Weight loss jabs for unemployed people?

Not_Fred_Honest

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
In a world first, UK Health Secretary Wes Streeting has unveiled plans to give weight-loss jabs to unemployed people who are diagnosed as obese, with the aim of getting them back to work to help turbocharge the UK economy​

This made the news........

I looked up prices on Boots web site and its £219 per month. Once your on the stuff you never get off. Think 21 century valium.

Instead of spending the money on skills training and more in work benefits, Labour feel the only reason a person cant get a job is there fat. Nothing to do with uncontrolled immigration, poor wages or overpriced childcare, they cant get a job cos they need a double seat on the bus :rolleyes:

And its not the first time Labour have run a nonsense back to work program. Am I the only one who remembers when they offer modeling training for adults over 25 who had been out of work longer than 6 month?

I wonder how many of them are now strutting the cat walk in Paris or Millan?

Cold hard cash gets people into work. Showing people they can make more from working than on benefits.

MissLove

The one and only
Reaction score
I think the discussion is a bit more nuanced than that. When a manager has 2 candidates for hire with approx. the same qualifications, the more good-looking candidate will have an edge over the other. And being severely overweight just isn't good-looking on anyone.

Are these injections forced on the unemployed, as in, "you have to get them or else...", or can they choose to have them even if they would normally not be able to afford them? If it's an option funded by the government, for people being very overweight and unemployed, then I think it's nice of them to do so. Weight loss is not an easy road, and it may help in improving the image potential employers have of you.

Not_Fred_Honest

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
This is "open end" medication costing £2628 per year, per person.

Don't you think spending money on a good training package will be more beneficial?

Back