The Mandela Effect

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I love a good conspiracy theory. Some are clearly the work of smoking too much Mary Jane or a paranoiac personality disorder, but some have (a little) credence, such as Covid-mania.

One that has caught my attention lately is the Mandela Effect. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s where a large number of people believe an event occurred when it didn’t, such as the population of people that believed Nelson Mandela died in the 80’s-90’s, when in fact he only died in 2013. Often the ‘false memory’ is complex- some remember newspaper stories of his death or newsflashes. The most common Mandela Effects are spellings, such as Bernstain vs Bernstein bears (which I’d never heard of- must be a U.S thing!) or misinformation, such as the location of New Zealand (a large number of people, including myself, thought New Zealand was north-east of Australia, when in fact it’s south-east). The term was coined by Fiona Broome, who discovered that a number of people, including herself, believed Nelson Mandela died in the 80’s in prison.

I was one of those that thought Nelson Mandela died in the 90’s, shortly after he became President of South Africa. I even remember seeing his funeral on the news and Winnie Mandela being referred to as his widow. It was about 10 years later that I found out he was actually alive.

Another is John Goodman. Both my mother and I were big fans of Roseanne and I remember when it ended, both of us were hoping it would make a comeback, then I read in a newspaper that John Goodman had died of a heart attack. I even remember the conversation with her- it was a Sunday morning and I was reading The News of The World. It was about a half a page story and when I told her, she teared up. She’d had a crush on him, as he reminded her of my stepfather who had died years earlier. I even recall when there was gossip that Roseanne was making a comeback that they were going to write his death in as Dan having a heart attack off screen. But alas- he was alive and well, making more movies and returning to Roseanne, and there was no mention at all of him ‘dying’ ever again!

Believers will tell you it’s a glitch in the matrix; a changing of timelines. However, false memories are complex phenomenon and can occur for multiple reasons. When I believed that Nelson Mandela had died, I was teenager-young adult and couldn’t have given less of a shite about political affairs. It could have easily been someone else’s funeral I tagged on to Nelson Mandela. But I can still see Winnie Mandela in my head, bawling and the newsreader referring to her as his widow.
And John Goodman’s death…well, I only have a few words to explain that one- The News of the World! That paper was the grand-daddy of misinformation!

There are pages dedicated to believers of The Mandela Effect, all with their own stories, so what’s yours?

WolfesWitch

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I always thought the author Danielle Steel was Steele......
I have spent decades in second hand bookshops.

I actually follow a group on FB about the Mandela effect. There are a few interesting ones

Ingrid1965

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I love a good conspiracy theory. Some are clearly the work of smoking too much Mary Jane or a paranoiac personality disorder, but some have (a little) credence, such as Covid-mania.

One that has caught my attention lately is the Mandela Effect. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s where a large number of people believe an event occurred when it didn’t, such as the population of people that believed Nelson Mandela died in the 80’s-90’s, when in fact he only died in 2013. Often the ‘false memory’ is complex- some remember newspaper stories of his death or newsflashes. The most common Mandela Effects are spellings, such as Bernstain vs Bernstein bears (which I’d never heard of- must be a U.S thing!) or misinformation, such as the location of New Zealand (a large number of people, including myself, thought New Zealand was north-east of Australia, when in fact it’s south-east). The term was coined by Fiona Broome, who discovered that a number of people, including herself, believed Nelson Mandela died in the 80’s in prison.

I was one of those that thought Nelson Mandela died in the 90’s, shortly after he became President of South Africa. I even remember seeing his funeral on the news and Winnie Mandela being referred to as his widow. It was about 10 years later that I found out he was actually alive.

Another is John Goodman. Both my mother and I were big fans of Roseanne and I remember when it ended, both of us were hoping it would make a comeback, then I read in a newspaper that John Goodman had died of a heart attack. I even remember the conversation with her- it was a Sunday morning and I was reading The News of The World. It was about a half a page story and when I told her, she teared up. She’d had a crush on him, as he reminded her of my stepfather who had died years earlier. I even recall when there was gossip that Roseanne was making a comeback that they were going to write his death in as Dan having a heart attack off screen. But alas- he was alive and well, making more movies and returning to Roseanne, and there was no mention at all of him ‘dying’ ever again!

Believers will tell you it’s a glitch in the matrix; a changing of timelines. However, false memories are complex phenomenon and can occur for multiple reasons. When I believed that Nelson Mandela had died, I was teenager-young adult and couldn’t have given less of a shite about political affairs. It could have easily been someone else’s funeral I tagged on to Nelson Mandela. But I can still see Winnie Mandela in my head, bawling and the newsreader referring to her as his widow.
And John Goodman’s death…well, I only have a few words to explain that one- The News of the World! That paper was the grand-daddy of misinformation!

There are pages dedicated to believers of The Mandela Effect, all with their own stories, so what’s yours?
I am not going to read this, if I want to read I take a good book! Be clear and short so you hit where you want to hit and get your thingy over to other people!!!!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Offhand I can't think of any Mandela effect I was part of...
I did invent one for the kids though. All through their childhood they believed that the car wouldn't start unless all the seat belts were fastened.
Well it got them to belt up! I'm not sure exactly when they became aware of my little ruse, but it was well into their teens. :)

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Offhand I can't think of any Mandela effect I was part of...
I did invent one for the kids though. All through their childhood they believed that the car wouldn't start unless all the seat belts were fastened.
Well it got them to belt up! I'm not sure exactly when they became aware of my little ruse, but it was well into their teens. :)
Lmao! (I wish this place would add a laughing smiley to the reply emicons!)
I'm not sure that counts as a Mandela Effect, but I like your thinking ;)

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I always thought the author Danielle Steel was Steele......
I have spent decades in second hand bookshops.

I actually follow a group on FB about the Mandela effect. There are a few interesting ones
I thought it was Danielle Steele too! :oops: My mother used to collect her and Catherine Cookson and I was sure she had a crap load of eee's in her name!

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I am not going to read this, if I want to read I take a good book! Be clear and short so you hit where you want to hit and get your thingy over to other people!!!!
Good- don't read it! No one is holding a gun to your head, sweet cheeks.

Do you run classes? Is 'thingy' a technical term you use in your Forum Writer's tutorials or was that wine-brain?
As I would never dream of trying to teach you how to lush around chat forums and sniff up to bored, horny men looking for something to occupy them while their wives are in the kitchen, please do not try to 'advise' me on how to write a forum post.

Sorry- is that too many words for you to digest?

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Interesting thread, paul ryder from the happy Mondays, said he met someone from the motor racing world, who everyone thinks is dead,I think I saw dale winton at a car boot, but I couldn't be sure it was him

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Mandela effect was basically setting fire to tyres while they were around peoples necks.

Always wondered why Mandela was so reverered.
It was geopolitics for rare minerals, Africa has lots, so let them have thier heroes before it turns into a sh** show again and we can buy rare minerals from the warlords who take over.

Not rocket science.

JoJoTia3rd

Staff member
Reaction score
Another Mandela effect is the Queen song 'We are the champions' I always thought at the end he sings "We are the champions of the world" but apparently Its just 'We are the champions' :oops:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Do TV licence detector vans come under The Mandela Effect?
Remember them? I was watching a programme the other day showing the vans with their impressive antennas and ariels prowling the streets.
Apparently they could even detect which channel you were watching and what room the TV was in, and most believed it. Did that technology
really exist? Now i'm thinking we were all just hoodwinked into getting a licence. :rolleyes:

issyb1963

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score

Hi, I have a couple which I'm hoping someone may click with. Firstly, the movie Gorillas in the Mist released in 1988 starring Sigourney Weaver. Now, I am 100% positive that I watched this movie at the cinema and the main actress was not Sigourney Weaver but Barbara Hershey, it was years later I came across it and suddenly it was Sigourney Weaver. Now the weird thing is, when I looked it up of ALL the people at the Premier Red Carpet event, one was Barbara Hershey! What are the odds of that when she was not supposed to be linked to that movie in any way and I am one of those people who has a pretty good memory and clearly remember it was her. Does anyone else agree as I've searched the internet and can find nothing about it, just that the person the movie was based on is supposed to be different to the original? Another is Walkers crisps. This might sound silly but I clearly remember in the 80s and perhaps 90s the Salt and Vinegar were in blue packets and the Cheese and Onion in Green, of course it's the other way around, but this was not the case from my clear memory way back.
For some reason the actually Nelson Mandela one is not in my memory, I am one of those who remembers him dying more recently. However thing like Loony Toons (tunes) I agree with, the Monolopy guy with the Monacle - yes definitely, also Tom Cruise wearing those famous sunglasses doing his dance in Risky Business.
I personally believe there is more to all this that a lot of us realize and I'll tell you why. There are two stories I will tell, although I have many more, which kind of relate to glitches in the matrix as it were. The first is, about 10 or so years ago, my son and I were driving towards Aberdeen and were tired and hungry, there was a small sign saying 'services' we turned into and only about 1/4 mile ahead we came across an Inn. The main door was closed and this woman popped her head from round the side and said 'the entrance is here' so in we went. It was about lunch time and it really was so old fashioned, just a few roughly made wooden tables with attached benches, hand written menus with one choice for each course (soup, pie, jelly), now the woman we first saw was dressed in a long white pinafore with an apron and a tie on hat, the young waitress who served us was wearing similar. We were the only people in there. So we both ordered the soup and it came served with a buttered roll, it was actually delicious, homemade vegetable soup. My son ordered a coke and I had a coffee. At the end we asked for the bill, it was hand written and incredibly cheap, it came to about GBP6.00 for all that and they said they only accepted cash, luckily I had cash and paid with a 10 pound note which they kind of looked at for a while, took it around the back and got me my change, all in coins. We left feeling well fed but we knew there was something odd about the whole thing - anyway, about a month later we travelled to Aberdeen again (we used to go there a lot) and wanted to go there again but, when we found the sign for it and looked for the Inn it was nowhere to be found, there were houses where the Inn had been - there was a cafe which we went into and asked the owner and he had no clue what we were talking about even though he had lived there all his life! We tried a couple more times after that and never found it.
The second one is, again we were driving through Scotland but this time around West Lothian and Glasgow areas. We came across this tiny village with a sign saying 'Welcome to Leylines' - there were a handful of houses and what looked like a large electricity station and lots and lots of electrical cables overhead. Something felt off about it all, there was not a person in sight and it felt eerie driving through it. When I got home I searched every single Google or other map for Leylines as a village or town and there was nothing about it anywhere. I have more eerie true stories but can anyone relate to these?

Back