Sour Grapes?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Well, not all grapes are sour but many are...as are strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, peaches, pears, oranges, plums, cherries, pineapples, mangoes and any other five a day friend you care to buy.
Why?
They mostly say 'home maturing", or some such rubbish.
What this means is leave them in a bowl to "mature" and you end up with a bowl of green slime: a rotted mess of expensive fruits.
It was different in 'the old days.' Then fruit came from our countryside, not the other side of the world.
Supermarts have a lot to answer for!

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I find supermarket quality of fruit and veg to be very poor. I could play cricket with those "Ripen At Home" plums and nectarines. Asda used to be great for a variety of fruit and veg that you couldn't get in other supermarkets, but now I will usually go to the green grocers, who offer some fantastic fresh produce that they grow on their farms. I don't mind spending extra for quality either.

Last edited:

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
There is some hope. Our famous market will sometimes have fruit that is fit to eat, but you have to get it when it is there and eat it ASAP.
We have been buying from there for many years and do sometimes get some very good stuff....but never from supermarts,

Back