The Mandela Effect

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I love a good conspiracy theory. Some are clearly the work of smoking too much Mary Jane or a paranoiac personality disorder, but some have (a little) credence, such as Covid-mania.

One that has caught my attention lately is the Mandela Effect. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s where a large number of people believe an event occurred when it didn’t, such as the population of people that believed Nelson Mandela died in the 80’s-90’s, when in fact he only died in 2013. Often the ‘false memory’ is complex- some remember newspaper stories of his death or newsflashes. The most common Mandela Effects are spellings, such as Bernstain vs Bernstein bears (which I’d never heard of- must be a U.S thing!) or misinformation, such as the location of New Zealand (a large number of people, including myself, thought New Zealand was north-east of Australia, when in fact it’s south-east). The term was coined by Fiona Broome, who discovered that a number of people, including herself, believed Nelson Mandela died in the 80’s in prison.

I was one of those that thought Nelson Mandela died in the 90’s, shortly after he became President of South Africa. I even remember seeing his funeral on the news and Winnie Mandela being referred to as his widow. It was about 10 years later that I found out he was actually alive.

Another is John Goodman. Both my mother and I were big fans of Roseanne and I remember when it ended, both of us were hoping it would make a comeback, then I read in a newspaper that John Goodman had died of a heart attack. I even remember the conversation with her- it was a Sunday morning and I was reading The News of The World. It was about a half a page story and when I told her, she teared up. She’d had a crush on him, as he reminded her of my stepfather who had died years earlier. I even recall when there was gossip that Roseanne was making a comeback that they were going to write his death in as Dan having a heart attack off screen. But alas- he was alive and well, making more movies and returning to Roseanne, and there was no mention at all of him ‘dying’ ever again!

Believers will tell you it’s a glitch in the matrix; a changing of timelines. However, false memories are complex phenomenon and can occur for multiple reasons. When I believed that Nelson Mandela had died, I was teenager-young adult and couldn’t have given less of a shite about political affairs. It could have easily been someone else’s funeral I tagged on to Nelson Mandela. But I can still see Winnie Mandela in my head, bawling and the newsreader referring to her as his widow.
And John Goodman’s death…well, I only have a few words to explain that one- The News of the World! That paper was the grand-daddy of misinformation!

There are pages dedicated to believers of The Mandela Effect, all with their own stories, so what’s yours?

WolfesWitch

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I always thought the author Danielle Steel was Steele......
I have spent decades in second hand bookshops.

I actually follow a group on FB about the Mandela effect. There are a few interesting ones

Ingrid1965

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I love a good conspiracy theory. Some are clearly the work of smoking too much Mary Jane or a paranoiac personality disorder, but some have (a little) credence, such as Covid-mania.

One that has caught my attention lately is the Mandela Effect. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s where a large number of people believe an event occurred when it didn’t, such as the population of people that believed Nelson Mandela died in the 80’s-90’s, when in fact he only died in 2013. Often the ‘false memory’ is complex- some remember newspaper stories of his death or newsflashes. The most common Mandela Effects are spellings, such as Bernstain vs Bernstein bears (which I’d never heard of- must be a U.S thing!) or misinformation, such as the location of New Zealand (a large number of people, including myself, thought New Zealand was north-east of Australia, when in fact it’s south-east). The term was coined by Fiona Broome, who discovered that a number of people, including herself, believed Nelson Mandela died in the 80’s in prison.

I was one of those that thought Nelson Mandela died in the 90’s, shortly after he became President of South Africa. I even remember seeing his funeral on the news and Winnie Mandela being referred to as his widow. It was about 10 years later that I found out he was actually alive.

Another is John Goodman. Both my mother and I were big fans of Roseanne and I remember when it ended, both of us were hoping it would make a comeback, then I read in a newspaper that John Goodman had died of a heart attack. I even remember the conversation with her- it was a Sunday morning and I was reading The News of The World. It was about a half a page story and when I told her, she teared up. She’d had a crush on him, as he reminded her of my stepfather who had died years earlier. I even recall when there was gossip that Roseanne was making a comeback that they were going to write his death in as Dan having a heart attack off screen. But alas- he was alive and well, making more movies and returning to Roseanne, and there was no mention at all of him ‘dying’ ever again!

Believers will tell you it’s a glitch in the matrix; a changing of timelines. However, false memories are complex phenomenon and can occur for multiple reasons. When I believed that Nelson Mandela had died, I was teenager-young adult and couldn’t have given less of a shite about political affairs. It could have easily been someone else’s funeral I tagged on to Nelson Mandela. But I can still see Winnie Mandela in my head, bawling and the newsreader referring to her as his widow.
And John Goodman’s death…well, I only have a few words to explain that one- The News of the World! That paper was the grand-daddy of misinformation!

There are pages dedicated to believers of The Mandela Effect, all with their own stories, so what’s yours?
I am not going to read this, if I want to read I take a good book! Be clear and short so you hit where you want to hit and get your thingy over to other people!!!!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Offhand I can't think of any Mandela effect I was part of...
I did invent one for the kids though. All through their childhood they believed that the car wouldn't start unless all the seat belts were fastened.
Well it got them to belt up! I'm not sure exactly when they became aware of my little ruse, but it was well into their teens. :)

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Offhand I can't think of any Mandela effect I was part of...
I did invent one for the kids though. All through their childhood they believed that the car wouldn't start unless all the seat belts were fastened.
Well it got them to belt up! I'm not sure exactly when they became aware of my little ruse, but it was well into their teens. :)
Lmao! (I wish this place would add a laughing smiley to the reply emicons!)
I'm not sure that counts as a Mandela Effect, but I like your thinking ;)

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I always thought the author Danielle Steel was Steele......
I have spent decades in second hand bookshops.

I actually follow a group on FB about the Mandela effect. There are a few interesting ones
I thought it was Danielle Steele too! :oops: My mother used to collect her and Catherine Cookson and I was sure she had a crap load of eee's in her name!

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I am not going to read this, if I want to read I take a good book! Be clear and short so you hit where you want to hit and get your thingy over to other people!!!!
Good- don't read it! No one is holding a gun to your head, sweet cheeks.

Do you run classes? Is 'thingy' a technical term you use in your Forum Writer's tutorials or was that wine-brain?
As I would never dream of trying to teach you how to lush around chat forums and sniff up to bored, horny men looking for something to occupy them while their wives are in the kitchen, please do not try to 'advise' me on how to write a forum post.

Sorry- is that too many words for you to digest?

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Interesting thread, paul ryder from the happy Mondays, said he met someone from the motor racing world, who everyone thinks is dead,I think I saw dale winton at a car boot, but I couldn't be sure it was him

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Mandela effect was basically setting fire to tyres while they were around peoples necks.

Always wondered why Mandela was so reverered.
It was geopolitics for rare minerals, Africa has lots, so let them have thier heroes before it turns into a sh** show again and we can buy rare minerals from the warlords who take over.

Not rocket science.

JoJoTia3rd

Staff member
Reaction score
Another Mandela effect is the Queen song 'We are the champions' I always thought at the end he sings "We are the champions of the world" but apparently Its just 'We are the champions' :oops:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Do TV licence detector vans come under The Mandela Effect?
Remember them? I was watching a programme the other day showing the vans with their impressive antennas and ariels prowling the streets.
Apparently they could even detect which channel you were watching and what room the TV was in, and most believed it. Did that technology
really exist? Now i'm thinking we were all just hoodwinked into getting a licence. :rolleyes:

Back