"Strawmanning" - What is it? What is it not?

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
When I have a discussion with some people, I see the term "strawmanning" used. I use it myself. So what is it, and what is it not?
The reason for asking this, is some people claim people are strawmanning to try to take away from their argument, and vandalise the core of their discussions.
Conversely, some strawman deliberately, to also distract from the point, and attempt to make the person look silly to other non-thinking ridiculers.

So let's look at the meaning, and some examples as to how it appears, and why people do it.

What is Strawmanning?
According to Grammarly, "A straw man argument, sometimes called a straw person argument or spelled strawman argument, is the logical fallacy of distorting an opposing position into an extreme version of itself and then arguing about that extreme version."

What Does Strawmanning Look Like?
Here is an example of a strawman argument. Take note that firstly, the subject had to be taken off-topic by the attacker, demonstrating either no concept or no regard for the idea of it being in the "Debate" section. The original topic was "Biblical Use of Blood - Was It All About Food?"

Statements made in the article:

1) Eating blood is wrong in God's eyes.
2) Killing people is wrong in God's eyes.
3) Blood is sacred to God, and he expects his followers to use it in the ways he determines it to be used for.

Claim by Strawmanner
1) "Good people" will be damned because they eat black pudding.
2) Murderers though are let off as long as they say sorry.
3) This is why "advanced" countries are seeing a decline in "Christianity".

So, what he did was take the fact that both killing people and eating blood are wrong in God's eyes, and instead twist it into one where God becomes more merciful to one who murders than one who eats blood. Also, note the use of the word "damned". He tacked that on to the eating of black pudding, as though people who had sinned by doing such could not be forgiven, but the murderer could.

The article also stated that it was not for those who did not wish to please God.

Why Do People Strawman?
The most respectful answer is that many people lack comprehension skills, and don't realise they're doing it. They may not have learned the concept of logic in arguments, and in fact may not even know how to present an argument for something. They may only know "argument" as that of having to fight something, rather than presenting a side.

But then there are those who DO know how to argue, but strawman to get on side with the rabble. It is similar to rabblerousing, and generally invokes emotions in people who have little knowledge of a subject matter, and in many cases, no desire to learn of it. This may be so that they can ridicule and make the person feel stupid, even though they themselves are presenting the written evidence that they are not being accurate in their argument, and that they have large jumps in their conclusions, if a thinker was to peruse their statements. The goal is to detract from the subject, and instead evoke an emotional response off-topic, so that the topic is not addressed.

What Strawmanning Is Not
Strawmanning is NOT using an illustration to demonstrate absurdity. It is though an attempt at absurdity, but by deceitful means. To demonstrate absurdity by an argument is sometimes necessary, as people may not be following step-by-step events, and using absurdity can often show a person at what stage their argument fails in some instance.

Also, strawmanning is NOT repeating back "in other words" with the point of trying to honestly understand what the other person has stated, and is fed back as a way to reword it for clarity of understanding. To do this by strawmanning is deceitful, yes, but actually rewording a statement to confirm clarity is not strawmanning. It is good to give feedback to ensure we're understanding something clearly.

Conclusion:
Strawmanning is a technique that revolves around a person either lacking comprehension skills, or deliberately being deceitful by attempting the use of at least one logical fallacy, and arguing it as though it was stated. They may be being deceitful to prevent progress in an argument or a case being put forward, or they may be being deceitful so they don't feel as stupid as they did before they attempted the strawman.

In the above example, it appears the person wasn't deliberately trying to be deceitful.

Last edited:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Lets discect that a little.

A logical fallacy is based on logic.
It is based on factual knowledge.
So you take a statement like "Eating blood is wrong in gods eyes"
Then warp it into "Good people will be murdered because they eat black pudding"

There is no logic in either argument.
Eating blood in gods eyes is an ideological belief.

God murdering people because they eat black pudding, is simply satire.

How can anyone be accused of a logical fallacy when discusing something that is only faith based?
There is no logic to faith, only belief.

Kev45

A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
Reaction score
It is a fact that the original article, originally researched and then written by a Jehovah's Witness, was arguing eating/drinking blood is a sin because God forbids it.

Now you could have revealed that you are a Jehovah Witness, but instead you chose not to.

It is a fact that Jehovah's Witnesses believe non-believers will wipe off the face of the earth.

It is fact that Jehovah's Witnesses believe blood transfusions are also forbidden.

It is a fact, Jehovah's Witnesses believe non-believers will not be saved unless they repent.

It is a fact that Jehovah's Witnesses believe ANYONE can be "saved" if they repent their sins, and including monstrous crimes carried out against children and women.

Mainstream Christianity, of which extremist Jehovah's Witnesses are not, is of course a completely different kettle of fish.

It was entirely reasonable to dismiss a copy and pasted plagiarised essay posted by a meat eating hypocrite, consuming blood by virtue of scoffing meat, by using the examples I gave. :)

Last edited:

A_Son_of_God

Reaction score
Lets discect that a little.

A logical fallacy is based on logic.
It is based on factual knowledge.
So you take a statement like "Eating blood is wrong in gods eyes"
Then warp it into "Good people will be murdered because they eat black pudding"

There is no logic in either argument.
Eating blood in gods eyes is an ideological belief.

God murdering people because they eat black pudding, is simply satire.

How can anyone be accused of a logical fallacy when discusing something that is only faith based?
There is no logic to faith, only belief.
"Let's discect that a little".

A logical fallacy is based on logic. Right. So is the Three Little Pigs based on a true story.

"So you..." No, you're the one doing it. YOU take a statement like "Eating blood is wrong in gods eyes", and YOU Then warp it into "Good people will be murdered becasue they eat black pudding". I didn't. You did.

Because you don't believe in God does not make God disappear from existence. In fact, I wrote a poem about such things. I'll share it with you:

Spinner and the Train
Spinner was a nice chap, but he didn’t believe in trains.
“It’s just your imagination”, he’d say again and again.
Let me tell the story of one day that passed way back,
when Spinner and his buddies came across the railway tracks.

Mandy said to Spinner, “See mate, these are railway tracks.”
Spinner, he just scoffed at her, and as he turned his back,
he laughed, then said to Mandy, “They’re natural, made of iron,
one day they’ll rust and disappear. Take note, for I’m not lying.”

Then George, he questioned Spinner, “But you know they’re made by man?
Formed with heat and pressure, then they’re laid down here by hand.
Trains travel to their places taking people here and there.
There’s still no need to fear them, if you travel them with care.

You get on at a station. The train follows this track.
Many people use them, travelling to work and back.
If you stick around here long enough, a train will soon pass by,
and then for sure you’ll know it, for like you mate, I don’t lie.”

But Spinner answered smugly, “Well, I haven’t seen one yet,
and I’m sure I never will see one, on this I’ll make a bet!
Let me tell you something, as I’ve seen these rails before.
They’re out there in my home town, only metres from my door.

I’ve even walked along them, they go on for many a mile,
but though I’d have walked forever I found the end after a while.
One end’s buried under tar, and after that a building stands,
the other has big blocks of wood, they seem some sort of rams.

They have some other purpose, but the reason isn’t known,
and maybe never will be, well, that’s what history’s shown.
For like I only told you, they’re not for trains, it’s clear,
as I’ve played on them many times, and well look! I’m still here!

But you can believe in Santa, and I’m pretty sure you do,
and then there’s the tooth fairy, and believe in trains too.
But as for me I only believe in things that I can see.
You believe what’s good for you, and I’ll believe for me.”

Mandy, who’s quite irritated by his disbelief in trains
calls out in a sharp way, “Spinner! You’re insane!
For you balance on the rails, while smugly through your teeth you laugh,
and with your stubborn nonchalance, you don’t move from it’s path.

Still, if you haven’t seen one, let me show you of the sign.
That light there being green means that it’s open, that’s this line!
Have you ever seen these lights before? I’m sure for you they’re new,
so get down off those train tracks, for a train is likely due!”

“How do you know one’s coming? Do you have the time or not?
For it’s my fun and freedom being taken, and for what?”
“I don’t have a timetable”, called George, “yet surely soon
a train will be arriving, so get down from there, you goon!”

“Ha! Resort to insults! Now I see my argument’s won!
Now I know that nothing’s coming, I’ll stay here ‘til sets the sun.”
Mandy’s nearly crying as she calls to him in vain,
“Oh, for Pete’s sake Spinner! Here comes the blooming train!

I hear the train tracks tinkle, it means one is on the way.
Please just stop this madness, as you’ll break my heart today!”
But the more that Mandy and George worried, their warnings getting loud,
still Spinner stood his ground on there, both confident and proud.

If it wasn’t on a corner, this could be a happy tale,
but Spinner lacked in foresight, and in wisdom he did fail.
Yet, one thing in his favour is he went and won his bet,
for before that he never saw a train, and still he hasn’t yet.

The train hit Spinner from behind as it came around the bend.
53 freight train carriages brought Spinner to his end.
And sadly on that day, at least two people lost a friend.
The freight train driver ruined, now on Valium he depends.

But take the moral of this story, yes. Oh, please think long and hard.
Is there something you don’t believe in, because of what’s in your yard?
It’s for your good I say this poem, please listen to the signs.
A bigger train is coming, as such. We’re living in those times.
Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it can't be discussed logically. If that was the case, then we'd have no atomic theory. It is using logic on things unseen that such theories have been established.

So I disagree with your premise that because YOU don't believe in God, there is no logical discussion of it possible. But of course, there is no necessity for you and I to discuss it either. That's up to you.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
"Let's discect that a little".

A logical fallacy is based on logic. Right. So is the Three Little Pigs based on a true story.

"So you..." No, you're the one doing it. YOU take a statement like "Eating blood is wrong in gods eyes", and YOU Then warp it into "Good people will be murdered becasue they eat black pudding". I didn't. You did.

Because you don't believe in God does not make God disappear from existence. In fact, I wrote a poem about such things. I'll share it with you:

Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it can't be discussed logically. If that was the case, then we'd have no atomic theory. It is using logic on things unseen that such theories have been established.

So I disagree with your premise that because YOU don't believe in God, there is no logical discussion of it possible. But of course, there is no necessity for you and I to discuss it either. That's up to you.
Disagree with as much as you want but it's actually YOU who is in the wrong. Moriarty didn't once say he was a 'None believer'.

Kev45

Reaction score
The OP strawmanning on a thread HE wrote about strawman.

Oh, the irony.

Lol! Bless.

:)

A_Son_of_God

Reaction score
Disagree with as much as you want but it's actually YOU who is in the wrong. Moriarty didn't once say he was a 'None believer'.
Therefore, you missed the point.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Therefore, you missed the point.
I didn't miss the point. I hit a raw nerve in your assumption about folk.

Stop assuming things about folk. Before you get yourself into trouble.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
At least someone gets it.

I'm not arrogant enough to be certain there is or is not a god or gods.
I simply don't "Know"

Hence I am agnostic.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
At least someone gets it.

I'm not arrogant enough to be certain there is or is not a god or gods.
I simply don't "Know"

Hence I am agnostic.
I think we ALL have to remain Agnostic. As you say...No one knows.

But...there's always a but...!

Science and evolution doesn't point to a 'Creator' to be needed for human evolution.

We can trace our DNA back to a common ancestor.. Which was the APE.

That's FACT. Unless the creator GOD wanted to deceive us in some underhand way...This is how we came to be Humans.

There is no factual evidence of a 'Creator'. I doubt there ever will be.

When we talk of God's we are talking about something that is 'Supernatural'...one can never Disprove or Prove the Supernatural.

What we CAN prove is DNA records.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
All we can prove is that we share DNA traits.
Evolution is a theory.
It's a logical theory yes, however, the bigger question is how DNA exists.
We could go into evolutionary biology, or high and low entropy energy theories as a source of life.
The problem remains, we dont "Know".

Which make speculation of the history of the universe as random as faith.
I can no more prove the big bang theory than a creator, neither can you or anyone else.
We have a limited understanding of what we know we dont know, but a much bigger problem with we dont know what we dont know.

Kev45

Reaction score
Claim by Strawmanner
1) "Good people" will be damned because they eat black pudding.
2) Murderers though are let off as long as they say sorry.
3) This is why "advanced" countries are seeing a decline in "Christianity".

Ironically, given the subject of the thread, sly misquotes by the OP and bears no relation whatsoever, in context, to what I actually typed in reaction to his post (the last two paragraphs). :)

"... so they don't feel as stupid as they did before they attempted the strawman... Again for the dummies.... lacking comprehension skill.... You lack thinking ability, and I think for medical reasons... demon hoardes... I suggest you see a doctor... It must be the education system lacking... monkey in a cage here have a banana"... etc etc.

"Just as you want men to do to you, do the same way to them." — LUKE 6:31 (Jehovah doctrine).

The OP, somewhat rather bizarrely, repeatedly acknowledged (insincerely) in the previous thread that he is well aware that not everyone shares his views, claimed that his post wasn't aimed at them in particular and yet immediately and aggressively jumped on my immediate response (not aimed at him), like a ravenous, starving hyena gnawing on a newborn and totally innocent gazelle foal. :eek:

The OP posted quotes that he claims are directly from the Bible, failing to mention either he is a Jehovah Witness or/and that the stance is. So basically explaining to his audience, who "asked" him apparently, why Christianity holds those particular views on the consumption of blood and was it just about food (from a Biblical stance). The 'article' itself that he part quoted (which was actually quotations from a book) originated from the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, and a translation of the Bible which was actually only written in 1961 and which is a modern translation, among many, much earlier translations of the Bible.

To give a taste of Jehovah Witness doctrine, in the thread he also stated, "there are much healthier, higher quality ways of helping a child instead of giving them a blood transfusion" and which is a belief held by Jehovah Witnesses and an extreme stance which British courts have overruled as recently as 2019 and quite rightly in favour of a very sick child, death a real possibility, with sickle cell disease. :rolleyes:

The main issue I have with someone part quoting the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures is that Jehovah Witnesses views are extreme in direct comparison to mainstream Christianity than the OP let on and that the OP communicated. Again, this is just my opinion, the OP deceitfully presented only part of the picture in an attempt to try and deceive people that what he appeared to be arguing is moderate within mainstream Christianity as a whole, the norm, and which it most certainly is not.

An argument based on the "Biblical Use of Blood - Was it All About Food" is an open-ended debate, there are numerous avenues that it could travel, and the direction of which that he angrily tried controlling and then censoring.

All which would be a bit like me trying to sell a battered rusty old banger cheaply, that I claim has a fantastic engine, but then refusing to let a potential buyer fire it up and check under the bonnet. Or a slippery salesman trying to sell a basic loan but deliberately neglecting to mention the severe financial penalties if even a single payment is missed. :cool:

So regarding the false premise of this thread... a "strawman"... "My arse", as Jim Royle might say.

Oh, I also confused Jehovah with devout Catholicism earlier in the thread, which I only noticed today and which I have subsequently edited, my error. Jehovah Witnesses don't actually believe that there is a hell in the traditional sense of the word. Their afterlife is far more exclusive, and only 144,000 of the chosen ones, the anointed and not all Jehovah Witnesses come to that, get to enjoy it. :rolleyes:

A_Son_of_God

Reaction score
I didn't miss the point. I hit a raw nerve in your assumption about folk.

Stop assuming things about folk. Before you get yourself into trouble.
Not at all. He just stated he doesn't know. Therefore he does not believe in God. He doesn't know. That means that - let me make it clear for you - he doesn't know.
I simply don't "Know"
This might be hard for you to understand, but if a person doesn't know a thing, it is impossible for them to believe it.

For instance, "I don't know if drinking coffee is nice, because I've never drank it" is a person who doesn't know. But what they can't say is this.
"I love drinking coffee because I've never drank it."

Additionally, you did miss the point. It was on strawmanning. I know its hard when you have a predisposition to be a hateful person. It's okay though, because this is your system. It is your terms that are being allowed to be demonstrated. Enjoy while you can.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
All we can prove is that we share DNA traits.
Evolution is a theory.
It's a logical theory yes, however, the bigger question is how DNA exists.
We could go into evolutionary biology, or high and low entropy energy theories as a source of life.
The problem remains, we dont "Know".

Which make speculation of the history of the universe as random as faith.
I can no more prove the big bang theory than a creator, neither can you or anyone else.
We have a limited understanding of what we know we dont know, but a much bigger problem with we dont know what we dont know
DNA exist because of Exploding stars. All the molecules contained within DNA came from exploding stars.

It's not so hard to understand.

Here's an analogy.

DNA is a CODE.

All codes we know of were created.

Therefore DNA was created.

>????

The Big Bang theory is flawed. The Red shift values are all wrong.

At the end of the day WE don't know about somethings.

But we do know a lot about others.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Not at all. He just stated he doesn't know. Therefore he does not believe in God. He doesn't know. That means that - let me make it clear for you - he doesn't know.

This might be hard for you to understand, but if a person doesn't know a thing, it is impossible for them to believe it.

For instance, "I don't know if drinking coffee is nice, because I've never drank it" is a person who doesn't know. But what they can't say is this.
"I love drinking coffee because I've never drank it."

Additionally, you did miss the point. It was on strawmanning. I know its hard when you have a predisposition to be a hateful person. It's okay though, because this is your system. It is your terms that are being allowed to be demonstrated. Enjoy while you can.
Let ME make something CLEAR to You. I'm far from a hateful person.

All the agro is coming from YOU.

Wake up.

A_Son_of_God

Reaction score
Let ME make something CLEAR to You. I'm far from a hateful person.

All the agro is coming from YOU.

Wake up.
Let me quote something from you. I don't understand your meaning then if it isn't hateful. Maybe you'd be good enough to explain, so that it is clear. This is what you said to me on the other thread.

Prior to who? Mother Fekker.

Who came before Noah?

Say that again you freak. PRIOR to WHO?
Besides not making sense, it seems pretty hateful. You're asking me to explain something that doesn't even make sense compared to the statement it's made in. You also call me a mofo and a freak. With emphasis. If it isn't hateful, was it a joke? Please explain.
And no, the agro is not from me. And I'm wide awake.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
DNA exist because of Exploding stars. All the molecules contained within DNA came from exploding stars.

It's not so hard to understand.

Here's an analogy.

DNA is a CODE.

All codes we know of were created.

Therefore DNA was created.

>????

The Big Bang theory is flawed. The Red shift values are all wrong.

At the end of the day WE don't know about somethings.

But we do know a lot about others.

DNA exists because of exploding stars.
DNA was created.
The Big Bang theory is flawed.

Elaborate?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
DNA exists because of exploding stars.
DNA was created.
The Big Bang theory is flawed.

Elaborate?
OK.. I'll try.

DNA exists because of exploding stars. (Science)

DNA IS a CODE. ( It is... A Digital 4 letter code. A.C.G.T. ) All Codes we know of were created. (Religion)

The Big Bang theory is flawed because the Red shift values are wrong.

The RED shift values do not match up to what we observe right now.

Something is off.

Recently we now understand that the Universe may well be 26 Billion years old instead of 13.8.

What will we get wrong next?

Last edited:

A_Son_of_God

Reaction score
OK.. I'll try.

DNA exists because of exploding stars. (Science)

DNA IS a CODE. ( It is... A Digital 4 letter code. A.C.G.T. ) All Codes we know of were created. (Religion)

The Big Bang theory is flawed because the Red shift values are wrong.

The RED shift values do not match up to what we observe right now.

Something is off.

Recently we now understand that the Universe may well be 26 Billion years old instead of 13.8.

What will we get wrong next?
There are a lot of things - even I'll brazenly state, the majority of things that we "know", and "profess" with our expert opinions, and diss and treat as morons those who disagree with us, that will be proven to be wrong.

All that happens to those who ridicule difference of opinion will be shown to be are not experts, know-it-alls, or people of interest, but their brief statements will be shown that they were ridiculers. Nothing else.

I agree with you on some of these things, and disgree with others. On some, they'll be right. On others, they'll be wrong.

Technology cannot progress in any form to benefit the earth while a foul stench of each other is the prominent air. All it does is allow for exploitation by the leeches, and then the bombing by the disgraceful dogs, while the people run around like cattle when a dingo attacks. If the people were united, they'd be able to use their brains in a beneficial way. Instead though, we're trained to be competitive, and some feign their intelligence by bluff, my misapplying things that are stated, and presenting false arguments, claiming something was said that wasn't meant or implied, or vice versa, denying it meant something, and tangentially leaning away from it.

In fact, here's a little poem about it.

Insinuation
Insinuation is like dirt, it seems.
Here's the predicament.
It isn't so much what I said,
But if what I sediment.

Back