brother's just put £4000 in my hand. He knew I was having some money problems.
Your salary gets paid into the bank and you pay for everything by card. The money comes and goes but you never get to actually see it, so to have a wad of cash like that in your hand... bloody wonderful. I asked why cash and why £4000? he replied " It's just what I had lying around the house"... just lying around the house! And it's not a loan - it's a gift! I am just so grateful that life has given me a brother like that.
Are there any cash in hand stories my fellow forum'ers would care to share? . . .

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
My brother's just put £4000 in my hand. He knew I was having some money problems.
Your salary gets paid into the bank and you pay for everything by card. The money comes and goes but you never get to actually see it, so to have a wad of cash like that in your hand... bloody wonderful. I asked why cash and why £4000? he replied " It's just what I had lying around the house"... just lying around the house! And it's not a loan - it's a gift! I am just so grateful that life has given me a brother like that.
Are there any cash in hand stories my fellow forum'ers would care to share? . . .
That’s really lovely, thank you for sharing x

In terms of cash; part of my job used to be training people from all over the world I had one organisation turn up to be trained with their course fee in out of date £50 notes 920 of them!

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I once held a container with (very old) gold and silver coins in it.

At todays value it was/is worth £2.63 million

None if it belonged/belongs to me.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
£500, which is a lot of money to me. However, I'm reluctant to carrying around a lot of cash on me, and prefer bank transfers, as that's easier and safer.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
I have held reasonable amounts over the years, work, black economy, etc but am I the only person who detests the new notes.

I hate them, back in the day it was extremely satisfying licking your thumb as you counted a wad of used notes, the texture the smell. Now it is thin lumps of sanitized plasticky stuff that even get odd creases that mess up the neatness of your stash if they are not stored properly lol.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have held reasonable amounts over the years, work, black economy, etc but am I the only person who detests the new notes.

I hate them, back in the day it was extremely satisfying licking your thumb as you counted a wad of used notes, the texture the smell. Now it is thin lumps of sanitized plasticky stuff that even get odd creases that mess up the neatness of your stash if they are not stored properly lol.
I hate them too. They like to stick together. Nearly gave away £20 instead of £10 once. Luckily for me, the cashier was aware and tld me.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I once held a container with (very old) gold and silver coins in it.

At todays value it was/is worth £2.63 million

None if it belonged/belongs to me.
It's amazing the amount of treasure that's been buried in this country. Many centuries ago, for some reason or another, people put all their gold and silver in a hole in the ground, thinking one day they'd come back for it, but for some reason they never did, I wonder why...

Back