Recognition - International Nurses Day

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
International Nurses Day

In March 2020, Miranda Edge, 24, had only been qualified as a staff nurse for 6 months when she learned that the post-surgical ward she worked on in the West Midlands, UK, was to become a COVID ward.

“Full masks, visors, gowns, gloves. It was very, very stringent,” remembers Miranda. “If I forgot something outside the ward, I just had to do without it, because once I was in personal protective equipment, there was no popping out to get it. I was sweating from everywhere and felt very claustrophobic. I also felt that I wasn’t an actual human anymore. I'd be coming to patients almost like an alien. There was no personality behind it.”

“The hardest thing about working with patients who were really sick with COVID-19 was the fact that they didn't know what was happening to them. I had patients say to me, ‘Don't let me die. I'm scared.’ That kind of thing stays with you.

“What stays with me is the feeling of helplessness. My job as a nurse is to help people and that's all I've ever been trained to do.”

International Nurses Day, recognises the dedication and professionalism of nurses everywhere, which during the pandemic have been tested as never before.

nurse.jpg

Last edited:

Lucylockett

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I am proud to be a nurse but me and most of the colleagues feel drained and traumatised from the past 2 years. Many nurses have left nursing and many more talk about leaving. We are trained but we are also only human . We have emotions and feelings and it’s only human for us to struggle at times.

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I am proud to be a nurse but me and most of the colleagues feel drained and traumatised from the past 2 years. Many nurses have left nursing and many more talk about leaving. We are trained but we are also only human . We have emotions and feelings and it’s only human for us to struggle at times.

Thank you for everything you and your colleagues have had to deal with through Covid and all. You have saved millions of lives. It must have been and still is so traumatic. I hope you continue to cope. We who care have your back.

You should feel so proud.

I applaud you.

daisy face gif.gif

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It's a job, they should be glad they have one.

Perhaps we should re-introduce the "International Unemployed Day" of March 6th.
Maybe the Communists did something right for once back in 1930.

After all, seems a lot of Nurses are ending up unemployed.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Thank you for everything you and your colleagues have had to deal with through Covid and all. You have saved millions of lives. It must have been and still is so traumatic. I hope you continue to cope. We who care have your back.

You should feel so proud.

I applaud you.

View attachment 9806
In case you forget ...it isn`t over yet !
Covid is still a killer Virus ,don`t be swaid by Boris.

Back