Sperm and egg donation

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Here is our current law:

REMOVAL OF ANONYMITY​

On the 1st of April 2005 a law came into effect with respect to sperm donation. Once donor-conceived people reach the age of 18 they are legally allowed to find out the identity of the sperm donor who donated to their parent(s). This ‘removal of anonymity’ law came about after studies carried out on adopted and donor-conceived children found that they benefitted emotionally from knowing who their biological parents were; regardless of whether they had any contact with them.

Sperm donors​

If you donate sperm through a Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) licensed clinic, you will not:

• be the legal parent of any child born
  • have any legal obligation to any child born
  • have any rights over how the child will be brought up
  • be asked to support the child financially
  • be named on the birth certificate

But this may change soon.

Its all to do with the rights of the child.

The courts are being ask if a "donor" is responsible for the needs of the child? Right now there a few cases going thru the courts arguing this point. One is being brought by a child of a "donor" who died in his 40's leaving a house, savings and pension plan. The man had no other family and the child is making a claim on this estate.

Another case is that of a man who wife couldn't have kids without an egg doner. The man's wife left him and now he's in financial difficulties. The "donor" is now being asked for child support in the UK. The child is now in care.

20 years ago both of these cases would have been thrown out, not even making it to court. For years the adoption laws have applied to children of IVF but these are now seen as "out of date".

The question for the courts is:

Who is a parent of an IVF child?

For me the whole point of having a child is to pass on DNA. I agree with the right of a child to know who both his parents are too. But....while people agree before the child is born using IVF to no contact and no support, the child as no say in the matter. And I feel children of IVF will make increasing numbers of claims ageist "donors" over the coming years.

And the courts are starting to take these claims seriously.

While those who have a child using IVF maybe over the moon, if they run out of money, they will run to the courts. If a child feels they may have had a better life with the "donor" they will run to the courts. If the child is born outside UK or to non UK citizens they may seek UK citizenship thru the courts.

While donating is a wonderful way to help people, it may come back and bite you in the ass. In America this is already happening. Until the UK cleans up this mess and brings in a new law, I'd warn anyone ageist donating sperm or eggs.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The whole basis of sperm donations is anonymity.
Hence anything which breaches that is up to the donor.

There should never be a case where an anonymous donor is liable.
Otherwise it defeats the whole point.

I can no more sue my biological father for bringing me into this world than I can a sperm donor.
After all it was a mother who actually birthed me.

So the responsibility lies not with the donor, but with the host.

In simplistic terms, if I give you a gun, I have no responsibility on how you use it.
How you use it depends on who and why you were given the life you have.

Tis the same with procreation.
Always remember, every time you shoot, there may be a victim.
I have a mate who has 8 kids from 3 different women, I ask him why he keeps fecking around, he says, "Why not", I tell him he is an asshole cause, kids, he says, they dont need me.

Because they don't, if the mother needs benefits.

Better he is out of the picture.
Is this what the sexual liberation was about?

Kids in deprivation?

Single women having to take shitty jobs or rely on the state because men arent actually men any more, they hump and feck off..

Makes me sad.

Sorry rambling.

BlackMagicBabeXx

“Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
Reaction score
FFS I havnt been on forums for a while and today I m seeing sex ads how low can this site go ? under the belly of a worm it seems

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score

Moriarty its really confusing right now.​

If an America service man who's station donates in the UK ... then USA law applies. He has to pay child support and the child is a US citizen.
If a UK sailor donates while in port in the USA, the same is true. Child support and dual UK and USA citizenship.
If a woman donates eggs in German and those receiving the egg are on a work visa or gone there for IVF treatment, the family can move to the UK. (EU, UK and country of origin citizenship)

There is a case from 2004 were a women from China came Ireland while pregnant and had a baby.

Ms Man Levette Chen went to Belfast in 2001 to give birth to a daughter, Catherine, after a lawyer advised her that the child would acquire Irish nationality. Ms Chen had already given birth to a son in China in 1998 and having a second child would have put her at odds with China's "one child policy".

Ms Chen and her daughter now live in Cardiff but the British authorities have rejected their application to reside permanently in the UK. When Ms Chen appealed the decision, the British immigration appeals authority asked the European Court of Justice to determine if, as an Irish national and EU citizen, Catherine was entitled to remain in Britain and if Ms Chen should be allowed to remain with her.

The Advocate General, whose advice is usually followed by the court, said yesterday that Catherine enjoyed the right of free movement and residence within the EU and that the UK action constituted discrimination on the grounds of nationality.

Following this ruling others are now arguing a baby born thru IVF from a UK/EU donator have the right to live and work in the UK/EU.

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Amazon River runs for thousands of miles. At some points it runs through areas of the rain forest that are almost untouched and have been barely explored. Because of the porous limestone in these areas, the river water seeps through the stone and travels deep into the earth and forms underground pools deep below the surface. Over tens of thousands of years, small blind fish have lived and evolved in these pools. These fish have never seen the sun or the surface and have never been seen by the human eye. These fish care more about the useless sh.it of the above posts than I do.

LoveLiesBleeding

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Here is our current law:

But this may change soon.

Its all to do with the rights of the child.

The courts are being ask if a "donor" is responsible for the needs of the child? Right now there a few cases going thru the courts arguing this point. One is being brought by a child of a "donor" who died in his 40's leaving a house, savings and pension plan. The man had no other family and the child is making a claim on this estate.

Another case is that of a man who wife couldn't have kids without an egg doner. The man's wife left him and now he's in financial difficulties. The "donor" is now being asked for child support in the UK. The child is now in care.

20 years ago both of these cases would have been thrown out, not even making it to court. For years the adoption laws have applied to children of IVF but these are now seen as "out of date".

The question for the courts is:

Who is a parent of an IVF child?

For me the whole point of having a child is to pass on DNA. I agree with the right of a child to know who both his parents are too. But....while people agree before the child is born using IVF to no contact and no support, the child as no say in the matter. And I feel children of IVF will make increasing numbers of claims ageist "donors" over the coming years.

And the courts are starting to take these claims seriously.

While those who have a child using IVF maybe over the moon, if they run out of money, they will run to the courts. If a child feels they may have had a better life with the "donor" they will run to the courts. If the child is born outside UK or to non UK citizens they may seek UK citizenship thru the courts.

While donating is a wonderful way to help people, it may come back and bite you in the ass. In America this is already happening. Until the UK cleans up this mess and brings in a new law, I'd warn anyone ageist donating sperm or eggs.
Don't worry yourself, very much doubt any samples you may have left made it past quality control.

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Can we all try and stay on subject?

Back