Reality is your field perceived.....

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Equally, I would proffer that 'reality is your perceived field'. Field being representative of what someone might perceive.
in my personal experience, not everything is crystal clear.

Therefore, I am not quite sure what particular point you are making, in spite of your metaphorical illustration.
Perhaps you might elaborate on this? ...
:confused:

Aqua1

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Equally, I would proffer that 'reality is your perceived field'. Field being representative of what someone might perceive.
in my personal experience, not everything is crystal clear.

Therefore, I am not quite sure what particular point you are making, in spite of your metaphorical illustration.
Perhaps you might elaborate on this? ...
:confused:
Firstly, no not everything is Crystal clear, you're right. What it says is, your perception of your reality is based on your individual beliefs and how you choose to live and be. This may not be the reality of others as we all have different beliefs and ways of doing and being, therefor, neither way is good nor bad and our worlds are a kaleidoscope of many different colours and scenery depending on whose viewing.
Basically, in my opinion, live your life your way and don't opinionate on others that may not tick your boxes.......
In other words, nurture and tend your own self and let others do theirs!
Too many people have a tendency to judge others and have something negative to say about it just because it's not how they view life.
We are all different and should be valued as such.

Have a very good day!

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Firstly, no not everything is Crystal clear, you're right. What it says is, your perception of your reality is based on your individual beliefs and how you choose to live and be. This may not be the reality of others as we all have different beliefs and ways of doing and being, therefor, neither way is good nor bad and our worlds are a kaleidoscope of many different colours and scenery depending on whose viewing.
Basically, in my opinion, live your life your way and don't opinionate on others that may not tick your boxes.......
Too many people have a tendency to judge others and have something negative to say about it just because it's not how they view life.

Have a very good day!

Objective truth is real.
Subjective truth is how one percieves reality.

Very different things.

There is always a singular underlying truth to every event, that we see it differently, don't understand it or don't even comprehend it cannot detract from objective truth being real.

The problem is, how do we find objective truth.
Only through conflicting ideas, then research, then evidence.

So If I have an opinion and you have an opinion, how do we find something close to objectivity.
Only through debate, by challenging ideas and finding common ground.

So I disagree, one cannot stand idly by and watch bad ideas forment, they should be open to debate and thought.

Only then can we avoid silly, dangerous or genocidal ideas from becoming main stream.

One doesn't have to look to long ago into the past to see people demanding those who didn`t wear a mask should be shunned from society, when anyone who actually looked at the data knew it made no difference.

Subjectivity is coloured by what one thinks one knows, not what can be proved.
As such it should always be challenged, otherwise there will never be progress.

Aqua1

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Objective truth is real.
Subjective truth is how one percieves reality.

Very different things.

There is always a singular underlying truth to every event, that we see it differently, don't understand it or don't even comprehend it cannot detract from objective truth being real.

The problem is, how do we find objective truth.
Only through conflicting ideas, then research, then evidence.

So If I have an opinion and you have an opinion, how do we find something close to objectivity.
Only through debate, by challenging ideas and finding common ground.

So I disagree, one cannot stand idly by and watch bad ideas forment, they should be open to debate and thought.

Only then can we avoid silly, dangerous or genocidal ideas from becoming main stream.

One doesn't have to look to long ago into the past to see people demanding those who didn`t wear a mask should be shunned from society, when anyone who actually looked at the data knew it made no difference.

Subjectivity is coloured by what one thinks one knows, not what can be proved.
As such it should always be challenged, otherwise there will never be progress.
I'm talking in general......let's just leave it, we are on different sides of the river!

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm talking in general......let's just leave it, we are on different sides of the river!
I understand and agree with you, yes I was being abstract.

I would ask one question though.
If someone you trust gives you thier opinion would you consider making a change to yourself?

Or if you advised a friend to change something about themselves, if they asked.
Then they did.

Does that not mean you or someone you know can change or be changed based on your opinion, if they trust it?

That makes how people interact in the personal just as important as how scientists around the world research and change.

It's always the little things that change thinking.
The thinking changes lives, at scale.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score

Have a very good day!
I appreciate your reply.
I rather get the impression that your point was basically that we all see the same things differently. Of that there can be no argument.
I found Moriarty's comments to be very pertinent to the whole concept of human perception, especially the differentiation between subjective and objective perception.

I wonder if anyone else will contribute to this discussion as, expectedly, it appears to have attracted very few responses.

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
I disagree with "nothing is true or false", unless it is a mathematical statement, like this:

"(0 = (TRUE) OR (FALSE))"

Still, specific parameters are needed to make it useful. It means little on its own. All it shows from here is that although nothing is true or false, it doesn't mean that nothing is true AND false. We can theorise many parameters where this can be the case of 0 being true, or 0 being false, but not both, as that's a different argument.
I'm also yet to hear of a judge pardoning a person because the convicted person has a different interpretation of the law. Therefore, there are some things that are definitely true, or definitely false. At the same time, what might be true in some circumstances may be false in others, but again, those parameters need defining. For instance, did the person break the law for riding his motorcycle without a helmet? That'd depend on the country, and even the circumstances.

That said, yes, we can shuffle things and use other conditions/circumstances to determine parameters. Still, that doesn't mean there is no true or false.

As Moriarty stated, Objective, or Subjective is a good way to explain it.

Aqua1

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I understand and agree with you, yes I was being abstract.

I would ask one question though.
If someone you trust gives you thier opinion would you consider making a change to yourself?

Or if you advised a friend to change something about themselves, if they asked.
Then they did.

Does that not mean you or someone you know can change or be changed based on your opinion, if they trust it?

That makes how people interact in the personal just as important as how scientists around the world research and change.

It's always the little things that change thinking.
The thinking changes lives, at scale.
Your question........depending on what the change is, I would have no objection to a trusted friend giving me their opinion. My answer to that is did I ask for it?, If so then I would consider their opinion and if it felt right for me then I may make the changes.
Personally, I wouldn't advise a friend to change unless they specifically asked, and then it would only be suggestions for them to consider.
I think someone can change or be changed yes, but they have to want to be not because a 'friend' has voiced an opinion or advised them to.
Always a pleasure Moriarty......have a good day!

Aqua1

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I appreciate your reply.
I rather get the impression that your point was basically that we all see the same things differently. Of that there can be no argument.
I found Moriarty's comments to be very pertinent to the whole concept of human perception, especially the differentiation between subjective and objective perception.

I wonder if anyone else will contribute to this discussion as, expectedly, it appears to have attracted very few responses.
Thank you for your comments, I hadn't expected it to get so deep lol!
I'm a live and let live kinda person and that's basically how I read the post. In a generalised view of society it would be nice if people weren't so quick to judge others in a negative way, and just accepted differences as part of the whole.
Obviously on a larger scale I have opinions yes.......cruelty, poverty, abuse, greed, don't get me started, but I'm just referring to a more social and communal sense of being.
Actions and reactions yes, but we are all walking each other home just on different routes!
Namaste.

Aqua1

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I disagree with "nothing is true or false", unless it is a mathematical statement, like this:

"(0 = (TRUE) OR (FALSE))"

Still, specific parameters are needed to make it useful. It means little on its own. All it shows from here is that although nothing is true or false, it doesn't mean that nothing is true AND false. We can theorise many parameters where this can be the case of 0 being true, or 0 being false, but not both, as that's a different argument.
I'm also yet to hear of a judge pardoning a person because the convicted person has a different interpretation of the law. Therefore, there are some things that are definitely true, or definitely false. At the same time, what might be true in some circumstances may be false in others, but again, those parameters need defining. For instance, did the person break the law for riding his motorcycle without a helmet? That'd depend on the country, and even the circumstances.

That said, yes, we can shuffle things and use other conditions/circumstances to determine parameters. Still, that doesn't mean there is no true or false.

As Moriarty stated, Objective, or Subjective is a good way to explain it.
I agree that law is law, rules are rules etc.
I think my post has been taken way out of context and certainly wasn't a catalyst for provoking any anger or discontent.
It was just an acknowledgement of understanding that we don't all fit into one box and can never be determined as so. Accepting and appreciating different views and it's neither right nor wrong to have a belief of your own.
Some see the world as dark, some see it as light.
Some believe in an afterlife, some see it as a nothing.
Some vote Conservative, some vote Labour
And so it goes on.
So back to the post........ Everyones reality is different due to how they see it.
Thankyou!

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
I agree that law is law, rules are rules etc.
I think my post has been taken way out of context and certainly wasn't a catalyst for provoking any anger or discontent.
It was just an acknowledgement of understanding that we don't all fit into one box and can never be determined as so. Accepting and appreciating different views and it's neither right nor wrong to have a belief of your own.
Some see the world as dark, some see it as light.
Some believe in an afterlife, some see it as a nothing.
Some vote Conservative, some vote Labour
And so it goes on.
So back to the post........ Everyones reality is different due to how they see it.
Thankyou!
Just a side point. Did you perceive anger in that post somewhere?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

True.
However, underlying objective reality does not change, just our perception of it.
Although perception can change reality for others in many different ways.
Religion, Politics and therefore War, all the same thing, they equate to conflict of ideas over objective reality vrs subjuctive reality.

So no.
"Nothing is true or false"

Is wrong, irrespective of :-
"The colour of the crystal you see it through"

Because reality cares little for ones perception or comprehension of it.
It simply "is" reality.

However, the salient point is, how we see our perceived reality can have very detrimental effects not only on ourselves but on the world at large.

That is why one can never take a singular perception of reality as "Gospel" or "Known" or "Right".
Those that do tend to try to enforce it, usually it ends badly.

There is only one thing we can be certain of in life, that we know a hell of a lot less than we think we do and form opinions based on limited knowledge.

Either that knowledge is hidden from us, by design or choice to not accept it, or we simply dont know.
Or more accurately, we dont know what we dont know.

Reality is a mystery that we think we can percieve through religion, thought or science, they are all the same.
A search for meaning.

We can no more understand the wind, than we can the workings of the brain.
We cannot comprehend the complexity of our own psychology with the very brain we are meant to be studying.

Our intellect is not sufficient to understand ourselves and how we work, so how can we possibly understand the universe, or faith, or the infinite?

Yet there is one simple truth, reality is what it is.
"Nothing is true or false"

Is wrong because everything we know is based on what we know "Now", in the future, that may change.

Now if you had said:-
"Everything is true or false"
I would say that was closer to truth.

Back