The Queens Jubilee.

S

Saphire

Her Majesty The Queen is the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, seventy years of service, having acceded to the throne on 6th February 1952 when Her Majesty was 25 years old.

The nation will come together over a four-day Bank Holiday weekend to celebrate her 70 year reign.
Many people will enjoy a 4 day bank holiday.

S

Saphire

Have you or your family, neighbours, organised a gathering or street party?
Nothing in my road....miserable lot.

W

WolfeSwitche

Planning on something low key. My partner is disabled and has chronic heart failure so we have to be careful of infections such as influenza and, yes, covid.
So, snacks, drinks and chilling now rather than partying.
In days gone by, we'd have been found at some festival.

S

Saphire

Planning on something low key. My partner is disabled and has chronic heart failure so we have to be careful of infections such as influenza and, yes, covid.
So, snacks, drinks and chilling now rather than partying.
In days gone by, we'd have been found at some festival.
Snacks, drinks and chilling, sounds good to me.:cool:
Like you, my festival days are long gone, family gatherings are always nicer imo.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Not a sausage going on here in this little enclave, I think it's because there are no small children around here (Thank God). I was expecting to see
little flags on the cars like you often see when England are in the World Cup, but no, nothing. I was toying with making a Union Jack jelly, Can you get white jelly? I may just join in with the 'plant a tree for jubilee'. Then again, I'd have to face creepy crawlies in the garden. :eek: But I will do something. :)

S

Saphire

Not a sausage going on here in this little enclave, I think it's because there are no small children around here (Thank God). I was expecting to see
little flags on the cars like you often see when England are in the World Cup, but no, nothing. I was toying with making a Union Jack jelly, Can you get white jelly? I may just join in with the 'plant a tree for jubilee'. Then again, I'd have to face creepy crawlies in the garden. :eek: But I will do something. :)
Planting a tree is a lovely idea....the jelly too, though as far as I know (and my experience of jelly making is limited) the nearest thing to white jelly would be a clear one.

S

Saphire

As no one else in my road has bothered, I am off to buy some bunting.
I'm not a royalist, but anyone deserves some recognition for doing a job and doing it well for 70 years, and the queen has certainly done that.

No street parties round here, but will be going to a Jubilee barbecue on Saturday, so I will raise a glass to her Maj then. x

R.94d8a87e2b9bd8444c86cabd86cc8664

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
There's one in the cul-de-sac where i live that's been organised fro Friday. I'm not sure how long I'll stay out there for, but i best show my face.

S

Saphire

There's one in the cul-de-sac where i live that's been organised fro Friday. I'm not sure how long I'll stay out there for, but i best show my face.
Yeah...it's always good to turn up to street does, even if it's only to say Hello to neighbours.

Failed on the bunting buying front...everyone is sold out.:( Not sure who has been buying it, but there is none up in my road yet.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Yeah...it's always good to turn up to street does, even if it's only to say Hello to neighbours.

Failed on the bunting buying front...everyone is sold out.:( Not sure who has been buying it, but there is none up in my road yet.
So.... You live on a 'ROAD'...Hmm.

Council Estate or Your own home?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Failed on the bunting buying front...everyone is sold out.:( Not sure who has been buying it,
I was at the Asda in East Boldon this morning, they've still got lots of Jubilee stuff, including bunting. I'm not sure why it's not selling here. :( I also picked up a pack of 20 Union Jack paper napkins. That's my contribution to the celebrations. :)

S

Saphire

I was at the Asda in East Boldon this morning, they've still got lots of Jubilee stuff, including bunting. I'm not sure why it's not selling here. :( I also picked up a pack of 20 Union Jack paper napkins. That's my contribution to the celebrations. :)
OH managed to get some bunting.
He had heard a stallholder on the local market had ordered some, he would be open at 7am, but he expected it to be sold within minutes.
So....OH decided to get up early and get some.
Unfortunately, he mistakenly thought he had overslept, started barging about in his haste to get out...clock said twenty to six, he mistakenly thought it was eight thirty, and as I have my alarm clock fast, it was nearer five 30....and I have been awake since then.:mad:

He was first in line for the bunting though.:cool:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
They say life is simpler without an OH in your life, but clearly, they do have their uses! :)

I can only surmise that the Jubilee stuff is freely available here because it's a staunch Labour area. One of those 'red wall' seats that didn't turn blue at the last election. They could stick the Yorkshire Ripper up as a prospective parliamentary candidate - and they'd still get in! You know, to some, it's almost like a crime to show that you're proud of your queen and country :rolleyes:

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

They have one of those apps where everyone who lives here can chat to each other about what's going on. Apparently someone moved out and moved elsewhere, others are away from holiday, and there's some information about the Jubliee Party where you have to bring your own food and drink. But i really don't fancy it.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I live in a staunch Conservative area and i havnt heard anything about any street party in our small cul-d-sac.

S

Saphire

They say life is simpler without an OH in your life, but clearly, they do have their uses! :)

I can only surmise that the Jubilee stuff is freely available here because it's a staunch Labour area. One of those 'red wall' seats that didn't turn blue at the last election. They could stick the Yorkshire Ripper up as a prospective parliamentary candidate - and they'd still get in! You know, to some, it's almost like a crime to show that you're proud of your queen and country :rolleyes:
I live in a Labour area too Lady....and tbh, I have no idea who has bought all the bunting because there aren't many houses decorated round here either.
OH draped ours over the front of the house and garage...and I have to give him credit, it looks very patriotic.

S

Saphire

They have one of those apps where everyone who lives here can chat to each other about what's going on. Apparently someone moved out and moved elsewhere, others are away from holiday, and there's some information about the Jubliee Party where you have to bring your own food and drink. But i really don't fancy it.
Shame you don't fancy it....but sometimes the gatherings you are least looking forwards to, turn out to be ones you really enjoy.

Back