Suspicion

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Boris is using the Leicester lockdown as an example to the rest of us of what happens if you do a Bournemouth Beach, or a Durdle Door , or any other dangerous gathering!
People were beginning to believe it was all over...and it isn't.

Graham_55

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Boris is using the Leicester lockdown as an example to the rest of us of what happens if you do a Bournemouth Beach, or a Durdle Door , or any other dangerous gathering!

It certainly is not over - I suspect there is something about Leicester that we are not being told that means it has been put on extra lockdown

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
Dong we have closed our beaches once again since there is a rise of covid positive in Florida. I believe this is due to reopening too soon .

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
It certainly is not over - I suspect there is something about Leicester that we are not being told that means it has been put on extra lockdown

What is it you think you are not being told ?

Mr Hancock said that "in some cases" the coronavirus lockdown will be enforced by the police, with legal changes brought in to ensure non-essential retail is no longer open.

The city is reimposing restrictions following a spike in COVID-19 cases.

A total of 10% of all positive cases in the country in the past week have come in the East Midlands city, which means the easing of lockdown across England on Saturday will not take place in Leicester.

Pubs, restaurants, cafes, hairdressers and barbers will remain shut, with people advised against all but essential travel.

Seems pretty clear to me that it's because of a spike in cases.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Dong we have closed our beaches once again since there is a rise of covid positive in Florida. I believe this is due to reopening too soon .
Hello Florida!
It's a tough call for our leaders. Basically it's a choice between the nations health and the nations prosperity.
I'm glad it's not my call!

B

Bad_Influence

Hello Florida!
It's a tough call for our leaders. Basically it's a choice between the nations health and the nations prosperity.

Ain't that the truth? No easy decisions.

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Oh here we go....cue yet another daft conspiracy theory. Sometimes, why can't people just stop trying to make something out of nothing and just accept the facts?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Oh here we go....cue yet another daft conspiracy theory. Sometimes, why can't people just stop trying to make something out of nothing and just accept the facts?
Tell us about the facts BB....and where we got it wrong! :cool:

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

I don't think it's over either, but we certainly can't afford another full lockdown like we have been doing since March. Of course we must think about people's health and lives, but we also must think about the livelihoods of people too. Jobs and the economy are crucial in my opinion. We're going to see more and more people struggling to pay all their bills and debt they've amounted, because of the panic buying phase(thanks a lot MSM). I would assume some people have maxed out their credit cards out of sheer panic during this period.

So i do think we could see a second wave, and determining how the government acts on the second wave, i think will determine what happens with jobs and the economy. I don't think we're no where out of the woods yet, and they did mention that Scotland could have up to a five year recovery, so that is an indication what we could be in for in the next few years.

Last edited:

Merm

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
1 in 2 women and 1 in 3 men will get cancer maybe around 165k people passed from it last year
Governments do not lock down cities to prevent it...I know cancer is not contagious...but things need to be put in perspective.
around 10k people die from flu ...1 person dies from drowning around every 20hours.
Just use common sense the same as if someone had measles/chicken pox or another contagion
A lot of this is due to hospitals sending elderly and vulnerable people back to care homes from hospitals and for those that have lost loved ones due to that behaviour is incomprehensible!

B

Bad_Influence

1 in 2 women and 1 in 3 men will get cancer maybe around 165k people passed from it last year
Governments do not lock down cities to prevent it...I know cancer is not contagious...but things need to be put in perspective.
around 10k people die from flu ...1 person dies from drowning around every 20hours.
Just use common sense the same as if someone had measles/chicken pox or another contagion
A lot of this is due to hospitals sending elderly and vulnerable people back to care homes from hospitals and for those that have lost loved ones due to that behaviour is incomprehensible!

To be fair the care-home stats are completely unfathomable. Medical staff were paid to put COVID-19 on death certificates so we will never know the true figures and especially the figures regarding older people.
Personally, and I said this in these forums before the lock down, I think they should have gone with herd immunity from the start. Yes we’d have lost lives but in hindsight I find it difficult to believe it could have been much worse than it has, and the country would not now be facing such a financial crisis. I’m aware the decision to lock down HAD to be made, particularly but not solely, for political reasons, but I don’t think it had the desired effect.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

I think cancer is still the biggest pandemic of our lifetime, and it's effected so many lives for generations. And you make a great point. We don't shut down our country because people are dying from the deadliest disease known to mankind. Instead, during this lockdown, we have stopped essential, potentially, life saving chemotherapy treatment for those who have been terminally ill from it. So i think on that issue, i don't think we'll be hearing the last of it.

B

Bad_Influence

It’s hardly fair to compare COVID to cancer. COVID is a virus so at least scientists know they have a chance of finding a cure in a sensible timescale. I doubt we’ll ever find a cure for cancer as even the word itself is just a generic term for many similar ailments. (Sorry to those who donate to cancer research charities but your money would be far better spent if donated to those who care for cancer sufferers such as McMillan).
To put a virus in the same envelope as cancer is very strange.

T

ToughType

Hello Florida!
Health comes 1st every time no question, we can always rebuild

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
To be fair the care-home stats are completely unfathomable. Medical staff were paid to put COVID-19 on death certificates so we will never know the true figures and especially the figures regarding older people.
Personally, and I said this in these forums before the lock down, I think they should have gone with herd immunity from the start. Yes we’d have lost lives but in hindsight I find it difficult to believe it could have been much worse than it has, and the country would not now be facing such a financial crisis. I’m aware the decision to lock down HAD to be made, particularly but not solely, for political reasons, but I don’t think it had the desired effect.
""I think they should have gone with herd immunity from the start.""

What this means in effect is allowing the disease to burn itself out, and most of us with it!
I don't really like the sound of that!

B

Bad_Influence

""I think they should have gone with herd immunity from the start.""

What this means in effect is allowing the disease to burn itself out, and most of us with it!
I don't really like the sound of that!

But it wouldn’t have been most. The science suggests that we’d not have lost any more lives that we have. I get that nobody can prove that but as I stated, at least we wouldn’t be financially crippled as we are. I fully understand that no government could take that decision, it would be political suicide, but I still believe that in the long term it would have been beneficial.

Merm

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Well Sweden and I would imagine some other countries would have gone with herd immunity and and contagion will affect people that could be classed as healthy as they maybe dont know they have underlying issues...but those contagions will race through the infirm and elderly and susceptible people on some meds that may affect auto immune system.
Vaccines take many years to find side effects...look at thalidomide for measles ...and hrt for menopause...cancer treatments have been going on since ...well since forever...so there is never going to be a quick fix for anything...but the good news is
keep others safe by applying common sense from what has been learnt...dont spread germs....achoo...cough...scuse me :D

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
But it wouldn’t have been most. The science suggests that we’d not have lost any more lives that we have. I get that nobody can prove that but as I stated, at least we wouldn’t be financially crippled as we are. I fully understand that no government could take that decision, it would be political suicide, but I still believe that in the long term it would have been beneficial.

In this day and age so called Experts have been proven time and again to be wrong.
The lockdown was flawed right from its inception, even SAGE was suggesting not to lockdown 2 days before it commenced.
Boris caved into media and social media pressure.
As we see in some USA states, the release of the still infected back into care homes was a disaster.
That is what was mandated here and in Sweden.
Taking into account the failure to keep sick elderly people within the hospital system has caused most of the casualties.
The actual death rate in Sweden would be even lower if they didn't re-introduce the elderly sick back into the care homes.
Look to Japan and Germany to see what would have happened if they were properly isolated.

Back